Spreadsheet Help

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Spreadsheet Help

Post by Mr Sippy »

Just completed my first spirit run ever :D 11.7 gal of 30% low wines from three 15 gal. batches. Over 2 episodes. Took careful notes. Good advice here- I didnt have to ask for any help on fermenting or stripping, Now I want to calculate, among other stuff, the take off rate(s) of my spirit run.

To calculate the take off rate, I divide 'Cut' cell (volume of cup) by 'delta T' cell (minutes to fill the cup) and get a meaningless number. 'Delta T' cell is formatted as custom h:min. I tried formatting the 'take off rate' cell as General and Number.

Reading a couple online help sources; excel stores time as a fraction of 24 hr day. I've tried dividing 'delta T' by 1440 (number of minutes/day) and still a meaningless number. Cant understand how excel is treating intervals of minutes or how to convert from 0:17 as time to 17 as integer for arithmetic purposes. This stuff is kind of laborious for me. Any advice for my take off rate calculation?

Cheers

Edit: I am using excel 2010
spreadsheet1.jpg
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Spreadsheet Help

Post by Swedish Pride »

=227 /MINUTE(K9)

put that in D9

8oz is 227ml hence the 227, the rest of it just converts the minutes to a number.

you'll need to amend it to =454 /MINUTE(K9) when you move up to 16oz cuts
Don't be a dick
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yes it's a pain with dates as well, if you want to do anything with them. I seem to remember if you format the "Minutes" cell as "Number", you should be able to see what is actually in there.

But if you think about it, although we do it all the time, dividing a volume by "minutes" is like trying to divide Oranges by Horseshoes, ie meaningless.

To get around it just store your volume as a number and your minutes as a number - you can say "Number of minutes" in the title cell to make it obvious if tyou like.
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

Swedish Pride: Perfect! Thanks. Think you meant to type 237 ml.

Pikey: Wanted to use the time stamps for cut calculation rather than input a new number. 'delta t' cell was a simply a holding place trying figure out the format.

The cell formula I'm using, e.g on row 10 =236.5882/MINUTE(B10-B9)

Thanks again :D
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Mr Sippy wrote:Swedish Pride: Perfect! Thanks. Think you meant to type 237 ml.

Pikey: Wanted to use the time stamps for cut calculation rather than input a new number. 'delta t' cell was a simply a holding place trying figure out the format.

The cell formula I'm using, e.g on row 10 =236.5882/MINUTE(B10-B9)

Thanks again :D

happy to help

btw 8 imperial oz =227.305ml. my bad
Don't be a dick