NEW REFLUX CONDENSER DESIGN

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andygr85
Novice

NEW REFLUX CONDENSER DESIGN

Post by Andygr85 »

I apologize for the ruthless click bait. I am also sorry if someone else has come up with this design. I have trolled these pages endlessly and have not seen it. I am new to the forum and as such I expect disregard and vitriol. Please be kind, for I am merely a babe among wolves. (Or at least a babe among occasionally rude adult men who are probably less kind as the morning grows closer)

Idea is a hollow cold finger filled loosely with copper mesh and surrounded by the same mesh.
1-1/2" outer jacket
3/4" inner jacket
2-1/2" column
Attachments
20170208_221750-448x796.jpg
20170208_222028-448x796.jpg
This is a forum for grown men to jerk off one another. Specifically for the many to jerk off the few.
rad14701
retired

Re: NEW REFLUX CONDENSER DESIGN

Post by rad14701 »

It's called a "concentric"... See the link in my signature for an example... Unless your idea is different for some reason...
Andygr85
Novice

Post by Andygr85 »

My design was
a piece of 3/4 in copper inside
a piece of 1-1/2"
Brazed the gaps shut because it's easier to fill large gaps with brazing rod than it is to do with solder.
I think my design is more of a "hollow cold finger" suspended like a normal reflux coil. An empty tube jacketed with water suspended in a larger column.
If I'm being stupid and can't see that this is the same idea just say the word. You know better than I do on this subject.
This is a forum for grown men to jerk off one another. Specifically for the many to jerk off the few.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

He already did.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Not sure I ever saw brazing rod used to make a column before.

Unique design or not, lets see how it works.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Andygr85
Novice

Post by Andygr85 »

The plans that your signature links to are not what I had in mind @rad14701. My idea was to replace a wrapped double helix coil at the top of a VM or LM COLUMN. Does it have enough surface area? Its 9" long and will be surrounded by copper mesh, open to the atmosphere on top.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Andygr85 wrote:The plans that your signature links to are not what I had in mind @rad14701. My idea was to replace a wrapped double helix coil at the top of a VM or LM COLUMN. Does it have enough surface area? Its 9" long and will be surrounded by copper mesh, open to the atmosphere on top.
So you're thinking a large hollow "cold finger"...??? Pretty much just a concentric suspended in a column then...
Andygr85
Novice

Post by Andygr85 »

a concentric is a whole column setup with its own type of collection. My idea is just a reflux coil. Like I said in the title. To be used atop a VM or LM column Maybe I should draw it out more clearly.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

It looks like your tube would have about 64 sq. in. of cold surface. That should be comparable to a coil of 1/4 inch tubing 7 ft. long. So you're in the ballpark. Now try it and let us know how it works.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Andygr85 wrote:a concentric is a whole column setup with its own type of collection. My idea is just a reflux coil. Like I said in the title. To be used atop a VM or LM column Maybe I should draw it out more clearly.
Ummm... No... I have concentric reflux condensers that can be swapped out with each other or replaced with a column section and a wound copper reflux condenser... Not sure where you got the idea that a concentric is an entire still... I do also have a concentric head that has collection and takeoff combined with it as well, however... That head can function in either pot still or reflux mode...

Had you checked the link in my signature, as was suggested in my previous post, you'd have seen it... HERE is a link to where I first posted straight condenser pics...

Edited to add: I just used my concentric reflux column to produce neutral spirits from some Barley, Oat, Wheat Bran low wines that I stripped earlier today...