Mash mixer?

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lawfish
Bootlegger

Mash mixer?

Post by Lawfish »

Having learned all-grain mashing using the pintoshine method, I find the procedure recommend for mashing all-grain beer to be cumbersome. Has anyone ever used an agitator to keep the grain moving and at a precise temperature? I know there are issues with shear and air introduction, but I tried a wheat beer last week using that method and I got very good conversion. Problem is lautering out all the fine particulate matter from the wheat. I fermented on that stuff and it settled out, but my overall beer volume was down by a gallon or so. Seems like an all-barley mash would be more susceptible to using the overhead mixer on a very slow setting.

When I do corn for whiskey, I ferment on the grain and then filter out the grain before distilling, using a 5-gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom (3/16" if I remember correctly) and a 3/8" drill with a paint mixer to force the liquid out the bottom. I'm thinking of doing an initial 1-hour mash with about 2 quarts of water per pound of grain, then lautering using my bucket, then running what I get from that back through the bucket with a paint strainer on the inside to catch any fine grains before boiling the wort.

Anyone have any input or experience on this? From what I've read, using a mash mixer can increase yield from the usual 75% to above 90% of theoretical yield.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Mash mixer?

Post by still_stirrin »

I lauter my mashes. Before starting the runoff to the kettle, I recirculate the wort through the mash tun to establish a good (grain) filter bed. This also helps to mash out as I usually raise the temperature to 165*F during this recirculation. Once I start runoff and the liquid level above the grainbed reduces, then I start dripping the sparge water over the grainbed. Of note, a slow runoff will increase efficiency, although I would be quite happy with 78-80%.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Thanks, still_stirrin. My reading on other websites tends to corroborate what you're saying. I'm getting poor conversion in my mashes I think primarily due to several factors/mistakes:

I placed all the grist in the mash tun before adding water. From now on, I will do a little grist, then a little water, lather, rinse repeat until full.

After initially stirring the mash to get the air out, I didn't stir again during the entire saccharification rest.

I didn't recirculate. I drained my first wort straight into the boiling pot, then did two batch sparges with water at around 180, but left the valve open, so the wort ran straight into the boiling pot. Slow runoff will be my new MO.
Lawfish

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I have found a significant increase in efficiency by buying a better 3-roller grain mill. My old mill dated back to the early 90's, a 'Valley Mill'. It had developed a lot of play in the housing and eventually the rollers just wouldn't roll.... Bought a new one and my mash efficiency jumped to almost 90%. That's using a batch sparge protocol, just a single rinse of the grain with hot water after draining the mash. Very easy and fast.

As for adding water and grain, some people will adamantly demand it be done in one order or another. I haven't found that to be important. What IS important is that you stir it well after that, so that everything has good exposure to the hot water.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Here's a link to a thread that has some info relating to mash mixers. My set-up is about halfway down the thread. I use one of these BN Products mixers and stands, and there's also other pics of it in the thread below as well. I'm getting too old for hand mixing that stiff AG crap.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p7351588

http://www.bnproducts.com/tools/bnr6400-power-mixer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.bnproducts.com/tools/bnmg-6100-mixing-stand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Nice set-up, Euphoria.

I tried my set-up out over the weekend. Took 9 lbs. of American 2-row and 1 lb. of crystal 10 (American pale ale). Put 3 gallons of water in the BOP, then heated it to about 150 and started the mixer and then slowly added the grist. Once it was all in, I watched the temp carefully until it hit 152. At that point, I dumped it into my lauter tun (5-gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom inside another 5-gallon bucket with a torpedo screen) and put that in my deep sink and filled with hot water from the tap. After an hour, I vorlaufed a gallon or so, then started the sparge with 180 degree water. Ended up with around 6 gallons at 1.052. After boiling, the SG was 1.058, so efficiency was 78.8%, which I'm pleased as punch with.

I will now be brewing all-grain exclusively.
Lawfish

Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Sounds like your AG mixing set-up is working out well for you. Here's to a good batch!
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan