Flavoring

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OlBarn65
Novice

Flavoring

Post by OlBarn65 »

Hey yall. I hope this is the right section for this. For the past 6 years or so Ive been using the backins in my thump keg, but Ive been adding different things to it also. Honey, apple juice, I even put some brown sugar down in there. Ive found that it adds a noticeble hint of flavor to the finished product. Its not overwhelimg at all, but when you taste it, its very very noticeable. I dont know how many of you have ever tried it, but if you havent, do it. Its definitely worth it. It also doesnt lower the proof of your product like it would if you were to add anything to it after distillin it. Let me know if you try it!
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Re: Flavoring

Post by BlackStrap »

OlBarn65 wrote:Hey yall. I hope this is the right section for this. For the past 6 years or so Ive been using the backins in my thump keg, but Ive been adding different things to it also. Honey, apple juice, I even put some brown sugar down in there. Ive found that it adds a noticeable hint of flavor to the finished product. Its not overwhelimg at all, but when you taste it, its very very noticeable. I dont know how many of you have ever tried it, but if you havent, do it. Its definitely worth it. It also doesnt lower the proof of your product like it would if you were to add anything to it after distillin it. Let me know if you try it!
Hey OlBarn65 I've given this a go and completely enjoy the carry over of flavor... I've been precharging my thumper, I've used Vanilla, and Almond extract, cinnamon (a little goes along way on that) may favorite is canned peaches or pears. Just a hint of flavor with the finished spirit. I'm always looking for some experimental flavors... I'm thinking some cinnamon, apple sauce, nut meg and a couple cloves...The only thing you have to watch for is a "puke" over from the Thumper....This could lead to a plug line further down the vapor path. (Just a word of caution)
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Search "clear apple pie" and "shooting the thumper"
But basically, start your run and once you get past the heads kill the heat and open the thumper and add preheated whatever for flavor and close up the thump and resume the run. The idea is to get the flavor in the hearts as some carry over in the heads ,some in the hearts and some in tails. My thumper and a lot of others have a fill hole just for this.
We call it shooting the thumper.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

jb-texshine wrote: My thumper and a lot of others have a fill hole just for this.
We call it shooting the thumper.
Jbt
Do you have any pictures? This could be an elaboration I would enjoy working with.
If you wouldn't mind me using some of your ideas?
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Dont have a pic handy rt now but its a 2" triclamp ferrule welded on the keg off center, with a end cap and gasket.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!