Help with a mead, melomel or wine?

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

twinturboz
Novice

Help with a mead, melomel or wine?

Post by twinturboz »

Good day everyone,
First of all, I'm not skilled in homebrewing or distilling at all. I've made a couple homebrew beers and wines, usually from kits or recipies.
So I'll start, I got my hands on a fruit mash (some apple, berries, peaches etc) he had in a plastic drum. I've added some fruit to It so to be honest it's a mix of who the heck knows. I mix it up on the odd day just to keep it moving around. So I've got lets say around 15-20lbs of fermented fruit in a barrel, I'm not sure what to do with this next, its been sitting for quite some time. Since I'm not looking for a super high quality homebrew, just something to drink that I can say I made myself...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, just looking for tips of how to go about taking this "mash" to the next level, whether it be a wine or mead/melomel.
Thanks in advance guys.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Help with a mead, melomel or wine?

Post by still_stirrin »

What's it taste like? Sour or sweet? Fruity or alcoholic?

You said it has fermented in the barrel, right? Did you pitch the yeast, or is it a wild yeast culture?

If you like the taste of it, you could simply keg it after clearing. Or you could bottle it with a bit of priming sugar.

If you want to distill it and you have never distilled before, I hope you read, read, read this site to understand more of this hobby.

Stay safe.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
twinturboz
Novice

Post by twinturboz »

Fermenting in a tub actually, covered so I don't get contaminates in, I've not added any yeast or water yet. I'm not sure what to do with the process yet, should I be taking it to a juice and then trying to pitch with yeast and ferment? I do not plan on distilling with fruit, yet.
I've got a ton of reading to do on the distilling processes. Still working on creating my other types of alcohols yet, I would like to some simple beers and meads first, work on getting distilling equipment in the meantime and then get into distilling.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

add some water and see how it tastes. id guess it be best to make wine with what you've got.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Do you have a hydrometer check the specific gravity of the mixture?
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers