hard cider priming help

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whistlewetter
Swill Maker

hard cider priming help

Post by whistlewetter »

Ok, I have two 1 gallon carboys of raw apple cider fermenting I used ec 118 yeast which I have since read Nottingham is preferred. They are still in the primary fermentation stage but when I get time I will be racking them to a secondary fermenter where I will let it sit for quite a while. I started with a 1.08 OG. Here is what I know about bottling time...
1) like all other steps in the process, I have to sterilize everything.
2) if I want to sweeten it I need to use Stevia, splenda or something similar to be sure fermentation doesn't build pressure in the bottles.
3) I need to prime each bottle with an amount of sugar to get some carbonization.
4) It should be left to age in the bottles for quite some time.

I am using 12oz amber beer bottles that I got from my local brew shop. Here is what you guys can help me with...
1) How much sugar per 12oz bottle should I use to prime.
2) If I like the sweetness of say, Angry Orchard, how much sweetener should I use per bottle?

Thank you.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hard cider priming help

Post by Expat »

I'm using 6.5g in each of my 750ml bottles, which would be 3.25g in your 355 (12 oz) bottles.

Sorry, haven't used sweeteners before so I can't say exactly what you should use. I would suggest simply mixing a single bottle to taste and the you'll have the amount to apply to the others.

Hope that helps.

Edit: disclosure, i'm using green glass bottles designed for pressure.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ive got 140l fermenting away slowly. im going to be kegging it. so ill be killing the yeast with camden and back sweetening with brown sugar as needed.

it’s hard to say how much sweetener to use, best tip would be to dissolve some in known concentration (100g to 100ml) and add 1ml/drop at a time to a known amount of cider 37/38ml or 1/100 of you total vol . once you hit your sweet spot :). note down the number and multiply by 100. add before bottling.

a handy guide for priming use brewersfreind it all come down to how many co2 volumes you want. American ales tend to be between 2.2 & 2.7 as a guide
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

WooTeck wrote:ive got 140l fermenting away slowly. im going to be kegging it. so ill be killing the yeast with camden and back sweetening with brown sugar as needed.

it’s hard to say how much sweetener to use, best tip would be to dissolve some in known concentration (100g to 100ml) and add 1ml/drop at a time to a known amount of cider 37/38ml or 1/100 of you total vol . once you hit your sweet spot :). note down the number and multiply by 100. add before bottling.

a handy guide for priming use brewersfreind it all come down to how many co2 volumes you want. American ales tend to be between 2.2 & 2.7 as a guide
Hi WooTeck - I didn't think Campden tablets alone were enough to kill the yeast... do you not need to use potassium sorbate?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I add 1/2 a tsp, usually made into simple syrup as that doesn't cause it to froth during bottling. The pump I use is 5ml and 5ml of simple syrup has the correct amount of sugar for a 12oz bottle.

Sweetness I control by bottling at the desired sweetness then refrigerating when primed. If you want to have it sweet, but not chilled, I don't have advice for that.

If I wasn't lazy, I would would make up a small fresh ferment of cider and sugar just before bottling, calculating how much sugar was needed for the total to be bottled, then, when the starter ferment has reached high krausen, put the krausen in a bucket and pour/syphon the cider onto the krausen. then bottle. The actively multiplying yeast should use up any excess oxygen, which should avoid vinegar development.

if you can be bothered, store the bottles inverted and riddle them until all of the sediment is against the cork, then disgorge.

The silver fish have eaten the label off my 30 year old packet of Campden Tablets.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Mikey-moo wrote:
WooTeck wrote:ive got 140l fermenting away slowly. im going to be kegging it. so ill be killing the yeast with camden and back sweetening with brown sugar as needed.

Hi WooTeck - I didn't think Campden tablets alone were enough to kill the yeast... do you not need to use potassium sorbate?
yep your right :oops: . i was under the impression that it killed em as it was used to stop wild yeast but seems it just slows them for a while. plan was to cold crash them yeasties out and camden. guess ill have to come up with another method.
whistlewetter
Swill Maker

Post by whistlewetter »

I went to my local brew shop and he recommended some conditioning tablets. They are little cubes of sugar with a chart of how many you need to use per 12oz bottle depending on your desired carbonation level. He also recommended using xylitol to sweeten. I should be bottling late next week when I have some days off. Thanks for the brewers chart too!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Personally I would just add disloved sugar rather than the cubes. But cost is a factor for me.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

i
Killing the yeast with camden tablets? That is sulfite: guaranteed to give you a headache.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Kareltje wrote:
i
Killing the yeast with camden tablets? That is sulfite: guaranteed to give you a headache.
i will bare that in mind. this & my mead are my first attempts at non grain ferments. needing to get used to not being able to plan for unfermentable sugars.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i use a can of concentrated apple juice.gives lots of flavor and carbonates at the same time
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
whistlewetter
Swill Maker

Post by whistlewetter »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:i use a can of concentrated apple juice.gives lots of flavor and carbonates at the same time
How much do you use?
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i put one can per gallon.rack it off to make sure its clear.then add it to the cider and bottle it.within a
few days it should be fermented and carbonated. but give it time.sometimes it can take a few weeks. :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

my cider is done ended up with 7 kegs full.
s.g. 1.040
f.g 1.003

its supper tart/sour. lots of tasty apple just hard to drink due to the acid content. over all pretty happy with it
whistlewetter
Swill Maker

Post by whistlewetter »

glad you are enjoying yours! I started wit 1.08 and it fermented to 1.00. It was dry and still tasted of apple at the time of bottling. I backed sweetened a tad with stevia and added some carbonation tablets. I will be trying my at the end of the month. Next time I am going to use a totally different process in hopes of not having to back sweeten.