5 times distillation

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ArtArtLA
Novice

5 times distillation

Post by ArtArtLA »

Hey guys, so I'm running a beautiful turbo 500. I have a grape wash that I use, and I typically only distill one time. I want to try and still 5 to 6 times; each time diluting the alcohol to 40%, my question is do you think I should Make cuts after each time I distill or wait until the fifth and final distillation and make a cut?
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: 5 times distillation

Post by HDNB »

is it a grape wine or grape flavoured sugar head, like a grape kool-aid?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

It is grape concentrate, 3 times more concentrated than grape juice. Typically used in the wine industry
brat
Bootlegger

Post by brat »

Do you want to make a neutral from grape concentrate? Why do you want to run it five times?
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

Honestly looking for a smoother experience
brat
Bootlegger

Post by brat »

I don't think you need to run it five times. But if you do I wouldn't make any cuts till your final run. Have you made Brandy from the grape concentrate before?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I have in the past distilled 4 time.. strip run, spirit run to which I made the cuts, then re-distilled this spirit 2 additional times.. each of these re-distillation was reduced to 30 percent with no cuts made.. each past improved the smoothness of the product, with some slight lose of favour, but the smoothness was just great.. this was done with rye base and a wine brandy base..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

And you diluted each time?
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

No I have not, my family has always been into vodka. So I haven't experimented with anything else with grape concentrate
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Tito's says they distill their vodka 7 times, i'm sure it helps remove flavour.

i have multi-distilled sugar (rum) and it does not help smoothness but it reduced flavour. 3 years in wood smoothed it out.

If it's smoothness you want in vodka AG based vodka will be smoother for sure and cheaper than grapes by a long shot i'd bet.

(i say "for sure" but in truth i've never tried making grape juice booze myownself.)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

The gluten free aspect appeals to a lot of people LA so I think sticking to grape is the best option. I'm still wondering though if should cut each time I distill and dilute or should I just do it in the end.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its pointless to keep distilling anything without making cuts each time ....you just going around in a circle distilling the same stuff.........you might leave a bit of tails in the hot slops left in the boiler but not much else.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I would skip the "cuts" till last run. However i would run slow and pull fores/heads fairly slow then strip heart with no cuts. For each run. Then last run collect small am cut /blend
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ArtArtLA
Novice

Post by ArtArtLA »

Thank you so much
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

ArtArtLA wrote:The gluten free aspect appeals to a lot of people...................
Interesting - Htf do we think "gluten" is going to climb up the column and get into your glass ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Pikey wrote:Interesting - Htf do we think "gluten" is going to climb up the column and get into your glass ?
That will depend on who you talk to Pikey, who you ask, what you read.
Plenty say it can, a lot say it cant. Most Celiac suffers that Ive met steer clear of any grain based Spirit.