Threading NPS to NPT Threads

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Threading NPS to NPT Threads

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

So I've googled and googled and the general consensus view is that your should not use taper threaded fittings on straight threaded fittings however: this is all for use in industrial and/or pressure type situations. So my question is does anyone have real world experience in using copper taper threaded fittings with NPS straight threaded fittings. Specifically I want to screw a 3" copper female threaded fitting onto a 3" NPS stainless fitting for a boiler to still head connection. So what do ya think? I know it won't fit properly or seal perfectly, but can I teflon tape the chit out of it or some flour paste around the connection and make it work for our low/no pressure applications? This is a very pricey fitting so I want some reassurance or discouragement that it's gonna be doable or not before I order. Thanks in advance!
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Re: Threading NPS to NPT Threads

Post by kenfyoozed »

A npt male should thread into a nps female. The last few threads on a npt should be the same size as nps. I just rethreaded a npt to nps. A few wraps of Teflon on the npt should help seal. I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold a column. Let us know how it works out.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thaks Ken. I'm pretty sure it will work, just that 80 dollar fitting starin at me makes me nervous. I'd hate to fug up the threads and be stuck with it. I guess if noone chimes in that has done it I'll just bite the bullet and try it....
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

You could buy cheaper fittings, say in the 1" range and try it out first. If it works there is should work when scaled up.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good idea :idea:
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by condensificator »

i did my off the rack heater element into a 1" NPT 1/2 coupler. didn't even know that the element was NPS until a lot more threads about it popped up. threaded in no problem at all. has sealed up tight as a drum and been proven though a couple hundred gallons of wash and spirit runs. this of course was stainless to stainless, but i'd think that it might even be a better seat with the copper/stainless.

here's a link to one of the threads: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=17828
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

condensificator wrote:i did my off the rack heater element into a 1" NPT 1/2 coupler. didn't even know that the element was NPS until a lot more threads about it popped up. threaded in no problem at all. has sealed up tight as a drum and been proven though a couple hundred gallons of wash and spirit runs. this of course was stainless to stainless, but i'd think that it might even be a better seat with the copper/stainless.

here's a link to one of the threads: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=17828
I hate you guys that this worked for. :ebiggrin: I had to buy a 40$ tap to make mine work, but mine were triclamps adapters, those 1/2 couplings must be made loose. But loose can be a good thing sometimes. :mrgreen:
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sweet thanks Condensificator. Thats what I needed- a shot of confidence. 8) I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it works.
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by condensificator »

kenfyoozed wrote:
I hate you guys that this worked for. :ebiggrin: I had to buy a 40$ tap to make mine work, but mine were triclamps adapters, those 1/2 couplings must be made loose. But loose can be a good thing sometimes. :mrgreen:
you could take a blank tri-clamp end cap ($4), drill a 1" hole in it, then weld one of the 1/2 couplers i got ($6) onto it. prolly cheaper than the tap or die route.

don't know...i would have never guessed that this would be an issue with hoe easy mine went together???
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Update: It worked fine. 3" Female NPS threaded to 3" Male NPT. Several wraps of PTFE tape and threaded on hard hand tight. Haven't done a test run yet but it feels sealed to me. :D
Rich77
Novice

Post by Rich77 »

Hey,

I also googled forever on this topic.
This thread was the only thread with a good discussion on this issue.

I am looking to connect a 1/2” male npt fitting to a 1/2” female nps coupling that is part of my new utility sink faucet.

You would think there would an adapter for such a task.

I have read all of the discussion and wanted to ask:
Are you connections holding up?
How many winds of tape should I use?
How many turns to tighten.

If anyone has any other solutions or hacks, I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Rich