Standardized Hearts Yield

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Standardized Hearts Yield

Post by nerdybrewer »

Badmotivator wrote:My simple (no dunder) panela rum: 20 lbs panela, 10 gals water, bakers yeast. Distilled once with four plates. Hearts were 91% ABV, 0.77 gallons.

SHY= 11.4

This is very close to Oldvine Zin's panela SHY of 10. Nice.
Also very close to mine.
Within statistical variance for sure.

It's going to be interesting to see if there's a difference when adding Dunder.
For instance, I added 6 gallons of Panela rum dunder aged 6 months to my current Panela wash that has a total volume of 60 gallons.
Once it's been stilled we can run numbers.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Badmotivator wrote:
jb-texshine wrote: Modified ujssm:
20#cracked corn
20# rolled oats
5 gallons rum backset(unaged dunder)
60# sugar

25.86 pints
So it looks like 1X distilling with feints recycling gave you a SHY of about 18.6
Restarted it for gen 2,if you want the data for it ill run it all as 1.5 spirit runs.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

jb-texshine wrote: Restarted it for gen 2,if you want the data for it ill run it all as 1.5 spirit runs.
I think it would be interesting, but of course don't go out of your way. Thanks!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Badmotivator wrote:
jb-texshine wrote: Restarted it for gen 2,if you want the data for it ill run it all as 1.5 spirit runs.
I think it would be interesting, but of course don't go out of your way. Thanks!
No problem at all,especially since I located my notebook. The fruity/floral esters are off the charts from using rum backset so I want some a lot closer to barrel proof anyway.
Jb

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

jb-texshine wrote:
Badmotivator wrote:
No problem at all,especially since I located my notebook. The fruity/floral esters are off the charts from using rum backset so I want some a lot closer to barrel proof anyway.
Jb
Gen 2:
25 pints hearts at 40%. Via 1.5x . 2 strips and a spirit with remaining 5 gallons wash.

Deo Vendice

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

15 litres applejuice
0,5 litre pearjuiceconcentrate (made of 2,5 ltr pearjuice)

I freezeconcentrated the applejuice, added the pearjuiceconcentrate and added yeast.
After fermenting, I distilled the wine and got about 4,5 litres of 20 %ABV low wines.
I added some 3 kg of apples in the boiler and 1 kg apples in the gin-box and made a spirit run.
These apples were supposed to add to the taste, not to the alcohol.

The final result is 1,4 litres of 40 % pompom. Heads and tails are transported to other collecting jars and removed.

Calculating the SHY: 17,5 ltrs juice becomes 1,4 ltrs drink makes a mSHY of 12,5. So 12,5 litrs apple- and pearjuice makes 1 litre of 40 %ABV-drink.
As 2 kg fruit gives 1 litre juice the mSHY of fruit to drink is 25 kg/l
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I did 3 20kg worth sugarhead seat feed whiskey washes (55lbs of sf for flavour). Got 7 gallons at 62.5-65%

I also recyled from 2 the batches and got 2g of 45% neutral I made into gin.
I have about 17l of feints left to run from those batches. and 2l of booners fients.

Not sure about the what that will get me in terms of a shy. I know I kept on the low sid of things 35-45% depending on the run to keep this a lighter faux whiskey. Might even mix a little neutral in it to make it like a Canadian whiskey.

B
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

My latest Panela run is done and in the barrel.
100# Panela produced 6.5 gallons @ 65% or 10 gallons @ 40%
SHY = 10 (again)
I like consistency!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I have been enjoying watching the numbers roll by, folks. Thanks. I finally got around to recording them in a spreadsheet. I think I will figure out a good way to publish them in this thread and then periodically publish the whole set. This way one will usually be able to skip to the last page of this thread to find the data.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

20lbs panela in 10 gal water.
Fermented down to 2% potential alcohol, dump in 2 gallons of live dunder (Clostridium, Propionibacteriam, Lactobacillus, Acidophilus)
When fermentation is complete, refluxed on four plates for 1-2 hours.
After fores and a little heads, used very low reflux ratio
Out of 24 jars, kept all but jar 1, 5, 19-22. Jars 23 and 24 might turn out to be a mistake, but they added interesting body and fullness. Took a chance.

SHY=9.66
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

SHY reports Jan 2017.jpg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Nice!

I don't remember if I told it, but the plum had also 3 kg sugar on 18 kg plum and the first apple had also 1 kg sugar on 35 kg fruit.
With the apple the amount of sugar was designed to give half of the alcohol in the drink, which more or less succeeded, judging by the SHY's.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Kareltje wrote:Nice!

