Splitting Mead

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SelbySC
Novice

Splitting Mead

Post by SelbySC »

So I am planning on starting a 6 gallon batch of mead. However, I want to try a couple different fruit melomels from this mead base. My thought is to rack the 6 gallons to three carboys after primary and add my fruit to two of them during secondary. So I would end up with two gallons of mead and (2) two gallons of melomel. Seems like it should be straight forward. Has anyone done something similar and are there any problems in splitting the batch up that I may not be anticipating?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Splitting Mead

Post by still_stirrin »

When making mead, melomel, or metheglin, I put the fruit (juice) or spices into the must. So I ferment the flavored must. You could macerate after fermentation too. But I don't do it that way.

I'm curious of the brix (sugar content) in your 6 gallon ferment. If not too high, you could "feed" the ferment more honey with the fruit when you divide the batch. It will add the flavor plus boost the alcohol content at the same time.

One thing to remember, is mead takes time to ferment and then to condition. Don't get into a hurry. When you make mead, its a wine, and needs time for the flavors to balance and mature. It'll be worth the wait.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
SelbySC
Novice

Post by SelbySC »

still_stirrin wrote:I'm curious of the brix (sugar content) in your 6 gallon ferment. If not too high, you could "feed" the ferment more honey with the fruit when you divide the batch. It will add the flavor plus boost the alcohol content at the same time.
Yes, this was the thought. I know im going to feed the ferment with the fruit addition in secondary so my thought was to decrease the honey by the estimated sugar increase in the primary. I anticipate the two fruit batches will need some extra time. I'm in no rush I just don't want to over complicate or over think the process.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Split it at the start, then don't mess with it until bottling day. I don't like oxygenating my mead, or exposing it to contamination, once it is started.

I siphon the clear straight into the bottles they will age in.

The dregs, a large percentage of the ferment, gets filtered, then has high proof whiskey added to 18%-20% to prevent further activity. These are then used to make Glayva style liqueurs, much to the delight of the village.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

NZChris wrote:The dregs, a large percentage of the ferment, gets filtered, then has high proof whiskey added to 18%-20% to prevent further activity. These are then used to make Glayva style liqueurs, much to the delight of the village.
Great idea!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Sublime, Probably way too late, but I've done what you describe. I made 15 gallons of sweet mead (9.16 lbs honey / 5 gallons, pitched on Lalvin 71D), fermented it to ~14% at which point the yeast didn't appear to be doing much. Moved it all to a 15 gallon used bourbon barrel for 4.5 months. Then bottled 5 gallons, and put the other two 5 gallon batches on different fresh fruit I picket/bought this past summer; a peach mead and a raspberry mead. All three are great already, and will certaintly improve with age. The fruit flavor is very strong. That said, I plan to do as NZChris said in my next batches. The fruit in the primary gets attacked by the yeast and affects the flavors. You'll get less of the original fruit coming through (pound for pound) and it'll be a more complex, more "cooked" type of flavor. Most experienced home brewers and professionals advocate this way of doing it.

Let us know how yours turned out.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hell, I guess I'm late as well :oops:

Anyway, I've done a bunch of meads during the last 6 months and have found adding fruit to the primary and again after racking to carry loads of flavors to the finished mead (melomel)

There is significant loss due to the fruit but well worth the end result imo.

71B Is a beast of a yeast and can handle high gravity musts along with nutrients at the 1/3 & 2/3 sugar breaks, degassing everyday for the first week is also needed to release the c02 and keep the yeasties in suspension. I thought that was crazy talk until I had a ferment take wayyy too long and done some research but hey I learned something! Now I can have a 1.120 must ferment to 1.010 in 10-14 days.

I've tried to add fruit to the secondary to find it tastes more like a cheap wine young and will need loads of time to mingle and settle down as to the fruit in both primary and secondary which has a rich bold fruit flavor. Better I think and so does the fella at my lhbs who also is a mead maker.

Fermaid o is a good yeast nutrient and is organic and that's what I use and some makers use DAP, I found that DAP can leave an aftertaste in the meads if not properly measured out but is still another option some live by, just my experience is all.

Post and let us know what and how it's doing and going.

You no longer need to wait years for a mead to be good or great, nutrient additions, degassing and good ingredients can make a mead in 6 months!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just seen the post on my mead thread, you have a firm grasp and seems like we can help each other and others.

Seems to be this big misconception of aging meads and that's simply no longer the case.

I've not done very large batches, 5 gallons is my max but I have the 12,15 and 20 gal fermenters to do them just not the space during the very cold months.

I have 60 lbs each blueberry blossom and orange blossom to go for the larger ones, just have to wait for some fair weather.

Glad to see another mead maker with us :thumbup: