12% Cyser

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justafarmer
Novice

12% Cyser

Post by Justafarmer »

Today I bottled a simple cyser at 12% ABV. Recipe was simply apple juice, honey, a crushed B complex vitamin, some boiled yeast, and a packet of Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast. I know this is gonna take a while to reach its potential. My question is, can I store it in my garage or shed, or does it need steady temps in the 72 degree range as it ages. It would be a lot more convenient to store it in my shed or garage. Closet space is limited. I don't want to ruin an expensive batch of cyser though, either. What do yall think?
just sayin
Rumrunner

Re: 12% Cyser

Post by just sayin »

12% will freeze and break the bottle if it is cold enough and temperatures near 100 do not lend themselves to optimum aging. Know your location would help (state, region or country). Scotland, most likely ok. Juno, Alaska or Death Valley not so much.
Justafarmer
Novice

Post by Justafarmer »

Location certainly matters, and I forgot to add it. I'm in the NE corner of Florida, so my garage and shed both see 100 degrees in the summer. I doubt if it ever drops below freezing in either. Thanks for the help!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I wouldn't let it get anywhere near 100. Keep it under 80 if you can. Cold isn't so much of a worry, most yeast may go dormant at cold temps but they will come right back when it warms up.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

i dont know much about aging cyser but i personally stive to keep all my home made around 10-20'c. rathere easy here in scotland.
Justafarmer
Novice

Post by Justafarmer »

Thanks for the help! I made room in the 72 degree closet. I'm guessing it'll have to sit there for at least a year, although I plan to start sampling one bottle a month at about 8 months.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Keep it where you keep your canned goods....like your canned fruits. Typically, it would age well in a basement. But I suppose for those who live in Florida, the basement would be a little wet!

If you have a cool dry pantry, age your bottles in there. Or, better yet...buy a used refridgerator and put it in your garage (or out building) and put the bottles in there. That way, you can try one every once in a while to see how they're coming along. And when you're ready to serve them, they're already chilled.

I've always aged my cisors in a keg in a cooler so they were ready to hook to the tap when conditioned.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K