They Said That it Could Not Be Done

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedwoodHillBilly

Re: They Said That it Could Not Be Done

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

cranky wrote: So lets just drop the whole thing and let this thread serve as a cautionary tail for anybody who may encounter the phenomenon to keep their mouths shut and never speak of such things again. It's just not worth the fight.
I enjoyed the discussion less the attitudes (there are none so blind as those who refuse to see). Having been in R&D most of my life, I have a couple of patents that came about from something not acting the way that I thought that it should. I have no way to replicate your results, but it would be interesting. Remember, one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Cranky, I understand not wanting to continue the pissing match, but There might be something there and it would be interesting to find out if it is so.
wiifm
Admin

Post by wiifm »

Come on mate. You're a highly respected member of this forum (author of the spoonfeeding thread no less). How could you expect not to be called upon it? I gave you two hints and instead of doing some research, you made it personal.

How much vacuum do you think you are generating? And what effect does a vacuum have on boiling point? I would venture to say that if you are generating a vacuum, then for a given temperature, you are going to generate a lower ABV.

There are some known ways of drying ethanol. If they were present in your scoria and carrying over to the resulatant distillate, wouldnt their effects diminish over time? Did you observe this? How do you account for the solution dropping back to 95.6%abv overnight?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I understand extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and the fact is since I don't document well I have no such proof nor am I willing to do what it would take to get it. So that said lets just say that ol' Cranky made a mistake for whatever reason and let this thread die off.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

wiifm wrote:How do you account for the solution dropping back to 95.6%abv overnight?
Important and yet unanswered question this phenomenon reported by many. The anhydrous ethanol would certainly be one explanation, I can't think of another.
Magnesium sulfate is for sure a component likely to be in most lava stone but from memory it makes up a relatively small percentage. I don't want to flog a dead horse especially without an autopsy report except to say this thread is far from a wasted discussion.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
ElectricEd
Novice

Post by ElectricEd »

A mate was running my continuous still and sent me this photo...
Bullshit!
Bullshit!
What caused it was that he'd forgotten to adjust the cooling flow through the product condenser so the liquid coming out was quite hot, had expanded a bit to reduce its specific weight which causes the alcohol reading to be high.
:esurprised:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

ElectricEd wrote:A mate was running my continuous still and sent me this photo...
Too hot? Too cold is more likely.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

NZChris wrote:
ElectricEd wrote:A mate was running my continuous still and sent me this photo...
Too hot? Too cold is more likely.
?
I think he is right. 100% at 35°C are about 95%.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
wiifm
Admin

Post by wiifm »

thecroweater wrote:
wiifm wrote:How do you account for the solution dropping back to 95.6%abv overnight?
Important and yet unanswered question this phenomenon reported by many. The anhydrous ethanol would certainly be one explanation, I can't think of another.
Magnesium sulfate is for sure a component likely to be in most lava stone but from memory it makes up a relatively small percentage. I don't want to flog a dead horse especially without an autopsy report except to say this thread is far from a wasted discussion.
IF it was anhydrous, it would drop back to 97.2abv
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

And if it wasn't it couldn't drop back :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin