Bushman's Element Adapter/Screen Project

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bushman's Element Adapter/Screen Project

Post by bearriver »

That is gorgeous!!! My hat is off to you LWTCS, once again.

:clap:
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

That would be interesting to try. I have been avoiding stilling on the grain because of the scorching problems of direct contact with the heating element. I do however have a full bottom mesh screen with holes about the same size as the one in your pic, (I measured them to be 3/32", or 2.38mm, diameter,) that covers the whole bottom of my Brew Built 22 Gallon mash pot which keeps the grain above the bottom drain spigot J shaped pickup tube through the screen. Other than being flat, the material and hole size appear to the about the same to the eye, but that could be deceiving.

My 25 gallon milk can boiler uses the standard 1" NPT orifice, and I have a 5,500 Watt stainless steel fold back element in it running on a 240 Volt 30 Amp controller with a 2" tri-clamp attachment. If you have a spare, I'd be interested in giving it a test to see how it does the job of preventing the mash from getting to the element and sticking and burning on an all grain run.

Screen in my mash boiler:
mash boiler screen 002.JPG
mash boiler screen 003.JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Looking forward to the gear to give it a full range of tests. Glad you have started this lwtcs
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks good LWTC, my initial thought is the screen would be a bit smaller also.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote:Looks good LWTC, my initial thought is the screen would be a bit smaller also.
I'll see if I can get the perfs on the sleeve even smaller.
I thought I adequately communicated how small it needed to be?
Can often be frustrating communicating with a language that is so very different.
But we'll get it right.

I'll bring your sample to ADI Bushy and give it to you in person.
Will the others please pm me your shipping address please.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Oh my is that thing purdy! Smaller screen would be better but I'm sure it will still work nicely. You could always put a finer screen over the top. Nice work indeed.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Snackson wrote:Oh my is that thing purdy! Smaller screen would be better but I'm sure it will still work nicely. You could always put a finer screen over the top. Nice work indeed.
That was my original plans, to add a screen with this design that I worked up but needs a few modifications.
image.jpeg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

As another member posted, probably the success depends on the mesh size. And probably for each mash another size is optimal.
I have done so many trials with screens/cotton cloth/cotton bags/boiling chips to seperate the solids from the bottom of my pot (I heat with a hotplate). With fruit I had some success, but with grain absolutely not. After many scorched mashes, simply stirring while fast heating up and then slow distilling without a screen or similar gave by far the best results.

So I am sceptical about this project. But I will be happy, if I'm wrong.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

der wo wrote:As another member posted, probably the success depends on the mesh size. And probably for each mash another size is optimal.
I have done so many trials with screens/cotton cloth/cotton bags/boiling chips to seperate the solids from the bottom of my pot (I heat with a hotplate). With fruit I had some success, but with grain absolutely not. After many scorched mashes, simply stirring while fast heating up and then slow distilling without a screen or similar gave by far the best results.

So I am sceptical about this project. But I will be happy, if I'm wrong.
When I first got into this hobby it was exploding with new designs and ideas and great advances were made in our hobby. I feel the last several years things have slowed down. Why fix it if it ain't broke! I like this idea, and I think if others start experimenting with the concept it has merit. I applaud LWTCS for taking my idea and running with it and I hope it works and becomes a successful business item for him and others that produce and sell stills. It would make me proud that I felt I had a small hand in the process.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Bushman wrote:I like this idea, and I think if others start experimenting with the concept it has merit. I applaud LWTCS for taking my idea and running with it and I hope it works and becomes a successful business item for him and others that produce and sell stills. It would make me proud that I felt I had a small hand in the process.
:thumbup:
For me I see a bigger chance of success with a simple agitator build. Of course a screen would be more simple, so if it would function, it would be fantastic. I am experimenting currently. But that's off topic here.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Though in this instance the holes are likely too big, I could see at least how folks dropping a muslin sack into their kettles for gin production would have a measure of security.

Either way, I'll get the holes smaller on the filter sleeve and get those out to the participants when they are done.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Juniper berries float thus Heritage Distillery does a spirit run and throws them into the boiler when making gin as they never hit the elements. Just sayin!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Got a chance to take apart Larry's design and have to admit it is a big improvement over my original design. He solved the problem I was facing about removing the element to attach it without removing the wiring each time. For larger commercial boilers this is not a problem but for keg builds where the element covers more than 1/2 the diameter of the boiler you can not get the screen cover over the element. This method allows for easy disassembling for cleaning purposes.

One problem with the design (not for me) is that in order to take it apart you have to reach into the keg thus you would need at least a 4" access hole. I have a 4" column so not a problem. If the screen hole size works this is going to be great. I would give it an A rating for workmanship and design.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I got my hands on one and would have to agree with Bushman's assement of the quality. I am going to take LWTCS's advice and use a muslin sack for the test run, hopefully this week.

