Specific Gravity

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FranklinNewhart
Novice

Specific Gravity

Post by FranklinNewhart »

Was just doing a run and had a weird thing happen. I was near the end of my run and the SG was down near 20% and a sudden thing occurred. The SG went down critically from 20% to an inch below the zero mark. The stuff that was coming off was heavier than water. What could possibly be going on. I have never seen this ever happen before. I usually strip right down to zero and that is the way it always goes but not this. What is going on? I was running an apple wash. Was it puking or what? It should not have puked at this point in the run. Puking is something that happens at the beginning.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Specific Gravity

Post by Pikey »

Were you running with solids in the wash ? Or just a little yeast like most of us do ?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

FranklinNewhart wrote: I was near the end of my run and the SG was down near 20%
By saying the SG, would you mean that the ABV was down..
FranklinNewhart wrote:I was running an apple wash.
Puking can occur at the start, and at any time during the run, especially near the end.. if the power input is to high.. fruit wash are known for puking..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
FranklinNewhart
Novice

But why an SG that is greater than zero? The alcohol hygrometer rose in the parrot about an inch above the zero mark.
:thumbdown:
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Pikey wrote:Were you running with solids in the wash ? Or just a little yeast like most of us do ?
no solids
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

FranklinNewhart wrote:But why an SG that is greater than zero? The alcohol hygrometer rose in the parrot about an inch above the zero mark.
Your alcometer read zero, in part because you had very low alcohol content, and puking from the wash.. check your alcometer in a wash and see what reading you get.. the same behavior occurs when the alcohol has other substances in it.. it will read zero.. add a little bit of sugar to some alcohol, and try to take a reading..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein