Multiple Simultaneous Fermentations, Recipes & Efficiency

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Multiple Simultaneous Fermentations, Recipes & Efficiency

Post by bhh »

I'm still pretty new to this but I've been running 6 gallon batches of UJSSM and a 100% AG rye simultaneously for a little while now and it has become very clear to me I need a better system. For example, the amount of spent grains in the AG recipe is a little overwhelming at roughly 10lbs (dry weight) per week and I feel like I should really consider running a variation of the UJSSM that uses the spent rye instead of corn. That is just one example but I wanted to try and start a "conversation" about how people choose to run what they run, in what quantities, etc.

Do you guys like running multiple recipes at the same time that allows one to recycle ingredients, backset, yeast, etc. Or, do you prefer running only one recipe in all your fermenters, one big fermenter, etc. with the goal to quickly pull enough final product for a while and put everything away for a few months or move on to a different receipe? Hopefully I'm being clear. I'm not really asking a specific question but more trying to understand how people organize their workflow and why. I really enjoy it and I don't want it to feel like "work" but I think my current (lack of) a good system is going to start feeling like it if I can't figure out a better way.

I'm currently on a weekly cycle because I can only do this on the weekends. My current workflow needs about 5-6 weeks worth of stripping runs to get to spirit run which can get a little tiresome with no breaks. I feel like I can easily do 2x 6 gallon strips in one day so I'm considering doubling or even quadrupling my fermentation size so I can knock out enough stripping runs for a spirit run in 1-2 weeks. When I get around to building my own still, I'm definitely going to size up to 15 gallons boiler with a 5500 W element so I'll be able to run 20 gallons or so of strips per day or 40-50 gallons worth over a weekend so I could theoretically pull enough low wines for a spirit run in 1 weekend and do a full "batch" for a specific recipe in 2 weeks vs 6-8. My current "system", or lack of one really, has far too much time assembling, disassembling, cleaning, cooking, lugging water, mopping up messes, etc. vs the amount of product I'm pulling and I'm not even sure it will stay ahead of our consumption habits plus aging. Maybe my wife and I just drink too much? :lolno:
rad14701
retired

Re: Multiple Simultaneous Fermentations, Recipes & Efficienc

Post by rad14701 »

There will always be some waste to get rid of, whether doing all grain mashes or sugarheads... Several members reuse their grains from all grain mashes to make a sugarhead... Or, as with UJSSM, they do multi-generation runs which result in less residual waste per batch... There are plenty of ways to setup protocols depending on individual needs...

All that being said, it sounds like you need to ramp things up sooner rather than later... You're doing a lot of extra and repetitive work by doing small ferments and distillation runs and that is what is making what should be fun seem monotonous...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

From day one, I have been fermenting three or four charges worth in a single fermenter, so that each ferment provides enough low wines for a spirit run. One hard out weekend distilling gets a lot of likker aging in the cellar. A charantaise style preheater speeds up stripping by eliminating heat up time between strips.
bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bhh »

rad14701 wrote:All that being said, it sounds like you need to ramp things up sooner rather than later... You're doing a lot of extra and repetitive work by doing small ferments and distillation runs and that is what is making what should be fun seem monotonous...
I think you are right. I'm using a 30L alembic borrowed from my dad to get my feet under me and I'm really glad I had a chance to run it for a while before buying/building my own equipment. At the time, 30L seemed huge but I'm starting to second guess if 15 gallons is big enough. Definitely going to go ahead and size up at least one fermenter now to process enough low wines for a spirit run in a single ferment.
bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bhh »

NZChris wrote:From day one, I have been fermenting three or four charges worth in a single fermenter, so that each ferment provides enough low wines for a spirit run. One hard out weekend distilling gets a lot of likker aging in the cellar. A charantaise style preheater speeds up stripping by eliminating heat up time between strips.
I've got to start doing this I think. The preheater is a cool idea. Even routing spent cooling water through a wort chiller dropped into the next boiler charge would warm it up considerably I bet and would even help re-chill the cooling water through the first half of the run. I just had a 240V outlet installed in my brew room so I'm going to be able to speed everything up a lot with a 5500W internal heater on the next still rather than this damn hot plate as well.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My still is 33l and that makes a lot of likker if I don't mess about doing single run ferments. The only singles I do are for if I need to make some dunder or backset for the larger fermenters.

Put an element low in the alembic, add an SCR controller, and it will be a great still. If you are going to build something, build a 30l preheater and stand to go with it.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Going from multiple 5 gallon buckets to a 32 gallon brute has made things much easier. I'd hate it if I ever had to go back to just using the buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bhh »

Thanks again NZChris. I researched the "charantaise style preheater" a bit more since your first post. Does the preheat vessel actually function as a sort of flake stand where you route vapor through it to condense? I'm sure that would heat it up a lot more than routing cooling water through it but it seems a lot more complicated than just plumbing a diverter valve into your cooling loop on a liebig condensor or something to route water through a coil submerged into the preheat vessel. I know my flake stand water will start to steam if I don't keep enough cooling water flowing through it so I'd actually be a bit worried about it heating enough to start emitting alcohol vapor if you weren't careful?

I like the alembic a lot and I doubt my dad will ever use it again but it has some sentimental value and I am reluctant to drill it out for an internal heater. It isn't that old but I'm just not comfortable hacking at this thing right now. My original idea was to build both a pot still and a VM head for a 15 gallon "milk kettle" boiler and use those for quick strips and neutrals and the alembic for smaller and slower spirit runs. Besides sharing boilers, both still heads could use the same liebig, cooling system, etc.
bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bhh »

Klein wrote:Going from multiple 5 gallon buckets to a 32 gallon brute has made things much easier. I'd hate it if I ever had to go back to just using the buckets.
I hear you man, it's about that time I guess. I have to admit I am struggling a bit with the concept of no airlock though. Been eyeing this although obviously a bit more than I'd like to spend... https://www.morebeer.com/products/speid ... 7-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

bhh wrote:
Klein wrote:Going from multiple 5 gallon buckets to a 32 gallon brute has made things much easier. I'd hate it if I ever had to go back to just using the buckets.
I hear you man, it's about that time I guess. I have to admit I am struggling a bit with the concept of no airlock though. Been eyeing this although obviously a bit more than I'd like to spend... https://www.morebeer.com/products/speid ... 7-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ouch!!! I've never had a problem with my brute without an airlock. I would strongly recommend a brute over spending $150 (+tax)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

bhh wrote: I have to admit I am struggling a bit with the concept of no airlock though. Been eyeing this although obviously a bit more than I'd like to spend
Your're not making wine or beer, nor are you drinking the wash.. your're just making liker.. no need for an air lock, just something to cover the fermenter to keep the bugs out..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The preheater is inserted between the lyne arm and the condenser. Mine is a 360 degree worm low in the preheater as in old drawings of them and I believe that trying to improve on that by building with more turns, like a flake stand, is a mistake.

To make the most of a preheater, the preheater and pot should be plumbed for fast and safe draining and refilling. Get it right and the next strip should be pouring in less than five minutes.
The condenser cooling water can be turned off until it is needed.
If doing another generation of UJSSM or rum, the backset and condenser water from the first strip can be used to put the next ferment down. Get your act together and you can have that job finished before the second strip is done.
bhh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bhh »

Way too much time on the internet last night. Thought I'd post this because I found a place with free shipping on their 15-gallon conicals. Time to step this operation up! Most of the other places carrying these charge as much for shipping as for the tanks themselves. 2x 15 gallons food grade conical fermenters delivered to my door for $125. Will take a few mods and some plumbing but nothing too bad.

http://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold- ... 15-19.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow