Is diluting for 2nd distillation really required?

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alcojack
Novice

Is diluting for 2nd distillation really required?

Post by Alcojack »

Hi,
Most distillers I know (and me too) dilute the alcohol down to 30%-50% ABV for the 2nd and 3rd distillation. I saw this practice mentioned in some books as well, but I couldn't find the theory behind it.
If anyone here knows the reason for this I would be happy to finally understand what I'm doing... :)

Happy Distillation

Jack
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is diluting for 2nd distillation really required?

Post by Swedish Pride »

alcohol is flammable above 40%, so here its advocated to dilute down to at least 40% so your boiler charge isn't flammable.
I strip down to 30% so a non issue for me
Don't be a dick
Alcojack
Novice

Post by Alcojack »

Thanks!
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Swedish Pride wrote:alcohol is flammable above 40%, so here its advocated to dilute down to at least 40% so your boiler charge isn't flammable.
Hi SP,

Note that alcohol is flammable above 40% at room temperature. Even wine is flammable when it's boiling.

M
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Ok, I had wanted to ask the same question myself just because I have read many times that it should be done that way but nowhere is it explained why that I have been able to find on the site. I have looked at the parent site and have done a few different google searches over the last while but have not found what I considered to be a satisfactory technical answer. I had planned on doing some more searching before asking but since I stumbled on this thread I figured I would jump on the band wagon here. Even looked up the auto ignition temperature of pure ethanol because people keep saying you must dilute it or the still will go "boom". The auto ignition temp is well above the boiling point of ethanol.
Swedish Pride wrote:alcohol is flammable above 40%, so here its advocated to dilute down to at least 40% so your boiler charge isn't flammable.
I'm not sure I see the logic to this explanation because we all know a leaking still is an extreme hazard and that any leak can be potentially deadly. I am not trying to downplay the hazards here but the truth is that a still while operating normally has flammable vapours in the pot above the wash as well as in the column and flammable liquid in the column and in the condenser. Particularly a reflux column that is producing ethanol with a purity of 90% and above.

At the moment this is all academic for me as I am happy with single distillation in my pot still. However I am considering sometime in the future doing some redistilling to have some more neutral spirits for flavouring and making apple pie and the like. I am really curious if there is another reason other than the flammability issue. Through my searches I have run across a thread or two where people have said they have done it with no consequences.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I think, it was a good decicion for safety, that the moderators set a limit on abv in the boiler. If it is 30, 40 or 50% is not really important perhaps, because of course even only 5% in the boiler can get concentrated to 95% in a single reflux run and explode. But if there is a failure, it's always better to have less abv in the boiler.

Anyway, in practice there is no benefit running more than 40%, because:
-if you make neutral, it turns out better, if you dilute with water before the spirit run.
-if you make whisky, IMO it turns out better, if you strip down longer to a lower total abv than 40%.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

+1 der wo...

Water is the best filter. Every time you dilute it for the next distillation you remove some impurities.

Think disaster! If your boiler broke with hot 50% in it, or your condensing water suddenly stopped, your chance of a fire is far greater than at 35%.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

We have discussed the WHY behind diluting boiler charges to 40% ABV or lower ad nauseam... Say you have a boiler full of 40% ABV low wines and you heat it up... As the still is reaching boiling temperature there is a catastrophic failure - perhaps a split seam... "Theoretically", that 40% boiler charge could be flammable at near boiling... However, as soon as the liquid hits walls, the floor, the ceiling, it will cool to below the ignition point... With higher %ABV low wines the spirits would continue to burn where they land... 40% ABV/80 proof spirits don't burn easily... Anyone who has doubts can do their own experiments in a safe and controlled manner... I've done so and know that 40% is the maximum I will ever charge my boiler with, and usually only 35% for an extra bit of safety margin...

There may be a chart kicking around here that provides the temperature at which spirits of given %ABV will remain volatile...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Some commercials do run higher abv in their high wines for the third distillation, or Jamaican style second thumper and I'm sure they have good reasons for that, but don't know what they are.

If your boiler charge is on the walls and ceiling, you are probably taking a visit to the burns unit regardless of the abv in the boiler, so make sure that cannot happen.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

NZChris wrote:If your boiler charge is on the walls and ceiling, you are probably taking a visit to the burns unit regardless of the abv in the boiler, so make sure that cannot happen.
Much wisdom is to be gleaned from this quote :think:
DAD300 wrote:Water is the best filter. Every time you dilute it for the next distillation you remove some impurities.
I believe this is the best reason to dilute.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

on my 11 Imperial gallon keg, I always need to put in 3 gallons water so as to cover my heating element, so there is no fear of boiling dry. and therefore the spirit charge is always diluted
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

DAD300 wrote:Water is the best filter. Every time you dilute it for the next distillation you remove some impurities.
+1 for that.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

DAD300 wrote:Water is the best filter. Every time you dilute it for the next distillation you remove some impurities
That's fine if you are making neutral, but for flavored products, the "impurities" are your flavours.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Squint wrote:on my 11 Imperial gallon keg, I always need to put in 3 gallons water so as to cover my heating element, so there is no fear of boiling dry. and therefore the spirit charge is always diluted
That is more like it.
The wish to dilute to 30 % is for reasons of taste, not for safety. So it is a valid reason, but not in this discussion.

The question is: is a load of a maximum of 40 vol-% really required for safety reasons?
I had a still that was really airtight. So the only contact of alcohol with the outside was the outlet of my condenser. I kept that at low temperature and and safe distance from my heatsource.

So for safety reasons I had no restrictions on the fill of my kettle. But there are practical reasons not to go over 40 vol-%.

1) You have to have sufficient fluid in your kettle when you are finished. So you have to have enough water in your kettle. When you distill 40 % the first drops will be about 80 %, but as your load will be exhausted you will lose more water from your kettle. You want to have enough remaining fluid in your kettle. At least: I want to have that.
2) In a pott stil a load of 40 vol-% gives a destillate of 77 vol-%, a load of 50 vol-% gives destillate of 79 vol-%. That is hardly worth the trouble: when you use a simple riser on your still you get higher percentages with less effort.

When I start my pot still with 12 vol-% I get a vapour of about 57 vol-%, so highly flammable if not explosive.
That is why I keep it enclosed in pipes and boxes and cool it as soon as possible.

So, for reasons of safety, one should not distill at all.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

According to The Engineering Toolbox:
" The flash point of a chemical is the lowest temperature where enough fluid can evaporate to form a combustible concentration of gas."
flash.png
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Kareltje wrote:In a pott stil a load of 40 vol-% gives a destillate of 77 vol-%, a load of 50 vol-% gives destillate of 79 vol-%. That is hardly worth the trouble
The cleaning from 40 to 77% is higher than from 50 to 79%. That's why diluting is better for neutrals. Not the reached % is important, but the difference from before distilling.
That's means also: When you have low wines with 50%, undiluted refluxed to 95% will taste less neutral than an only 93% refluxed from the same low wines diluted to 30%.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Maritimer wrote:
Hi SP,

Note that alcohol is flammable above 40% at room temperature. Even wine is flammable when it's boiling.

M

good to see you back posting lad :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I cut my low wines down before rerunning to lower the output ABV on my whisky. On my pot still with thumper a second spirit run using 40% low wines has the hearts coming out at approximately 83% which require a lot of diluting to lower to aging strength 60% . If I charge with 20% low wines my hearts come out at approximately 69% so I have to dilute less to get to my 60% oaking and aging strength which equals more flavor in the final spirit.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Like Corene's, my whisky enters the still at 20-25%, and the final collected spirit is about 68-71%, proofed down to 61% before aging.

The reason you should do this is simple: At too high of an alcohol content in a pot still environment, alcohol increases the volatility of heavier substances, which causes smearing in the still. At too low, the energy needed to boil the alcohol effectively also causes smearing of the fractions. There is a sweet spot which I suspect would change based on still type and stylistic preferences in whisky making, but in almost all cases in Scotland it goes in at between 19-30%.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

These are more valid arguments then those on safety. Thanks for reminding me.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

MDH wrote:.... but in almost all cases in Scotland it goes in at between 19-30%.
But do any of them dilute with water to get that? My understanding is that they run the low wines down to their desired abv, as many here do.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Here's a profile on Ardbeg, scroll down to the "Specifications" section:

http://www.wormtub.com/distilleries/dis ... ery=Ardbeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Awesome link. Thanks MDH :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Again, thank you MDH for this fantastic link. :clap:
You should open a thread "best of MDHs links".