Strawberry wine from concentrate

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Strawberry wine from concentrate

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

I'm making a wine using:

4 cans of welch's strawberry breeze concentrate
8 lbs sugar
5 gals of water
1 pack baker's yeast

I talked to a friend, who makes all of his wines using this method. Different fruit. usually fresh fruit.

Should I add any thing to this recipe?

If it turns out bad, I will just distill it.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I would have used a wine yeast if I were you. The baker's yeast may get you up as high as 8%, which is basically a strong beer. A wine yeast will take it above 12% depending on which one you use.

I could be wrong on the baker's yeast, as I've never used it for anything but baked goods though.

cheers

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

A bakers yeast will yeild 12% without any real effort. Some special care and effort can yeild another 2 points.

Most wine yeasts will yeild 16% easily, with some like EC-1118 able to get 18% easily (more with special care).

It's been suggested before, but I'll say it again here 'cause there has been a big influx of new folk around here: A tastier wash/mash is the first benifit of a low abv% wash/mash. The second benifit is the speed of the fermentation. Read the boards here and pay attention to all the folk doin' super high alcohol content washes and how they wanna know if their wash is finished workin' after a month and it's still slowly bubblin'. Then they distill it and have all sorts of carbon polishin' questions 'cause they can't get it past their nose to drink it.

A 5-8% wash/mash will finish fast. As fast as 2-3 days and even an 8% wash will be done in less than a week if treated nicely.

The trick to havin' enough around and not runnin' out isn't to make a stronger wash... the solution is to have more and larger fermenters. If yer fermentin' out a 5-gallon wash at 18% it could take from weeks to more than a month to finish fermentin'. But a 20 gallon wash at even a low 5% will ferment out in a few days and yeild more alcohol than the 18% 5-gallon wash that will take a month. In that month ya could ferment and distill four 5% washes of any size, and they will taste better and be smoother and age quicker, and best of all they will have less heads and tails yeildin' a larger body %.

As in many things that combine art and science, fermentation and distillation aren't always intuitive and straight-forward.

I wih ya luck.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If you havent done it yet,heres the modified recipe.{I do these all the time}
10 cans of frozen strawberry breeze{at least 2 cans per gallon,3 is better}
6 to 8 pounds of sugar{check sg and set to 1095-1000,no higher}
4 tsps tartaric acid{or the juice of 2 lemons and 2 oranges}
pectic enzyme{if you have it.If not dont worry about it}
1 1/4 tsp of tannin{if you have it.If not dont worry about it}
1 pack of wine yeast{the bread yeast wont do nearly as good}
This will make a good wine.Let it ferment out until it clears completely,and rack it off the sediment into a clean container,and let it set under a airlock for a month.
The more cans of juice you use,the less sugar you use.
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

My recipe is almost like wineo snd I agree to 2 cans per gallon but 3 is better. Hear is my recipie.

The wine you are making will be very light on flavor and not much body.
You should use at least two cans of the juice per gallon and defiantly use a wine yeast. The bakers yeast will give you a lot of off flavors and the most notable one will be a cider test.

I have made 100’s of gallons with the same juice, this is my recipie.

This is per gallon of wine for 5 gallons just times it by 5

Two cans welch's strawberry breeze concentrate
2 lbs of sugar or until Specific gravity is 1.090
1 teaspoon nutrient
¾ teaspoon acid blend
½ teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 campdon tablet
¼ teaspoon energizer

Fill primary fomenter with juice and enough water to 5 gallons.
Add all ingredients except yeast. Stir well to dissolve all ingredients.
In one cup of warm water dissolve yeast and let sit about 10 minutes. Dump in to wine and stir well. Ferment for 5 – 7 days until specific gravity is 1.040 Rack wine into glass carboy Attach fermentation lock.. Rack in about 3 weeks when fermenting is done. Rack in 3 months and bottle when stable and clear.
ChillinDistilln
Novice

Post by ChillinDistilln »

I'm new here, but I've been making wine/beer for 20 years...

In my general opinion, bakers yeast has no place in making wine or beer. I've used it, and won't use it again unless I'm baking bread.

2nd opinion, fresh fruit will make better wine everytime. I've had success with concentrates and juices, but fresh fruit makes the best wine. I won't make wine anymore unless its with fresh fruit in season.

Just my 2 cents.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

THM and chillin...

I couldn't agree more.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i have been doing what i learned to be 7% on a ujsm. i stepped it up and done a 12% and let it ferment twice as long and wound up with the same yield according to smell and taste cuts. i have sence went back to the 7%. works good so i will leave it alone
Day Late;Dollar Short