run time

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

run time

Post by chickenfeed »

I have not seen a discussion about run times. I am using a 10gal reflux still made from a stainless milk container with a 3inch column 24inches long backed with copper mesh. If I run it slow to keep up the ABV its taking me 6-7 hours to run sometimes longer. This is total time from warm up to finishing out the tails at 10 to 20% abv I hear about a lot of people doing much shorter runs is a reflux still just a lot slower than a pot still? Should I be raising the temp to make it run faster. I have noticed when I do that I get more heads and tails and less hearts. I don't mind spending the time but wonder if I should try stripping runs by removing the column to make low wines and then running those slow. I currently add the feints (heads and tails) back into the next run while throwing out the fore shots. I would like to hear how long others are spending doing a run and if others skip the stripping runs like I do and just rerun the feints in the next batch.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: run time

Post by Still Life »

I have an 8-gallon, 2" CM reflux with a 1500W band heater.
Six hours from plug-in to plug-out stripping seems about right for me.

If running hotter gives you a worse product, don't!
Especially since you said you don't mind the time.

If you're just thinking yours takes extraordinarily long, I really doubt it.

Let's see what the pros say....
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Last bourbon run was 10 hrs from turn on to shut down. 77 gallons at 6% through a 6" column. I am a bit power limited, so my warmup is 3 hrs. If I added more power I could shave some time.

A typical strip run is 6.5 hrs for 78 gallons. I could add some power and get it done quicker.

Run time is really a function of power, column diameter, volume of wash/wort, and balancing it to getting the flavor you want. If it's too slow, add power and/or column diameter.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

There is a discussion about a similar subject: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 68&t=66582

There a fellow member tells he found an optimal speed of running: too fast gives a bad taste, too slow gives a bad taste too. Somewhere in between is a sweet spot.

I have a small still (10 ltr kettle and 10 ltr thumper) and my run times differ greatly. Half filled both of them with mash of 6 % and ran at full speed only 2:30 hours. But also ran my kettle plus spiral riser slowly with an air cooled condenser with 9,5 ltr of 30 % for about 10 hours.

Edit: that is without planning the set up and cleaning afterwards.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Seven gallon still, filled with 6, using a 220v 5500w heater element, running off 110 house current, start to finish, 3.5 hours.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

chickenfeed wrote:I have not seen a discussion about run times...Should I be raising the temp to make it run faster. I have noticed when I do that I get more heads and tails and less hearts...I don't mind spending the time but wonder if I should try stripping runs by removing the column to make low wines and then running those slow....if others skip the stripping runs like I do and just rerun the feints in the next batch.
There are many discussions and philosophies about "one & done" vs. "strip + spirit" runs. If you haven't seen (read) them, it's because you haven't looked.

First point...what the wash is and what your "target spirit" is matters. Some spirits are better suited for "one & done", brandy for example.

Second point...what type of equipment you have matters. Some stills are well suited for "one & done" operations, flutes for example.

Third point...your committment to this hobby matters. If you're a "get it quick" (quick reward) hobbiest, then you probably don't want to invest much time. But, if you're intrigued by "what the hobby could be", then the time investment is not your driving constraint. Creating "your product" is an art and the reward will parallel the investment.

If you have a potstill option, electing the "strip + spirit" protocol may yield you a better product, while it will use more of "your calendar". But, as many hobbies are...invested time is not wasted...it's invested in learning and perfecting an interest. And your hobby's product is the spirit you get to enjoy "when the day is done".

I am not advocating one method one way or the other....all that matters is that you enjoy the process, because it's your time you're spending. So, have fun doing it.
ss

edited to add: You can't "raise the temperature" because the temperature is a function of the wash being distilled. Surely, you know this already. I must assume what you meant was "turn the heat input" higher to increase the vapor production rate.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I am running a 10gal stainless reflux the collumn is 4inches by 36inches and is packed with copper mesh i am heating w a 1500 w element hooked up ti 220 lately i have been running ujssm and it takes about 8 to 10 hours

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I take 3 hours in summer, 4 in winter to run 25 litres (pot). If you're running UJSSSM - why do you want it in reflux mode ? Run in pot mode to get your flavour surely ?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

chickenfeed wrote:
........ I currently add the feints (heads and tails) back into the next run while throwing out the fore shots. I would like to hear how long others are spending doing a run and if others skip the stripping runs like I do and just rerun the feints in the next batch.
Yes is the simple answer but with a whiskey you (I anyway) want some of the heads and tails flavours in the hearts, else it is too bland imo.

