Mead

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Mead

Postby Shine0n » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am

Just made another 5 gal with 10 lbs wild flower honey, trying for a dryer mead this recipe and possibly a blend once finished with the sweeter stuff.

I've found that once chilled the sweeter mead is excellent but if it warms up on ya the sweetness is a bit overpowering imo.

2 lbs per 5 gal should get me a nice dry mead and I'll check and see if I like it or back sweeten to my taste after the first racking.

The melomel is freaking fantastic already and is racked and starting to clear nicely so a few more months should be bottling time.

5 gal of orange blossom
5 gal of blue berry blossom
Arrived yesterday!!!
Should keep me busy for the year and make some fine mead :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

I haven't touched either of my new honeys but just wanted to update about the raspberry and traditional.

The raspberries will need another racking this weekend and I think it will clear nicely after, the flavor is good with the berries and the honey is on the back end and I think 6 months it will nice and clear and bottled, I'm keeping it in the barn to keep cool and let the the yeasties fall and I'll keep there till it gets right damn cold before bringing in the house.
I may keep in the crawl space since it doesn't fall below 50f, I'd like to get a few keg setup to force carbonate and serve chilled and by the time it's ready I may already have that. lol

The traditional is not clearing all that well but slowly getting there, after the first racking there has been a load of yeast falling but I opened it the other day and it seemed like it was still fermenting... well I'll let it keep on keeping on till it's ready.

I have a 5 gal dry traditional at my mom's house I haven't seen in 2 weeks and I added all the nutes at the beginning because a great mead maker said that's what he does so that's what I've done. I think it is going to be fine but I need to get it home so I can keep up with progress.
10 lbs for a 5 gal and d47 and the temps have been in the mid 60s and that's ideal so I'll see Saturday when I visit her and strap it in my truck like a baby.

I need to go and buy 2 new 15 gal fermenters for this new mead I plan on and also one for enough for a couple stripping runs plus a spirit run for another project.
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Old Town » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:50 pm

So what's the other project your working on?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby bilgriss » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:19 am

I agree with the sweet/cold statements. I'd have to bottle really sweet meads in 4oz containers for the right size. It's just overwhelming beyond that, but nice for a sip. There's definitely a point though where you can have both sweetness and drinkability, with the right recipe. Hit that 'sweet spot' (pun intended) and don't throw away your recipe. I'm sure this is different for everyone.....

Keep us posted on the new honeys after they're in process.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby kiwi Bruce » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Hit that "sweet Spot" and you become a Viking!
I'll just sit quietly in the corner over here, with a tall glass of something special.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Postby jb-texshine » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:14 am

kiwi Bruce wrote:Hit that "sweet Spot" and you become a Viking!

A Viking God you mean!
To hit the sweet spot try($)double ferments,one sweet and one dry,then blend.
I do it when I buy special honeys so I get what I want. But that's mostly in 1gallon ferments.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:32 am

Well the other project will be a cheaper honey and make some honey shine, using D47 at a higher temp to get more of the esters to come through, stripping low wines down to 10% Then using the backset at 15% for a spirit run.
Then using the backset for a corn sugar head wash. later later later.

Orange blossom will be traditional
blueberry will be traditional and some melomel

oak aging in a Balcones 5 gal barrel

120 lbs of honey I think I have options eh!
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby jb-texshine » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

Make a razzberry melomel but for distilling (o.g.1.070ish) and double distill it,leave it white. Let it sit a 4-6months and you'll be pleased with it. I age it in glass with natural cork so it can breath a bit. I also collect the heads in small jars as the heads carry over a lot of raspberry that can be blended in small amounts back into the keep. You'll find the right jar.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 pm

hell yeah jb, that sounds delicious!
I just picked up another 20 lbs of clover and might get another 20 tomorrow or Monday.

The D47 is working good and I might ferment at a bit higher temp than for my meads so it will throw out some more of the fruity esters, I just bought another 15 and 12 gal fermenter from ts today and looks like that will be the next project!

All the frozen fruit at Walmart is on sale because of the holls so I'll pick up 8 lbs tomorrow as well.
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:10 pm

I just thought of it when I took a sip of my overly dry cider and it hit me... Blend some of this to my slightly too sweet mead!!!
I think this could be a beautiful beginning here :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Previous

Return to Beer, and Wine