Mead

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Mead

Post by jb-texshine »

Somebody did carbonate some. Mch maybe...or Jimbo,anyway...
Whoever it was kegged it and then carbonated if I remember right.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's the whole reason behind champagne bottles :thumbup:
I'm reading up on it today and it seems like a safe way expecially with the wire tops. I'm investing enough already according to my wife who's about tapped out with this. lol

I'll grab a 6 pack of 750ml bottles and go from there, I still have 10 gallons as of now to bottle but only a few will be carbd.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I got the temp dialed in at 64°f in that closet and the D47 is rolling harder than I've seen a mead ferment go. The ec1118 is going but at a much slower pace so that one may have to be moved to another location for now, maybe upstairs where it's much warmer-probably low 70s

Man I need a heated and cooled garage
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Google"blichmann quick carb" and " torpedo keg"

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

very interesting jb
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Not cheap but definitely interesting.

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have a blichmann hell fire propane burner that boils 20 gal of water ( may-Sept ) in less than 30 minutes, only 150 but worth it for making heatup faster, boiling water for mashing. So I know nothing with that name I've seen is cheap. lol

Maybe one day!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’ve got several meads in the cellar and love it through the still. I did a dragon blood cyser mead that I ended up stilling (rasberry, blueberry, blackberry, cider, apples, honey) and the spirit is awesome but almost gone. Just started a cyser braggot mead to still. Almost 20 gallons. Pretty excited about that one. Used K1V1116 on one FV and D47 on the other. Both good for meads. You need to be careful with good nute protocol w/D47 to prevent H2S (hydrogen sulfide aka: rotton eggs). For the braggot I used muntons 2row, 30# fresh apples, 13gallon kroger apple juice, one gallon wildflower honey, and 6-7gal water to top up to 1.070. Mashed the 2row with apple juice. Had a 10gal HBB wort finish up as this one was starting so threw in spent HBB grains and fermented the mead all on grain and let it sit and macerate for a bit too. Squeezed the viking piss outta the grains and it’s clearing in glass now. Will rack of sediment and check stats this weekend but close to running time. Some folks treat that stuff like a beer and do a boil and add hops. Not this run for me. I was finishing up that hbb and was getting all excited about a gumballhead on spent grains. Enroute to LHBS i convinced myself to do this mead instead and the guys in there are like wtf are you making? Ya know it’s good to buy some hops from those guys every once in anwhile with all the grain. Think of it as sacraficial. Throw it in the fire do a little dance and raise your glass towards the gods. Vallhalla I am coming !

-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have one I just pulled the med toasted oak and it's nice, also a gal of blueberry blossom and 5 gal of traditional with vanilla and clove.
The raspberry melomel has turned out Fantastic, I kinda wish I had made some sparkling though.

I have 120 lbs of bulk honey and probably 20 lbs different kinds, buckwheat, tupalo, killer bee, wildflower, clover, basswood, shoot man I'll have many many months of mead making and still need to do a 15 gal batch of something to still, possibly a raspberry melomel to run and see how the flavors carry over then use the backset for a corn mash.

Man I'll be a busy man for years to come :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I found a sachet of D47 in my console so I went ahead and made a 1 gal batch of the tupalo, unfortunately that's all I had was 3 lbs that was a gift from my cousin in texas. Don't know where she got it from but man I'll tell you that's by far the best tasting honey I've ever tasted, it's almost a shame to ferment that stuff it's so good.

3 lbs tupalo honey
1.5 tsp fermaid o
D47 yeast
OG 1.120

I'll let this go for 2 weeks and rack, I saved 1 pint in the fridge of the must and will return it during the racking.

Bonus of the day, I looked in a closet I normally don't go into and found 2 gallons of perfectly cleared mead I totally forgot about. I racked it 3 months ago and put in there and it's pretty good now, the fg on it is 1.010 and has just a slight bit of sweet. Mmmmm, just right too!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

ShineOn, you are making me thirsty. All I ended up with in my basement today was a river from a burst pipe. Had to hide the still and call a plumber. I did uncover a case of old mead while removing wet stuff, but I think it's one that isn't worth drinking. Still debating on distilling it. I think I'm a couple of hours west of you (along I-81) and we got some nasty cold night before last.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Had to hide the still and call a plumber.
Ha Ha! I did that a couple times recently too. If I break it down enough and have my wine and mead carboys bulk ageing I just say yeah making some beer Mmmmmm! I was mashing in the other day with the plumbers working on the hot water heater and the plumber that had just been out forgot to test that power was off to the heater before he drained it and the heater coil ended up burning up without water in there... They were back to fix it and we all enjoyed the lovely smell of cider, grain, and honey. We didn't even talk about likker.
ShineOn, you are making me thirsty.
Me too and you've got me breaking into the mead - I raise glass full of nectar of the gods in your name (well definitely more than one glass so we'll just say glasses) !

