Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DenisO
Novice

Searching for some math

Post by DenisO »

Hi people

Im trying to make some "scripts" to calculate distilling data
Im stuck with calculating %AbV in boiler, with given temperature and atmosphere pressure

In case current pressure is directly one atmosphere, no problem then, I can use table with data, and will figure out current % AbV in boiler

But what if I need to calculate it for lower pressure? Mountain moonshining, hehe :)

Can anybody point me in right direction?

Thanks

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Bushman
Admin

Re: Searching for some math

Post by Bushman »

I find many of the calculations I need in a University text book called Distillation Design by Henry Z. Kister. Has more calculations than I will ever use. Not sure I totally understand your question, are you looking for a formula to calculate remaining alcohol content in boiler during a run based on volume, temp, and atmospheric temp?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Funny enough: see http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=57940

I do not remember if the formulas you want are there, but you have a good chance.

There was another thread of Edwin Croissant that was very interesting, but I did not find it yet.

This were formulas that were more like transformations to me. With 6th or more grade axes.

Some thread I started long ago: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=60363
I was looking for reliable data and a formula for %ABV in fluid to %ABV in vapour.
The data of Herminio Brau are correct and I use the formula of Hinous & Al Harthi.
Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe you find some leads.
DenisO
Novice

Post by DenisO »

Bushman wrote:I find many of the calculations I need in a University text book called Distillation Design by Henry Z. Kister. Has more calculations than I will ever use. Not sure I totally understand your question, are you looking for a formula to calculate remaining alcohol content in boiler during a run based on volume, temp, and atmospheric temp?
Thanks for advice, will check that book if find one
Yes, I’m trying to figure out how much AbV in boiler/vapor, based on barometer reading (mBar/pascal), and on temperature in boiler or/and top of column (vapor temp)
Pressure will effect on boiling temp for sure, and (probably) on AbV in vapor
DenisO
Novice

Post by DenisO »

Kareltje wrote:Funny enough: see http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=57940

I do not remember if the formulas you want are there, but you have a good chance.

There was another thread of Edwin Croissant that was very interesting, but I did not find it yet.

This were formulas that were more like transformations to me. With 6th or more grade axes.

Some thread I started long ago: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=60363
I was looking for reliable data and a formula for %ABV in fluid to %ABV in vapour.
The data of Herminio Brau are correct and I use the formula of Hinous & Al Harthi.
Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe you find some leads.
Thanks a lot, man!
You just provided lot of food for my brain :)
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Good appetite!

I remember vaguely tables used by the USoA customs and taxes to measure alcohol and I suppose every country has similar tables. With corrections for temperature and pressure. But tables are not formulas, so I don't know if they are useful for you.
DenisO
Novice

Post by DenisO »

I already have bunch of tables, but all of them for 1 atmosphere (760 mmHg), that is main problem