I need a superfast and funky turbo brew!

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mooncat
Novice

I need a superfast and funky turbo brew!

Post by mooncat »

In a couple of weeks time a group of us are off to France for a recording session, we have rented out a massive villa and there will be about twenty-thirty of us. As we are a large group we usually all chip in and help make food, drinks etc. This is always popular and sometimes can get a bit strange, just last year the most popular dish was the Pepper soup which someone made by throwing in a whole packet of paprika into a pot of water, and adding a chopped onion lol...
Anyway while I am there I wouldn't mind producing a cheap brew for the group. As we are only there for a week this does limit what I can do due to time constraints, and I know it's not a brewers favourite but I think I have no choice but to use one of the 24/48 turbo yeasts. As for the recipe I was thinking of doing some kind of strong fruit wine/cider using peaches or apples, or using some grape juice to make a super quick wine, another idea was just to make a sugar was and just add some elderflower cordial to it. Please remember the ingredients do need to be found in the average supermarket, with the exception of the yeast which I bring from the UK......

Think more Mad Dog 20/20 than a '59 Dom Perignon on this one, and as long as it is cheap, drinkable and fast to make I am sure it would be a hit.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to make a super fast brew that should be palatable????
Halfbaked
retired

Re: I need a superfast and funky turbo brew!

Post by Halfbaked »

Mooncat welcome. We ask that your first post be in our welcome center.. Please head over and give us a little history about what you like to drink and some non personal info. Most of us focus more on shine than wine.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

mooncat wrote:So does anyone have any ideas on how to make a super fast brew that should be palatable????
No. "Superfast turbo brew" and "palatable" are mutually exclusive. :eh:

tp
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

google 'skeeter-pee'
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I suggest you do test runs before you go. If things are going to get explosive, or messy, you don't want to find that out in an Hotel closet. For what I'm suggesting you will need a tray underneath to catch accidents.

Can you get large plastic bottles of apple juice? 3l or more would be best. Do the ferment in the bottle.
Because you want speed, you need to keep it between 32C-38C, so get that sorted before you leave.
Do not use one of those bubble airlocks because it might turn into a juice fountain.

Not knowing what you can get....

The ferment will want to overflow, so pour a bit off the top and get the bottles up to temperature. Rehydrate bakers yeast (1/2 tsp per 3l) correctly, starting in 40C water, feeding it some juice etc. to get it rockin. Once it's going well pitch it and place the cap on, but don't turn it.

It won't have to ferment to dry, or be clear, to be nice, alcoholic, drinkable. You might be able to put some in a screw cap soft drink bottle and gas it to make bubbly for the last day, but you should have several practice goes at that before you leave, and point them out the window when you open them.

Good luck ... you'll need some :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

rad's all-bran works fast,