Raw Rice Wine Chicha style using Salivia for amylse...

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Koanmi
Novice

Raw Rice Wine Chicha style using Salivia for amylse...

Post by Koanmi »

Can't I just cheat a little and use some powerd amalyse?

I have corn that malted in the basement. The roots are only an inch long. But still only a HINT of sweetness.

I read that corn has less converting power than barley and must be malted longer. Its already been a week, I have good sprouts. But I think they need to be two inches long. There about an inch and a half long, also some kernals didn't really sprout much I'd say as much as 20%
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Raw Rice Wine Chicha style using Salivia for amylse...

Post by aircarbonarc »

We now have the convinence of technology, we've harnessed the power of Amylase. So who needs to chew and malt all day.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Koanmi wrote: I have corn that malted in the basement. The roots are only an inch long. But still only a HINT of sweetness.
Malt ain't that sweet. Sugar is. To get sugar from malt you need to mash it.
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

Just had breakfast...the brown rice I chewed up yesterday....

I milled some brown rice, completely raw....

I then chewed it up. It smelled like a good gruel, but tasted like cardboard. And very very hard bits that didn't get pulverized.

Its been siting for 23 hours so now I tasted it. The juice above was not that sweet...but something curious happened when I tasted the rice. It was more gelatenized and it had a good delicious taste.... it actually taste good!

Something is different. Sweetness....it has some sweetness now.

The legend of the saliva amylase.

As a control I had the other half of milled brown rice sitting in water. Tasted it and it was still cardboard. Also, very very gritty. The water didn't absorb. It was not pleasant to eat.

I tasted the chewed up rice again....it tastes good! Yum....

This was actually my breakfast.

Only issue I can still taste some starch. I was not able to chew up all the rice because its SO HARD.

Its not gelentized. Rice is ROCK HARD.

Anyone know how I can get it to absorb water like malt does or like cooked rice does?

I guess I could cook it at 117 degrees.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

save yourself a load of hassle and buy some enzymes.
I can't imagine chewing 20kg of rice.

The rice absorbs hot water, the enzymes help with it.

I dumped boiling water at a ratio of 1kg of rice per 4l of water, added high temp enzymes at teh right temps, added bakers once it was cooled down, worked a treat, a nice potstilled vodka
Don't be a dick
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Some restaurants pre-soak raw rice to soften it so that it cooks quicker when required. Have you tried pre-soaking it?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

Mikey-moo wrote:Some restaurants pre-soak raw rice to soften it so that it cooks quicker when required. Have you tried pre-soaking it?

Yea but it still won't get the right texture of cooked rice....
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Koanmi wrote:
Mikey-moo wrote:Some restaurants pre-soak raw rice to soften it so that it cooks quicker when required. Have you tried pre-soaking it?

Neither will chewing it. Rice will "cook" if it left in room temperature water, you haven't tried using koji?
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

aircarbonarc wrote:
Koanmi wrote:

Neither will chewing it. Rice will "cook" if it left in room temperature water, you haven't tried using koji?

No not yet, currently using corn that is malting in the basement. The rice was just an experiment.

The corn absorbs moisture and becomes edible if left in water. But doesn't 'cook'. Just absorbs a ton of water.

So I suppose its the same with rice?
Koanmi
Novice

Post by Koanmi »

aircarbonarc wrote:
Koanmi wrote:

I guess I could try holding it in 117 degree water for some time?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Be careful.
Rice has its very own poison. Don't know details but I think it develops when cooked rice is held too long, not cold enough....
Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

This dumb shit has been discussed here before, unless ya got a hundred odd ppl to help ya it not a feasible option and then really ya got to ask yourself would you actually drink it. Get some malt or enzymes eh
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... a#p6999874
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
homebrewer007
Novice

Post by homebrewer007 »

Sam from Dogfish Head did this exact recipe in the traditional style, and had the entire office chewing grains for about two weeks. It was pretty entertaining to follow. In reality, unless you are trying to re-create the style simply for historic purposes there is no reason to do this in a first world country. We have access to phenomenal ingredients to include many varieties of malted barley and corn. I like being spoiled and taking advantage of the good quality grains that are ready to mash and not have to spend two weeks chewing grains and spitting it into a bucket, but that is just me.

Your local homebrew shop will have all the grains you need already converted and ready for your mashtun.