Hard Cider

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hard Cider

Post by raketemensch »

That sounds slow enough to be worth a hydrometer reading.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

1.000 after only 3 days? som'n aint right
Last edited by frodo on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

I dropped 2 cups of sugar into the bottle and {wth} some cinnamon also

its chuggen away...if it makes it makes, if it dont, i'll dumb it on a matter plant
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Frodo your jugs look exactly like the 1 gal jugs I got. What # bung did you buy? I've been wanting to get bungs, drilled and solid for my 1 gal jugs. And got a question abt the cider. Once ferment is done and you transfer to jugs, your just capping off and leaving sit? Or are you airlock in them? Sounds like a dumb question but I thought I saw that someone ferments, then transfers for a 2nd ferment.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

bungs are #6 I needed 6.5, they are working, not leaking...

monday, new 6.5 will be here...

the bung fits and I checked for leaks by adding a spoon full of water on top of the bung
no bubbles, no leaks

after they stop bubbling, I plan on letting them sit for a week to clear

then I will re bottle, and store till next year
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Thanks. So after ferment you'll let them sit under airlock a whole week? That's not too long?
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

this is my first,,from what i understand . after ferment. they need to sit and clear

it could take a week

also to make sure the ferment process has finished. then bottle

I do not want exploding bottles

after bottling, cap and store

as I said, this is my first, If i am not doing it correctly, chime in with information,

i am open and willing to do it correctly

bung water seal
bung seal 002.JPG
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Ok. Yeah I've only got all bran under my belt so I'm trying to figure it all out. The idea of making both hard cider and apple brandy got me excited.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

PTS_35 wrote:Ok. Yeah I've only got all bran under my belt so I'm trying to figure it all out. The idea of making both hard cider and apple brandy got me excited.
It was one of the first things I did when I started distilling.
Unfortunately I added sugar to my cider and wrecked it for brandy, the product was sub-par at best.

Now I've made what tastes like good cider, unfortunately I am unsure about the source of the juice.
They say on the label that it contains apples and vitamin C and that's it.
It tastes like apple juice, but it's from China so I just don't know.
What I should do is go ahead and distill the 8 gallons left in the fermenter and then save the brandy made from it and then make a batch from Tree Top juice and make brandy from it and put it up to age along side the Chinese stuff.
Then maybe in a year do a taste test and see if one is better than the other.
Realizing that there are many variables however if there's a definite difference then I'll have some evidence one way or the other.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Chinese apple juice? You are a braver man than I. I'm shocked that such a thing is even legal to import into the US...

Good luck with it! Hopefully you got a good batch of juice. :shifty:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

bearriver wrote:Chinese apple juice? You are a braver man than I. I'm shocked that such a thing is even legal to import into the US...

Good luck with it! Hopefully you got a good batch of juice. :shifty:
After I started fermenting the batch someone asked about the source so I started doing research.
What I learned is that unless it proudly proclaims that the juice is 100% USA sourced then you have to assume it is not.
There are several major brands as well as store brand juices that are sourced from places like China and Turkey.
Most of the apple juice consumed in the USA is not from apples grown here.
Look carefully at the containers, the Safeway brand juice says on the container that it is from China but you have to look carefully to find it.
I'd much rather drink juice from US grown apples, and have told my family members to not buy store brand juice any more.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

rad14701 wrote:
frodo wrote:did some reading, instead of looking, got it !!!

now, i need to figure out how to figure what the abv might be
Use the calculators of the parent site, unless you like longhand formulas... Lots of handy calculators on the parent site...

(OG - FG) * 129 = %ABV

Or you can substitute SG for FG for mid-ferment %ABV measurements...
Rad, in the formula above you say to multiply by 129, alot of others say multiply by 131. I have seen both all over the place!!! Which is more accurate? After working it both ways I realized the diff is only about 0.2 percent... So i have been fudging a bit and multiply by 130 instead. Not that it matters to me personally(ain't concerned with a 1/4%) but was just wondering. My personal thoughts are you get what you get and don't throw a fit!
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

After I started fermenting the batch someone asked about the source so I started doing research.
What I learned is that unless it proudly proclaims that the juice is 100% USA sourced then you have to assume it is not.
There are several major brands as well as store brand juices that are sourced from places like China and Turkey.
Most of the apple juice consumed in the USA is not from apples grown here.
Look carefully at the containers, the Safeway brand juice says on the container that it is from China but you have to look carefully to find it.
I'd much rather drink juice from US grown apples, and have told my family members to not buy store brand juice any more.[/quote]

I got mussel man's cider from wally world. It's USA apples and tastes good and only has citric acid and apple juice. Now I went and got generic frozen concentrate only to use to dial in the OG. Reason I got it was bc the USA one had more than citric acid listed, I was there and couldn't waste time so I picked what I knew. That one that only had citric acid didn't have China listed though. It had like 3 countries, can't remember off hand but basically listing three sourced countries for the juice. I didn't see china. But if I don't have to use the concentrate I won't.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg
here is what i used
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Good Stuff!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

PTS_35 wrote:Thanks. So after ferment you'll let them sit under airlock a whole week? That's not too long?

at this point, I dont even know my name.

