Glass Marbles for Reflux Column Structured Packing

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Glass Marbles for Reflux Column Structured Packing

Postby Spriit Tisler » Sat May 27, 2017 4:36 am

Stripped low wines diluted to approx 20-30%. Packing height 900mm, diameter 50mm. Was going to increase packing height to 1.4m soon as I get the column welded.
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Postby Klein » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:27 pm

I have now build a 4" x 61" (room for 60" of packing) column :D
it holds 40 pounds (18.18kg) of 14mm marbles and has a total weight of 55 pounds (25kg).
i made a copper plate for a piece of type L pipe that sits on top of the ferrule, trimmed two sides so it can be removed if i ever want to take it out. I got the idea from Bobbywolf :wave:
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Klein » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 am

Well I’m getting prepared to do an experiment with marbles.
I will be testing the effects of: different size marbles, at different to power inputs, to column sizes.
I currently have 14mm marbles from hobby lobby and am looking for places online to buy other sizes (online would be the best as long as they ship to the United States or Canada)
I can’t seem to find anything other than ~14mm at any store I have gone to.
Any links to online stores would be great
thanks
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Klein » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:32 pm

well i have not even had a chance to think about doing test with marbles. i am now home for a day after being gone for 8 days and have a shit ton of birdwatchers to run (150l of wash to strip ~3 stripping runs as well as 70l of low wines). started well, cold column at the start ups the abv to 90% and then quickly drops to normal.

started my spirit run ~52l 40%abv i have my 2" ccvm head on my 4" column, turns out it cant put in into full reflux at full power :thumbdown:
after a few failed attempts on fixing it i took a copper disk with random holes in it,that was in my scrap box and used it to block part of my take off in the tee.
i then used my notes from when i ran the 2" to scale my take off rate to the higher power input. this should give me a fairly similar reflux ratio.
my 2" would give me 96.5abv my 4" with the same marbles and 12" longer column gave me 94-95%abv :think:

i think this is because the reaction between the vapour and reflux is not as violent do to the fact i have not scaled my power input to my increased column size.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 pm

I've always used marbles for packing. Perfectly happy with them.

I have one 6 gallon still which I packed with copper mesh. It actually puts out too high a proof for my taste, since I like to make whiskies.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Research and Theory