[Edit for clarity - I mean I add some of the heads cuts and some of the tails cuts back, not that I want it smeared any more than it naturally is. ]
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Ok im not running the head so im going to strip then spirit run ill try vodka some other time
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

still_stirrin wrote:
chickenfeed wrote:I have not seen a discussion about run times...Should I be raising the temp to make it run faster. I have noticed when I do that I get more heads and tails and less hearts...I don't mind spending the time but wonder if I should try stripping runs by removing the column to make low wines and then running those slow....if others skip the stripping runs like I do and just rerun the feints in the next batch.
There are many discussions and philosophies about "one & done" vs. "strip + spirit" runs. If you haven't seen (read) them, it's because you haven't looked.

First point...what the wash is and what your "target spirit" is matters. Some spirits are better suited for "one & done", brandy for example.

Second point...what type of equipment you have matters. Some stills are well suited for "one & done" operations, flutes for example.

Third point...your committment to this hobby matters. If you're a "get it quick" (quick reward) hobbiest, then you probably don't want to invest much time. But, if you're intrigued by "what the hobby could be", then the time investment is not your driving constraint. Creating "your product" is an art and the reward will parallel the investment.

If you have a potstill option, electing the "strip + spirit" protocol may yield you a better product, while it will use more of "your calendar". But, as many hobbies are...invested time is not wasted...it's invested in learning and perfecting an interest. And your hobby's product is the spirit you get to enjoy "when the day is done".

I am not advocating one method one way or the other....all that matters is that you enjoy the process, because it's your time you're spending. So, have fun doing it.
ss

edited to add: You can't "raise the temperature" because the temperature is a function of the wash being distilled. Surely, you know this already. I must assume what you meant was "turn the heat input" higher to increase the vapor production rate.
Correct increasing the input
ATV
Novice

Post by ATV »

I use a 2 gallon pot still with a 3 coil copper worm condenser, and a everyday cooking hotplate. I fill about 3/4 full with a cane sugar/molasses mash and crank the heat. Runs are normally 3-4hrs. My condenser cools the steam before the first coil, so not worried about running hot and fast.
Was thinking of making a doubler, to product a higher proof but have concerns on safety and size needed for my 2 gallon. Also wondering if a doubler strips flavors?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

ATV wrote:I use a 2 gallon pot still with a 3 coil copper worm condenser, and a everyday cooking hotplate. I fill about 3/4 full with a cane sugar/molasses mash and crank the heat. Runs are normally 3-4hrs. My condenser cools the steam before the first coil, so not worried about running hot and fast.
Was thinking of making a doubler, to product a higher proof but have concerns on safety and size needed for my 2 gallon. Also wondering if a doubler strips flavors?
My advice is to make yourself a 5 gallon boiler, and use your current one as the doubler.

Also, run faster. I guess that means your not doing strip runs. That would likely give you about 2 cups (1/2 pint) of decent whiskey to keep. A lot of work for 4 hours.

A little upgrade, and stripping runs, and you could more than triple your output for the same amount of time.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

ATV wrote: Also wondering if a doubler strips flavors?
Depends what you put in there. Some people use doubler , or thumper, to add flavor. If you put strawberries, apples, tails from previous runs, herbs, etc., it will add those flavors to the product. If you put water in the thumper, and just use it to up the abv, then it could be said to lose flavor, but most will describe it as 'refining' the flavor, for the better.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ATV
Novice

Post by ATV »

I make rum, not whiskey but right now im getting 12 oz of 65-60%, 12 oz of 55-45% , 8-12 oz of 40-35%, 6 oz 25% cuts and around 750ml of tails at 10% out of 1.5-1.7 gallons , not sure if that's good or not. Ive always thought it was.

Idea would be filling doubler with tails n cuts, spend a extra 1$ /per lb to use cane sugar so would like to keep all my flavors, and not mask with a substitute.

Also, run faster. I guess that means your not doing strip runs. --> yep cus i have no idea what that is...lol

Thanks for the advice.