gluten allergy?

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Backwoods
Novice

gluten allergy?

Post by Backwoods »

I had a girl come into my liquor store the other day saying she needed pure potato vodka (i sold her a bottle of chopin) because she was allergic to gluten.
I know gluten is found in all kinds of grains especially wheat making almost all if not all beers off limits to this gal. However on the hard alcohol side of the equation i can't see how gluten could make it through the distilling process. Not being that savy on what all carries through in large amounts, or trace amounts, beyond the ethanol i thought i would put the question to you guys and see if anyone out there knows about this or has any suggestions.
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: gluten allergy?

Post by blanikdog »

No idea here, but I'm certain that you will find someone who does.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Trace amounts of base materials come threw but most alcohol is not made with wheat or others with gluten as is beer unless light does not ,
beer =barley + Malt= no gluten. Bourbon= corn+ malt , I would say just watch the light drinks mite have wheat or something to lighting the flavor
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

My wife has the same issue..........can't drink anything wheat based so we stick to sugar and corn products or wines and beer. We knew she had a gluten allergy but it took us a hell of long time to figure out that distilled spirits were also causing problems.............

NeverWouldHaveThoughtItPossibleMinime
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

There is another old post here somewhere that explores this topic too.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Dnderhead wrote: beer =barley + Malt= no gluten.
Barley DOES contain gluten...here's one of many references: http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole ... ole-grains

I think the issue is more whether or not gluten is found in distilled beverages. It obviously is in beer-there are several gluten free ones being made commercially.
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

I have a Gluten alergy, i would say it dont come accross..

If i eat 4 odd slices of bread it will put me to sleep for 2-3hours eaven if i just woke up from a good nights sleep..
after drinking 4+ drinks i just feel happyer... :D

but i guess there could be traces of other gluten reated chemicals..
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I don't know about distilled fluids and gluten, but as a baker I've heard every allergy under the sun. Some people have wheat allergies but can eat spelt bread, which is a type of wheat. Others can't eat spelt bread. One guy I know is allergic to just about everything but vodka, whatever it's made from.:? Some folks have gluten sensitivities, and can still eat a limited amount of bread and are fine if they don't overdo it. Some are really allergic and mustn't eat wheat or any grain containing gluten at all. There are a couple of variations and the severity all depends on the actual medical condition.
I do all my own stunts
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

I have a violent reaction to gluten if I eat bread, regular pasta, flour tortillas or wheat based beer. Straight to the hospital. I have no reaction at all to wheat based distilled spirits. I think the gluten doesn't get through the distillation. Damned happy for that as I used to love beer, and I currently love whisky.
Some men you jest cain't reach...