CCVM over plates

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedwoodHillBilly

CCVM over plates

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Before I get into this, I'm curious if anyone has direct experience, not guesses or opinions.

I was thinking of using a CCVM RC over a couple of plates, no packing. Instead of using the conventional shotgun defleg, using a CCVM style RC.

Advantages:

Simple plumbing, no needle valve. RC & PC in series.
Simple build.
Easy to control reflux by just moving RC.
Already have CCVM RC.

Disadvantages:

???

Again, direct experience. If there is no-one that has direct experience, I guess that I'll try it myself and report back later.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: CCVM over plates

Post by bluefish_dist »

While I don't run a ccvm over plates, I run a lm/vm over plates. I think it works well. I am building a bigger one so I will soon have two of them.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you can only get reflux 1:1 vs no reflux with a deflag. Doesn't matter with how I run my still as I have never run 1:1.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
robdouglas
Novice

Post by robdouglas »

I ran vm over plates for years because cm fluctuates too much with water presure from the mains. Great for auto tails control but that can be a disadvantage if you want to collect tails. I still use vm for neautral with packed section over plates but i added a presure control valve to my water input and use the deflag cm for whisky. Best of both worlds.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Never mind, I found my answer way down in the flute talk thread. It seems that it will work ok, but if I want to collect tails, I'll have to remove the RC, cap it and and run as a pot still. It seems that I probably won't collect tails, as it seems that there isn't that much there when using a couple of perf plates.