ISU professor develops 'world's purest' vodka

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: ISU professor develops 'world's purest' vodka

Post by skow69 »

700G wrote:That's exactly what I'm going to do. I will send in a sample of store bought vodka for comparison.
That store bought vodka sets a pretty low bar. You are going to compare your standard neutral to the O3/Co2 product also, right?

EDIT spelling
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

This is interesting, my main reef tank (lagoon) runs UV, co2 and carbon.all of which help remove impurities and/or change chemistry.

Funny how several hobbies use these in different methods to achieve various end goals!

Thank you for sharing :)
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Nice avatar.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

700G wrote:Maybe I'll eventually try that too if it works out on the first round.
I would have thought that that would be the first test, to see if it can produce a clean neutral in a single run.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

FWIW I am mainly interested to see if it can improve on what we think is already super clean.

Just goes to show that more data is always better so you can parse it more ways to satisfy more inquiries.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

skow69 wrote:FWIW I am mainly interested to see if it can improve on what we think is already super clean.
True but, even if you can't get a cleaner product, you might be able to get the same with less effort.

What I mean is that, even if the first round isn't successful, the follow up on low wines should still be done.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Agreed. 'Course, I'm not paying the bill. :)

Thanks for your efforts, 700G.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

skow69 wrote:Agreed. 'Course, I'm not paying the bill. :)
I would just hate for the tests to be set aside because the super clean neutral couldn't be cleaned anymore.

ETA: No need for lab tests for that.
Thanks for your efforts, 700G.
+1
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

skow69 wrote:Nice avatar.

Haha! I know a guy who knows a guy who is neighbors with a dude who's uncles friends brother knows how to set you up with one.... Lemme' know iffin' yer interested!!! ; )
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

Bagasso wrote:
700G wrote:Maybe I'll eventually try that too if it works out on the first round.
I would have thought that that would be the first test, to see if it can produce a clean neutral in a single run.
I actually tested this today. I ran ozone and Co2 through a 750ml sample of low wines for 1 minute each which is well above the amount of time indicated in the paper. I'm really surprised at how much it cleaned up! It didn't clean it up completely of course, I could still smell a bit of the deep tails, but way cleaner smelling for sure. After running the sample through carbon it was even cleaner as expected. The samples I will send in will be: low wines, low wines treated with 03 co2 and carbon, and my finished vodka (just to satisfy my own curiosity).
stillin' when I shoulda been buyin'
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

700G wrote:I actually tested this today. I ran ozone and Co2 through a 750ml sample of low wines for 1 minute each which is well above the amount of time indicated in the paper.
Sounds promising.

Only thing I would point out is that the paper said that Co2 stripping was done for 270 minutes. Doing the math it comes out to .55lbs of Co2. Don't know if you bubbled that amount in 1 minute and who knows how the flowrate affects the final product.
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

Finally had time to get stuff tested.

Here's what I got:

Low wines untreated:
low-wines-untreated.jpg
Low wines treated:
low-wines-treated.jpg
Twice distilled (not treated):
twice-distilled.jpg
Treatment definitely had an effect. The methanol seems high though especially from a sugar wash. I'm not really sure what the acceptable thresholds for each component are. I'll have to dig around.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

700G wrote:The methanol seems high though especially from a sugar wash. I'm not really sure what the acceptable thresholds for each component are. I'll have to dig around.
The legal limit that I have seen quoted for the US is 280mg/100ml or 2,800/1L of 40%ABV so, 550-600 mg/l (almost the same as ppm) is well below that but much higher than photonics results.
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

Thanks Bagasso.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Thanks for posting those results 700G, makes an interesting read. Just to quantify those results fully is that last chart after cuts, just hearts or a combined run and did you treat and samples of the double distilled spirit?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

thecroweater wrote:Thanks for posting those results 700G, makes an interesting read. Just to quantify those results fully is that last chart after cuts, just hearts or a combined run and did you treat and samples of the double distilled spirit?
Welcome, the last chart is after cuts. It was 2 spirit runs combined and ran again with cuts made.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

700G wrote:
thecroweater wrote:Thanks for posting those results 700G, makes an interesting read. Just to quantify those results fully is that last chart after cuts, just hearts or a combined run and did you treat and samples of the double distilled spirit?
Welcome, the last chart is after cuts. It was 2 spirit runs combined and ran again with cuts made.

Dude, this is cool! Thanks a bunch for linking it.