3 gal. Kolsch, starter yes or no

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

3 gal. Kolsch, starter yes or no

Post by Full_moon »

Should I make a starter on a 3 gal. Kolsch, using WLPo29 White labs yeast. or does it really matter if a little overpitched or would it be.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 3 gal. Kolsch, starter yes or no

Post by Full_moon »

OK nobody wants to give some advice, so I made the starter. may be a little overkill, I don't know.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't know about the rest of them, but I didn't have a clue what the question was about.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I didn't get the question either, but yeast starters are always a good idea. Not sure I'd go to the trouble on a 3 gal. Ferment though.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I think (guessing) he has a pack of Wyeast or White Lab liquid yeast rated at a 5 gallon pitch and was wondering if he needed a starter for 3 gallons.

I've used WLP0029 for a Kolsch several times with good results, on 5.5 gallon batches, with a starter. Since a Kolsch should be fermented fairly cool, a starter is a good plan, regardless of size, to encourage the yeast activity to be peaked when you pitch. I pretty much always make a starter. Over pitching a little will have minimal impact on the final product, and you are shooting for a very clean fermentation, so he chose the right path, in my opinion.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

Apologize for the confusion. Anyway my local brew shop was out of the yeast I wanted so I substituted WLP810 San Fran. lager yeast. Just started the boil in my Grainfather so will pitch the wlp810 soon. We will see what I get to drink. I bet its beer.