Craft Beer

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

likkerlover
Novice

Re: Craft Beer

Post by likkerlover »

Agree with dogfish head not making a bad beer. sierra nevada too. schlafly seems to have quite a few good ones too but dont know how far they distribute. and homebrewing can only help your mashing technique so get yourself a big ol pot and give it a go. only difference is grain bill and hops
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

likkerlover wrote:sierra nevada too.
For whatever reason, we don't see too many Sierra Nevada beers here in Michigan. I was at a bar last year when they had a SN tap takeover and was surprised how many different styles they make! Never knew.
Just had one on tap last night called There and Back, described as an English Bitter. I do love english style beers when I can find them, and this was a great example.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

we get them across in scotland if you know where to look
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Perrin Brewing in Grand Rapids, MI has released a couple new beers in their "Killing Craft Series"
One is a Russian Imperial Stout, the other is an English Style Barley Wine Ale.
They are both aged for 9 months is Van Winkle Family Reserve bourbon barrels.
The stout is 11.3%, called "Kill 'Em All", the barley wine comes in at 12.8%, called "With Kindness"
My understanding was that Perrin started out as a craft brewery for folks that wanted something a little "lighter" than most craft beers. When you're not in the mood for Founder's, have a Perrin.
My first visit to their brewery a few years ago pretty much confirmed that.
This release will have me taking a closer look at their products.
Not sure how far they distribute, but I know there are a bunch of Michigan folks on here.
I got one of each and am looking forward to a nice time to sit back and savor. :D
Kill em all.jpg
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

looks good and the names gave me a smile.

i was at a small ale fest lastnight good fun. loads to drink unfortunatly im sitting at work now. -_-
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I like Ellicott's, blueberry wheat is a good one. An obscur NY brew.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I like walking in a bar and seeing something on tap Ive never even heard of, let alone tried, after trying many hundreds of unique beers over the years. Our craft beer culture in this country is incredible and there is ALWAYS something new and exciting to try. That is awesome! There are over 3000 craft breweries in the US. And each makes many different beers. Many say the market is oversaturated. BAH to that I say, I love it (probably less so if I was attempting to start one up at this point)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Jo Diesel
Novice

Post by Jo Diesel »

I started brewing 6 years age. Had Sam Adams taste with Bush budget. MI raised tax on a case of beer $1.60 and said screw you and started brewing my own. Doing a Rye IPA tomorrow along with a rum run. My Hot water tun is my still. As soon as the sparge water is in the mash tun my wash gets siphoned in and fire it up while the wort is boiling.Image

15 gallon batches.
Whiskey, my light beer
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I feel that Six Point Brewing in NY doesn't get enough love. Their "Resin" is one of my go-to beers right now. There's a brewery in my home town called "Grey Sail" that makes a beer called "Captain's Daughter" that is an excellent IIPA... this beer will put them on the map soon.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Jimbo wrote:I like walking in a bar and seeing something on tap Ive never even heard of, let alone tried, after trying many hundreds of unique beers over the years. Our craft beer culture in this country is incredible and there is ALWAYS something new and exciting to try. That is awesome! There are over 3000 craft breweries in the US. And each makes many different beers. Many say the market is oversaturated. BAH to that I say, I love it (probably less so if I was attempting to start one up at this point)
Precisely. I never buy the same beer twice these days, and why should I? The variety is amazing. If I can't find a bomber of something new then I go to a different shop for awhile. A few weeks later and there are several new lines or even brands to choose from. Craft beer here is sold at gas stations, fruit stands, grocery stores, and pretty much everywhere else except hardware stores for some stupid reason.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Jimbo wrote:(probably less so if I was attempting to start one up at this point)
thats one of my dreams. my feeling is aslong as your in it for quality and love of brewing and not for cash you will do allright. as a target market beer geeks are pretty easy. have a few regular brews to keep people who like the same thing happy. then follow up with a high amount of interesting/difernet brews. maybe even call in some guest brewers or collaborations with other brewerys. as long as you have a flow of beer thats unique you'll allways find some one to buy it.

bearriver wrote: except hardware stores for some stupid reason.
i dont know why drunk diy is exceptionally fun. even if you mostly mess up. :lol:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

If y'all run across one of these, do yourself a favor!
image.jpg
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Besides my beer, I like Flying Dogs beer. One of my favorites is their Double Dog. I don't buy it that often 'cause it's 11.5% and a few of 'em can catch up with ya pretty quick, and if they are in the 'fridge, I'm going to drink them.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Not sure why but every time I've had a raging bitch from flying dog it was off. Tasted like burnt rubber or something. I've tried it 3 times at different locations.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Kegg_jam wrote:Not sure why but every time I've had a raging bitch from flying dog it was off. Tasted like burnt rubber or something. I've tried it 3 times at different locations.
Haven't had one of those in a while, so I just went out a bought a 6er and I'm drinking one right now. It's very hoppy and It may be a little heavy handed on the Columbus hops, but other than that, it's pretty good.
As a matter of fact, the more I drink, the better it's gettin'......
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Craft Beer

Post by raketemensch »

I mad a Kriek at about this time last year. It was OK then, but it's incredible now. I was cleaning in the basement last weekend and found a fermenter with a gallon of it left. I've been tempted to throw it in the stockpot still, but there's no way to make cuts with so little fluid.

It looks like they didn't use cherries, which I thought was what made a Kriek...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Sold a vessel to a local brewery today. They are called Beerded Brothers. He scored a bottle of mine for two of his plus a snazzy new SS insulated growler. Looks like I made out with an amber ale brewed with agave nectar. Great guys, great beer.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

So, after a little research, Kriek is traditionally a lambic beer (60-70% barley malt and 30-40% unmalted wheat) which is then re-fermented with sour Morello cherries.

Not that I'm knocking the Brooklyn brewery, I looked for a bottle of that tonight and couldn't find it, I just wanted to see if what I had in my head was wrong or not.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Lagunitas High West-ified :thumbup:
Lagunitas Bloodshot Few Brew: :thumbup:
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

The last beer I ever drank was Heady Topper, and it's still the best.
ericrichards420
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ericrichards420 »

Here is a beer that I modified to suit my needs.
Ready to fill my kegs back up with this one.
Attachments
Amber-honey.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

ericrichards420 wrote:Here is a beer that I modified to suit my needs.
Looks like my arrogant Bastard recepie, with honey.

I love the honey malt. I use it in my Honey Bear Bourbon :thumbup: Mmmmmmm.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ericrichards420 wrote:Here is a beer that I modified to suit my needs.
sounds like a good one might give it a shot.