Cheers and thanks!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

One of the plumbers was a nice kid interested in my homebrew gear. I gave him a Blanton's top; he was missing an "S".
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm very familiar with 81, did a bunch of work around VT for 2 years. Looks like a Charlottesville meeting may have to happen one day :thumbup:

My water pipes were fine but a rental we have had the lines freeze, thankfully none burst but whew man its been cold.

I went and done it... broke into the blueberry blossom 5 gal pail and stole 8 lbs. Made a melomel with fresh frozen blueberry (4lbs) and to top it off I'm going to add 4 lbs of raspberries at the racking around 1.020

OG 1.120 and ec1118 yeast, I know 1118 will make it dry if I let it so I need to take extra care to stop it when I need to. I kept a quart of must to backsweeten if needed plus I have the stuff to holt any further fermentation.

OG may be off a point or 2 as I didn't calculate the temp but it's going to be a nice semi sweet mead, now I just have to wait 5-7 months before knowing.

I love this stuff but I miss running the still too!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just finished racking off a 1 gal batch of raspberry melomel and a 1 gal of blueberry blossom traditional, the D47 is a beast when it comes to flocculation. It packed down to a 1/2" cake on the bottom and held pretty good during the process.

I'm still waiting on the 3 gal blueberry melomel to finish up and I'll rack at 1.020 and add another 3 lbs of blueberry, not quite there yet so maybe another week, I was going to use raspberry but the little one wanted raspberry ice cream so that's that! lol

For anyone wanting to try their hand at mead I'd say go for it, it's simple (not easy) but it's very rewarding in the end.

I like these melomels, and semi sweet as I found that a sweet mead is a little too much for my likings but I won't turn down a glass either,

Anyone with a bulk buy super market can find honey cheap, D47 is a 1.09$, 1 gallon glass carboy is 5 bucks and water for the most part is free unless you have bad water so you'll have to spend another buck for a gallon. It's that simple... Don't forget the nutrients though, either boil some bread yeast and add at 1/3 and 2/3 sugar depletion and you'll have a drinkable mead in a few months.

A little research goes along way, if you want some more info, pm me and I'll lead you down the path I took and I can say it's been a fun, rewarding hobby to follow after.

Shine0n

Oh yeah, MCH, thanks for the book!!! it's been key in making me a better mead maker and the sake was fantastic!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I got the 3 gal blueberry melomel racked last night and cold crashed, I cheked it this am and I need to rack again so when I go to my barn I'll just rack it along with the other 3 needing racked.
Damn thats the most times I've ever said racked in one fn sentence. lol

Anyway, I have enough mead now to last me the year and I might slow down a bit although I'll still make some 1 gal batches playing around with flavors.

This stuff is too fun and also very expensive so that's one of the reasons I'm slowing but not all the way.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Shine0n wrote:MCH, thanks for the book!!! it's been key in making me a better mead maker and the sake was fantastic!
Figured you could get more use outta the book than anyone else. :thumbup:

I hesitate to call that rice creation "sake" out of respect for folks who really make sake.
It was sort of a rice wine made in a fashion similar to how I make mead.
I mashed the rice and then boiled some of it down to a syrup. That allowed me to start the fermentation at a lower SG, and then step-feed it as it went along.
I would guess that it wound up around 12% - 14% abv, but that's just a guess.

Your adventure makes me want to get another mead going, something with spices this time.
And someday I'm gonna make it out west for some tunas to make a bucket list Prickly Pear mead.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Mch, maybe I can help you out this summer or early fall. They're (tunas) free for the picking here. 15 or so pounds do ya?

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That sounds good jb, mch!

I actually know a spot here that has a patch of them, it's around 20'lg×40'w. It's at the local seafood distribution place and I know the owner so maybe or maybe not. We'll see.

Spices are on my list as well, also some malts, good lord man I ain't finished, lol I just need to get some carboys emptied.

This nice weather we've been having I should've gotten my box built for a rum ferment or a bourbon but family and friends coming over to see the baby took all that time, oh well.
It's not going no where and I still have some stuff to sip but running dangerously low!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

jb-texshine wrote:Mch, maybe I can help you out this summer or early fall. They're (tunas) free for the picking here. 15 or so pounds do ya?
That sounds about perfect, jb, I'll make a note on my calendar to head your way sometime later this year.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey gang, nice to find this mead thread. I've been making them for the past 3.5 years.

Started by reading Ken Schramm's 'The Complete Meadmaker'. It's a very good book if you're into meads, and widely respected as one of the best available throughout the US. There has been some evolution in mead making even since this book though. I suggest checking out the following two links on step feeding of nutrients. [https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... erMead.pdf] [http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... _Panel.pdf] Keep the yeast happy to produce the best esters is important for meads. And through I have yet to try this step feeding of nutrients, the literature on it says that it leads to good drinkable meads in the 3-4 month timeframe.

I'm in Michigan, and got to meet Ken Schramm this past summer. He says he bottles and sells his meads after 3 months generally, 4 months on occasion if the mead is slow to clear.

My first mead I tried to make a medium show (semi-sweet). It fermented completely dry. I left it on the lees about 6 months if I recall. It was undrinkable. Undrinkable after 1 yr, after 2 yrs, but at year 3 magic had happened and it's not a nice dry mead.

Since then I've had steadily better luck. Made an apple cherry cyser (dry), a metheglin cyser (sweet), a bluberry melomel (dry), and a concord grape pyment (dry). For my last batch I made 15 gallons of sweet mead, aged it 4.5 months in a bourbon barrel, then bottled 5 gallons, put 5 gallons on farmers market peaches, and 5 gallons on raspberries I picked this fall.

I'm personally a fan of the sweet meads, and most of my family enjoys them as well.

As others have said, it's preferable to use a good quality honey. All the literature and all the experienced mead makers I know advocate that. I haven't tried too many varieties yet, so I don't speak from experience on this one. But I am starting to step up my game in the honey department.

I've always used yeast nutrient and energizer, and will be adopting the step nutrients described in the links above in my subsequent pitches. I've used a few types of yeast: Lalvin D-47 Cotes du Rhone, Lalvin EC-1118 Sparking Wine, Redstar Cote des Blancs Epernay, Lalvin K1 V1116, and Lalvin 71B-1122. I plan to stick with the 71B for most future ferments. It has a great reputation for producing many nice fruity esters and has a very high alcohol tolerance... I think stated as 14%, but as the yeasts bud and grow, they tend to develop a stronger alcohol tolerance and I've heard of this one fermenting up to 17%. Most of the mead makers I talk to shy away from the EC-1118 (Champaigne yeast), as it tents to strip out many of the flavors.

I've put the fruit in the primary, in the secondary, and in a tertiary. The later you add the fruit, the stronger the flavor that comes through, but the less complex it is. Again, most of the good mead makers I know prefer to add the fruit in the primary, and LOTS of it. We're talking as many pounds of fruit as pounds of honey. And in some cases, they're adding 3x the weight in fruit, of different dark berries. Those meads are wicked expensive to make, but phenomenal tasting. Use the freshest, most fragrant fruit you can get, a farmer's market or U-pick are good options. Looks don't matter, so you're probably better off skipping most grocery stores in the US where we seem to value size and looks over taste and quality. :(

I have a whole assortment of different meads I want to make, adventuring out into things I've not seen done yet. As I develop them, I'll try to get back here to share how they're working.

Generally, heating the honey very little is advised. Honey is amazingly good at resisting bacteria on it's own, so you don't need to cook it to kill things off, just get it warm enough to flow and mix with your water/must.

Another fun trick for you to try are what's called a bouchet: cooked honey. You slowly heat the honey up to a candy temperature and pull off a small spoon full at a time to let it cool so you can taste the caramel taste and see the color 'till it gets to your liking. This fall I made an ice cider/bouchet cyser mix. I have yet to taste it, but I'm very hopefull that it'll be outstanding... better be, as I made 10 gallons of it... took 36 gallons of cider to get the 9 gallons of concentrated must and then 1 gallon of the bouchet/water.

Regarding clarifying additives, you really shouldn't need them. Just be patient. I've never added any such things to my meads and they always clear. Albeit, it has taken several months for some of them to clear properly.

For in bottle fermentation, you'll want to ferment your mead completely dry, and then add a controlled amount of priming sugar so you develop a controlled amount of bubbles (and pressure, least you make bottle bombs). I do a lot with ciders too, and have some good data on the amount of priming sugars to add from Claude Jolicoeur's 'The New Cider Maker's Handbook' (another that I highly recommend if apples are your thing). He recommends 2g/L for a slightly effervescent beverage, 6g/L for a crackling beverage (the max you'll want to put in a beer bottle), and up to 12g/L for Champaigne level of bubbles... for which you better be using a proper Champaigne bottle with wire ties over the cork.