I read and was told the juice would bubble for 3 or 4 weeks..looks like mine is about done in a week.

so,, as far as clearing goes, I guess when its clear, I'll know how long it took. LOL

I will ck the SG tonight. if it is 1.000 this stuff is getting strained.
ksarrow
Novice

Post by ksarrow »

Rack it, let it settle out and maybe rack it again. Helps keep it from being too dry if it not already. Cold crash it if your happy with the SG. Longer you can let it sit the better.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

frodo wrote:
PTS_35 wrote:Thanks. So after ferment you'll let them sit under airlock a whole week? That's not too long?

at this point, I dont even know my name.

I read and was told the juice would bubble for 3 or 4 weeks..looks like mine is about done in a week.

so,, as far as clearing goes, I guess when its clear, I'll know how long it took. LOL

I will ck the SG tonight. if it is 1.000 this stuff is getting strained.
im my exp. most of my ferments are done with in 7-10 days(if not less) as long as it a reasonable OG well oxygenated and Ive pitched a good amount of yeasts.

i started off a cider kit as i just moved flat and the hobs on the oven dont take my brew pots. seems to be off to a good start. im not to sure how long it will last out of primary im hoping to get it kegged and force carb'd.

its a mango and raspberry fruity number for the SOH and to tide me over till i can get some malt mixed with some hops.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

.990 fsg 13%abv strained and in the fridge :clap:

i just need experience, and quite freak'n out :mrgreen:
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Yeah! That's great. How's it taste?
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

wasnt bad, will be better after it sits
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Nice. Idk what to do now. I saw you added sugar and others say don't add any. Wonder if that's why it fermented out quicker than what I've read it taking 4 wks or whatever. You got me wantin to add sugar now. I got concentrate tho so I'll aim for the OG using that. See what happens
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

The length of time isn't so much about how long it takes to ferment out. I have some in fermenters that have been finished for a week or more, but they will sit for another couple of weeks. Jimbo talks about what goes on with allowing the additional time after the ferment completes in other threads in the "Recipe Development" section of the forums. He has said that it is best to leave the wash sitting in the fermenter for at least 30 days before running (for brandy). If you're making hard cider, it should sit for about 6 months to reach its maturity.

If I can find a link to the discussion, I'll post it here.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I have some in fermenters that have been finished for a week or more, but they will sit for another couple of weeks.
it is best to leave the wash sitting in the fermenter for at least 30 days before running (for brandy). If you're making hard cider, it should sit for about 6 months to reach its maturity.
for taste let it age if your eager fire up a second batch and drink some of the first.

PTS_35 what was your O.G.?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

S-Cackalacky wrote:The length of time isn't so much about how long it takes to ferment out. I have some in fermenters that have been finished for a week or more, but they will sit for another couple of weeks. Jimbo talks about what goes on with allowing the additional time after the ferment completes in other threads in the "Recipe Development" section of the forums. He has said that it is best to leave the wash sitting in the fermenter for at least 30 days before running (for brandy). If you're making hard cider, it should sit for about 6 months to reach its maturity.

If I can find a link to the discussion, I'll post it here.
Here's a link to the discussion - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7220815 . I think there was some more discussion further into the thread about leaving "hard cider" to mature for 6 months or so.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

thank you S-cack, i am reading
smokeskrene4207
Swill Maker

Post by smokeskrene4207 »

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I basically made this 3 weeks weeks minus the enzymes. And no nutes. I did add 2 lbs of light brown sugar so my SG would be 1.095. Its done and clearing. I plan on stillin it up but one of you said its a horrible brandy because of the sugar. I juiced all the apples. The were windblown a frost so they were bittersweet. Should I just bottle it or if I distill it would it be more like apple schnapps? I have my hopes of stilling it but hey whatever.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

frodo wrote:thank you S-cack, i am reading
Frodo, there's more on the subject further down in that same thread - about 3/4ths of the way down on page 3.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

frodo wrote:i thought 1.000 was water and .990 was less that water

you fuk'n with my head? :mrgreen: cause it aint hard to do :crazy:

you got MUCH reading to do, if you think 1.000 is water! I've been making Hard Ciders for nearly 15 years now, everything from complex, multi apple species, single species, cider with added malt, with brown sugar, with honey, from conncentrate, etc etc. You get the drift.

I find that Lavlin D47 or EC1118 are some of the best yeasts to use for a cider. D47 will make a more sour/tart cider, and if left on it's own will stop at total dryness at about .998 FG...a very DRY apple wine. I prefer to COLD CRASH at about 1.010 for a day..usually a perfect blend of tart and sweetness, without losing alot of apple flavor. 1116 is also another decent yeast. I know some even use Salfale S-04...this yeast is starting to become one of my all time favorites..as it imparts some very nice "fruity" notes to my ciders.

Here's about 20 different "varieties" being fermented:
Cider4.jpg
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Water has a gravity of 1.000. Ethanol has a gravity of 0.750 (some where wrong that number anyway.)
A mix can have anywhere between that. That's why higher proof distillate makes alc hydrometer drop. Sugar will increase gravity. That's why a beer hydrometer will rise with higher sugar content. When yeast converts the sugar to ethanol. 1, because the sugar is going, and 2, because alc is being formed. When a ferment reaches 1.000 there is still a little bit of unfermentable sugars present, usually in AG mashes or rum washes. When all the sugar has been consumed, the gravity will be that of the mixture of water and alc. Usually with sugar washes. Of course there are exceptions to both. But that's it in a nut shell