I don't remember if I told it, but the plum had also 3 kg sugar on 18 kg plum and the first apple had also 1 kg sugar on 35 kg fruit.
With the apple the amount of sugar was designed to give half of the alcohol in the drink, which more or less succeeded, judging by the SHY's.
I think in your reports you subtracted out the sugar component. I didn't check your math though. We'll have to wait for "pure" run data to firm up your numbers.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I did a series of ferments of wheat. Sprouted 500 gr of wheat and brewed that with 500 gr of meal, then added suger and fermented. Sprouted again 500 gr of wheat, brewed with meal etc.
Stripped the ferments in parts and stripped the lower half of the result again.
Collected this result and made a spirit run.
All in all:
2 kg wheat
2 kg wheatmeal
4,5 kg sugar
Fermented and distilled led to:
283 ml à 89,8 % heads
2.955 ml à 81,8 % makes 3 ltr of 80 %ABV
1.012 ml à 21,5 % tails

How do we calculate the Standardized Hearts Yield of what? Wheat to drink? Sugar to alcohol?
Of course I keep the heads and tails, but they go into another run.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Damn, i missed this six months ago. I like the number though, sounds like something i want to know.

been adding feints back in like Deep, so i have to collect some clean data for you.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Kareltje wrote:I did a series of ferments of wheat. Sprouted 500 gr of wheat and brewed that with 500 gr of meal, then added suger and fermented. Sprouted again 500 gr of wheat, brewed with meal etc.
Stripped the ferments in parts and stripped the lower half of the result again.
Collected this result and made a spirit run.
All in all:
2 kg wheat
2 kg wheatmeal
4,5 kg sugar
Fermented and distilled led to:
283 ml à 89,8 % heads
2.955 ml à 81,8 % makes 3 ltr of 80 %ABV
1.012 ml à 21,5 % tails

How do we calculate the Standardized Hearts Yield of what? Wheat to drink? Sugar to alcohol?
Of course I keep the heads and tails, but they go into another run.
Cool. Thanks for the notes.

Maybe the SHY Log Book should record that your roughly 50:50 converted wheat and sugar mash produces a metric SHY of 2.83 on the first pass. (Standard SHY of 23.5) After feints recycling on another identical run you could have a second entry in the Log Book with the long-run mSHY of your 50:50 recipe.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not see how you get 2.83 for mSHY.

I made 6 litres of 40 %ABV drink and used 4 kg wheat (milled or whole) plus 4,5 kg sugar.
Wheat is about 70 % carbohydrates, so 4 kg brewed is equivalent with about 2,8 kg converted starch.
Now one can calculate different mSHY's:
1) (4 kg wheat+4,5 kg sugar) / 6 litres 40 % = 1,42 mSHY
2) (4 * 0,7 starch + 4,5 kg sugar) / 6 litres = 7,3 / 6 = 1,22 mSHY
3) 4,5 kg sugar / 6 litres = 0,75 mSHY
4) 4 kg wheat / 6 litres = 0,67 mSHY

Ah, now I see: you calculated according to 1) but accidently took 3 litres of 80 proof in stead of 3 litres of 80 %ABV.

There is a 5th way: first substract the amount of liqqer coming from the sugar, based on formerly found SHY's from sugar and then calculate the SHY for wheat by dividing the amount of wheat by the amount of liqqer left.
But that al makes it more complicated, while your proposition was to make things easier.

I will try to make series for several grains in the same manner. Mainly to compare taste, but we can compare SHY's too.
Feints I will collect, but as a collective, so they can not be accounted to any SHY.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Thanks for checking my math, Kareltje. You're right, I missed that you were talking about 80% ABV, not proof.

I should have said "A roughly 50:50 mix of converted wheat and sugar produces an mSHY of 1.41 without feints recycling."
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

DeepSouth wrote:I average about 65% yield of hearts in my bourbon. That's 65% of all the potential alcohol created in the ferment. For example, if I made a 100 gallon batch and fermented to 8% ABV, using 2 lbs per gallon of grain, my fermenter would have 8 gallons of 200 proof alcohol in it. 65% of this is 5.2 gallons of pure alcohol. If all of my heart's were collected and diluted to barrel strength of 125 proof, I'd have about 8.3 gallons to put into a barrel. In reality, I recycle some heads and tails into spirit runs, so my yield is a little higher than that. It works out to roughly a rule if thumb to 1/10 of the mash volume will be my heart cut at 125 proof to go in a barrel. So 100 gallons of mash ends up making 10 gallons of 125 proof whiskey to go in a barrel, if I'm recycling heads and tails and redistilling them.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Just stumbled across this post and found it interesting, I've noticed the same with my runs as well.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Zombie thread resurrection!

MALT WHISKEY SHY=13.25 or mSHY=1.6
To fill one 1.7gal badmotivator barrel: 35lbs malt

Boring protocol details: mash 2lbs/gallon BIAB, some sparging. Fermented with DADY off grain. Pot still strip through a little copper mesh. Spirit run through two copper plates.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Badmotivator wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:39 pm Zombie thread resurrection!

MALT WHISKEY SHY=13.25 or mSHY=1.6
To fill one 1.7gal badmotivator barrel: 35lbs malt

Boring protocol details: mash 2lbs/gallon BIAB, some sparging. Fermented with DADY off grain. Pot still strip through a little copper mesh. Spirit run through two copper plates.
Holy crap. I was just reading this thread earlier today and here you are bringing it back from the dead. :lol:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:07 pm Holy crap. I was just reading this thread earlier today and here you are bringing it back from the dead. :lol:
Spoooooky. :)

I figure there’s probably like a whole generation of new distillers who never saw this thread. And a whole new crop of people who need to ignore it anew. :)