A+ workmanship. Im stoked! Gonna replace all my SD element guard kits with these after the tests are done and they hit shelves.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I'm sure you can role up some SS screen and hose clamp it to the filter sleeve?

I will have the sleeves re made and send out.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Well, time for a small update. I just finished fixing the leaks from the furrel install. 3.5 hours later. I remember why I hate soldering ss to ss so much with just regular solder and butane. But I'm proof it is possible.

I will be doing the cleaning runs today and if all goes well I have about 12 gallons of whiskey to run tonight on the grain and will give more feedback. I apologize for the slow updates on this project. Shortly after receiving this from larry I was sent out of town for work so being back home for a day and a half at a time meant I haven't done anything hobby related in quite a while.

I will update with pics later. I've got to get it plugged in to run the vinigar run now while I clean the house. The joys of a single dad are never done.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Just an update:

The smaller filter screen hole pattern has arrived.
I've been out of town and need to get caught up.

Please pm me so I can get the new filter screen version sent out.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Here is the pic.
1mm holes.
Attachments
New Filter Screen.jpg
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Nice! Here's a question that's been on my mind larry. One that we will find out soon enough but just curious yours and others thoughts on this. If the element is submerged in the grain bed, even with the screen, is it possible that you could have a flash boil surrounding the element? Grain and other solids cover holes, wash surrounding the element will boil and vaporize if it can't escape fast enough, causing the element to run dry.

I don't know if this is possible to even happen. Just a scenario that's run through my head a few times.

I will be testing it with the original guard this weekend. She's all leak free and cleaning runs done. I'm back in business ( on the weekends lol) going to be a long Saturday night
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Took longer than expected yet again to get her tested.

This test was with 3 grain whiskey corn barley and wheat. Fine Crack to flour. Grain bed still was below the element guard.

No issues during run. No scorch. Once run was dome and keg emptied I took the element out which is much easier with the triclamp system. There were some grains that had made it through the sive holes. But not enough to burn on to the element. I do not think the original hole size will work well if the entire element and guard is covered with fine Crack to flour. Simple solution. Cotton fabric or 100% white clean cotton sock, to act as a "condom ".

This right here will be revolutionary. No more squeezing grains. Simply fill keg and go.

I was running full blast at 4500w on 220v.

A big thank you larry for bringing this to fruition.
Fantastic piece of hardware. Anyone who wants to do / does all grain should consider this as an essential piece of hardware.

Yak
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I'm gonna wait for a few more months of you doing this before pursuing it :]

The grain bed is below the element? How high up did you mount it?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

With this specific mash it was. But it's about 8 to 10 inches off the bottom of the kettle. The true test will be my next whiskey. But that wont be for atleast another month
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Well here's an update. Had the day off today and had a mash ready to go.

Replaced my element as it was toast from my last cook. Wrapped guard with clean cotton fabric and inserted into keg. Filled keg. Power on ( 4500w 240) at 20%. Slow heat up. After 20 min up to 30 %. Within minutes it started to scorch. Power down. Seal top and emote element ( no mess lol). Small amount of scorch but cought it early.

Not sure why it was scorching but theory at this point was that I was boiling off liquid in the element guard faster than it could be replenished through the fabric. But there shouldn't have been any solids to hit the element to scorch....

Change out fabric for coffee filters wrapped around the guard and tied in place with Teflon tape. Clean off element of all scorch and insert back into keg.

Same procedure with same results.

Removed element again. Wrapped elemt guard with ss mesh with holes about the size of window screen holes. Theory at this point was this will allow more free flow of fluid. Set up again and start heating at 20 percent. No scorch. Up it to 30%. 20 minutes no scorch.
Keg is close to temp so up the power to 40% and attach condensor head.

Mash come to temp and starts to produce. No scorch. Small trickle. Up. Power to 50%. Dam it. Smoke coming out of condensor. Coolant is running. Its not alcohol vapot. Thought for a moment that it may have been the elusive condensor fog that happens from time to time.

Smoke increases. Disilate is yellow. It's official. It scorched.

This was my corn and malt barly that I just cooked up. Fine crack but not overly thick.

Out of curiosity I check the mash and got a gravity that said it still had about a percent and a half available in sugars. Not sure if this risidual sugar is what was burning onto the element.

I thought the mash was done as it had settled and started to clear 2 days ago.

Thoughts? Looks like it may be back to squeezing for me. Or switch over completely to steam.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Grain particles are very fine. You would need a finer mesh, but this would hinder the heat distribution. There is no solution for ths problem. You will always have small particles coming through the mesh. And the finer the mesh is, on the one hand less particles come through, yes, but on the other hand if they came through they will never go back, so they will accumulate regardless of wether the mesh is fine or coarse. IMO.