Remove sulfur from molasses using hydrogen peroxide

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tuner
Novice

Remove sulfur from molasses using hydrogen peroxide

Post by tuner »

Hi All,
Has anyone tried to remove sulfur from molasses using hydrogen peroxide?
Cheers
Tuner

http://www.h2o2.com/industrial/refinery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... -Treatment

Reduced Sulfur Compounds Treatment with Hydrogen Peroxide

Sulfur compounds, such as hydrogen sulfide, thiosulfates and mercaptans, can present serious wastewater problems for refiners. Hydrogen peroxide treatment is a cost effective way to reduce sulfur species.
https://www.wired.com/2015/06/wine-sulf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... ve-anyway/
Tuner Posts: 37Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:05 amequipment: 120 l 4 by 4 reflux called
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Remove sulfur from molasses using hydrogen peroxide

Post by Saltbush Bill »

None of your links seem to work.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

The links are broken, I think you cited them from some post. (I had the same problem once.)

Maybe these will do?
The first:
Reduced Sulfur Compounds Treatment with Hydrogen Peroxide:

http://www.h2o2.com/industrial/refinery ... -Treatment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The second:
https://www.wired.com/2015/06/wine-sulf ... ve-anyway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Lets try: Submit
tuner
Novice

Post by tuner »

Thanks for fixing the LINKS
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Might just be me BUT wouldn't it be easier to buy molasses without sulfur to begin with?

I can see there being some instances where if you could only find moll with sulfur to use some sort of chemical reactions to remove it but most of the world can find unsulfured if needed.

Interesting none the less.

Shine0n
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Shine0n wrote:Might just be me BUT wouldn't it be easier to buy molasses without sulfur to begin with?

I can see there being some instances where if you could only find moll with sulfur to use some sort of chemical reactions to remove it but most of the world can find unsulfured if needed.

Interesting none the less.

Shine0n
You been reading my mind Shineon :lol:
Ive talked to a few folk in the sugar industry here in AU and they say most molasses shouldn't have sulfur in it.
Least not in this country.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

I been thinking moll for agriculture isn't sulfured I've only seen it labeled on the food grade varieties.

I wish there was a test, guess I will have to do a small test of my own. There is a 5 gallon bucket at the feed store fer $20 that has had had my eye. Mite have to make the buy.
Last edited by Reverend Newer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'd be as/more suspicious of preservatives and antifungals of a super cheap mystery molasses. Does it have any labeling, or is it a filled on site from a bulk tank kind of thing? Regardless, at some point it came from someone who knows what is in it.

Tbh though, at $20, its worth a shot. I'd fill a waterbed with rum if I could get molly for $4/gallon.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Figures, it is just a plain white bucket with no writing.

The guy there is good ole boy that sings folk music, when I asked him about sweet feed he said it wasn't food grade, I laughed. So, I been not wanting to ask him about the moll and I suspect he doesnt know if it contains sulfur anyway.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The preservative in it will have no ill effects since you'll be diluting it quite a bit but the sulfur may be another concern but at 20 bucks I'd have to take my chances and where do you live, lol

I'd never stop making rum if I found that kind of deal, hell I won't stop anyway but cheaper molasses would make it alot easier on the wallet.

Go for it!!!
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

You guys talked me into it, gonna grab a bucket the next trip to the feed store, I'll report how the ferment goes.

If it won't work, guess I can always use it to make deer treats.