going to open a brewery.

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: going to open a brewery.

Post by Odin »

Yes, you will need an upgrade to 32 amps breakers and 400 volts, Wooteck!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
SparraG
Novice

Post by SparraG »

You sir are a legend! I wish I could follow your steps!

Will watch this closely, going to your region next year and will need to buy a drop or 6!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Best advise I've heard is " remember, you're starting a marketing company that happens to have alcohol as its product"

You said you're up on the marketing which is good because you can make the best beer in the world but if it's not marketed right.....

Good luck
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

goinbroke2 wrote:Best advise I've heard is " remember, you're starting a marketing company that happens to have alcohol as its product"

You said you're up on the marketing which is good because you can make the best beer in the world but if it's not marketed right.....

Good luck
good advice and one that i allways keep in mind
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I'll be around Dundee and Edinburgh on / around Feb 18th. You available for a beer, Woo?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Odin wrote:I'll be around Dundee and Edinburgh on / around Feb 18th. You available for a beer, Woo?

Regards, Odin.
sure thing
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good things don't happen overnight, hope you haven't drained your finances these last couple years working on this!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Bushman wrote:Good things don't happen overnight, hope you haven't drained your finances these last couple years working on this!
im not going to say its been cheap but alot of it has been recouped through homebrew experaments. other than the costs for my 100l brew kit, my kegs and keg system the cost (keg system was on the cards anayway) has been on ingrediants but they turn in to a full corney of beer.

i was lucky enough to be in a bar and catch wind of the 100l kit that cost me £500 if i was to buy it myself the price would have been £1000+

im still working desinging stronger recipes. alot of the time the serious brew sessions dont hit the mark i intended and the fun sessions where i take less notes are things that i really enjoy.

im forever learning new tricks and getting difinitive answers to questions i have had. ive also come to the conclusion that while i could do it in my home id need at verry least a storage locker where i could store the bulk items like bottles that are rather pricey when not in bulk.

theres also the worry that the craft beer market is slowing and that it maybe coming to a tough time to be a start up. the whole brexit situation may effect the beer market significantly, incressing the cost of ingreadents that are non-domstic. only time will tell.

still the dream and im keeping on that road.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Following your dream is the only road worth following, Woo. Go get them. Brexit or no Brexit, I'll buy your beer for sure.

Odin.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Odin wrote:Following your dream is the only road worth following, Woo. Go get them. Brexit or no Brexit, I'll buy your beer for sure.

Odin.
thats good to hear. looking forward to meeting up. if i can find my capper ill bring some samples :D if not i may bring a growler or 2
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Wooteck, Congrats brother, great to read about you diving in. The brewhouse game is all about growth, growth growth. Once you have distribution channels, you can sell what you can make, so you'll be turning all profits into growth as often as you can because youre biggest problem will be you cant make enough. So keep this in mind regarding space.

Ive read some excellent books, written by people like you and me, that bootstrap breweries from nothing to ridiculous, with all the crazy challenge, growth and success stories. Tony Magee's book on starting and growing Lagunitas is excellent. Sam Caligione's books on Dogfish Head are great too. Jim Koch's book on Sam Adams and Ken Grossmans book on Sierra Nevada, all excellent. Many people have invented this wheel starting right where you are. Lucky for us, they wrote about it.

Cheers!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Jimbo wrote:Wooteck, Congrats brother, great to read about you diving in. The brewhouse game is all about growth, growth growth. Once you have distribution channels, you can sell what you can make, so you'll be turning all profits into growth as often as you can because youre biggest problem will be you cant make enough. So keep this in mind regarding space.

Ive read some excellent books, written by people like you and me, that bootstrap breweries from nothing to ridiculous, with all the crazy challenge, growth and success stories. Tony Magee's book on starting and growing Lagunitas is excellent. Sam Caligione's books on Dogfish Head are great too. Jim Koch's book on Sam Adams and Ken Grossmans book on Sierra Nevada, all excellent. Many people have invented this wheel starting right where you are. Lucky for us, they wrote about it.

Cheers!
ive got sam caligione's one and james watt of brew dogs ones. while the us ones are helpfull theres alot that dosent apply to me in the uk.

the good think about starting out small is i can kick off using 60-100l fermenters that arnt too expensive. so i can grow on the fv capacity pretty quickly building a rack so i can stack fv keeps down on the floor space. installing chilling is where it adds a littel more to the price but i have a few ideas on what to do for that.

i think my issue is im maybe hypercritical of what i make and any flaws stand out. i had an iteresting conversation with a mon from the industry he said. it has to be good to great but you dont have to be making the best.