I have yet to distill any mead. I'm in the process of a drawn out still build (see 4th Triangle Flute build) so haven't had a rig to run for a while. I've tried a commercial honey spirit. It was OK. Good to see that some of you have had good success with distilling meads already. I'm sure I'll get to that eventually.

Images below... I've got 180 lbs of honey I recently picked up, 60 lbs each of orange blossom, mesquite, and buckwheat. Lot's to do. I haven't used any of these varieties yet (actually all my meads to date have been local "wildflower" honeys). EVERYONE seems to love orange blossom, don't think you could go wrong here. I hear decent things about mesquite. Buckwheat is an outlayer... lots of people say not to use it, but I like the strong taste and color, and am thinking paired with the right things (methoglins & braggots) it will be nice.

The other image is of the meads I've made to date. I like whipping up the fun labels as well. I think there's a lot in the presentation of these things (like drinking wine from a wine glass vs a Coke bottle).

Good luck with your mead exploration, it's a lot of fun.
Attachments
Orange Blossom, Mesquite, & Buckwheat Honey
Orange Blossom, Mesquite, & Buckwheat Honey
Meads to Date
Meads to Date
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Nice post, I do have Kens book (thanks MCH) and have read through it. As you've said, there has been long strides since then for shorter time meads.

The links you posted dont work but I'll write them down and have a looksee, I've only been doing meads since Aug 2017 but have had great success to date. Some dry, sweet, semi sweet, I've not tried to carb yet but it's definitely coming.

I have big plans for my meads and will go round for round when time permits, This Sunday I started a 1 gal batch of some Dakota clover for a traditional semi sweet with 3 lbs in the gal, I did However forget my nutes (out of town) so I boiled a packet of yeast to kill and add so that should buy me until I return home tonight for the second round of fermaid o.

Thanks again and keep posting, I'll be watching and making mead! :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Last sunday, started another 1 gallon batch of traditional :thumbup:

3 lbs tupalo honey
1 pack D47 rehydraded in 50/50 water/must
OG 1.110

Last night did the nutes addition at 1.072 Fermaid o 3/4 tsp
Been degassing everyday for a week and now to let finish fermenting hopefully by weeks end.
Also been keeping it at slightly higher temps 73f for pushing out some esters. as I've been reading this temp will push out more fruity esters with the D47 but not so high of a temp to have a bad outcome. We'll see in a few months.
I also plan to use a tsp of citric acid for balance at bottling time as this will be a semi sweet stopped at 1.01 and stabilized at that time.

Today I plan on a session mead with 1.25 lbs in this gallon along with 1 lb strawberry in primary and one in secondary just for a nice hint of flavor, not looking for a flavor bomb just a nice subtle hint of the berries along with a low abv of 1.050 ish.

Just trying new things and will post progress and outcomes in due time.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Sounds good Shiner... you're making quick work of this. I progress a bit more slowly. Need to bottle some 12 gallons of ice cider before I start another batch of mead. That said, my wife has really latched onto the peach mead and the raspberry mead. We'll see how many of those bottles get to age a year.

The good news for me is that I generally work in increments of 5 gallon batches. You have a lot of patience to work on the smaller batches (although if you make a lemon, you have less of it to deal with).
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's exactly why I'm doing the smaller batches until I find "THE ONE"

I have 5 gal of raspberry melomel
7 gal traditional
3 sweet
2 dry
3 gal blueberry melomel

I have plenty of stuff and I keep detailed records of the processes, honey type, yeast, temp, length of primary and secondary etc etc

When I find the one I like I'll make larger batches like the peach and apricot I seen on homebrew, just sounds good and I plan on a 5 gal batch soon.

Just having fun :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

No quality to the peaches or apricot so it's on hold for now, I did happen to make a 1 gallon cyser with an OG of 1.092. I want this one to finish semi dry at like 1.010 then stabilize at that point, let clear and bottle to bring to S3-18.
I'm sure I'll have plenty for the party that wekend :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well, I found the one! Lol Its the raspberry melomel I made in Aug of 2016! Holy shit this is good :thumbup:

I've drank only 3-4 Oz cups and man do I have a buzz from hell, this melomel is tight, sweet, balanced, just the right amount of abv, sweet, tart, the whole works.

I'm saving the rest for S3-18 and one specific bottle for MCH. I loved the rice wine... fukn awesome!

For those who don't know and skipped to the bottom of the thread...

3 lbs per gal
1.5 lbs per gal of raspberries

I did nutrients addition in 3rds, 1/3 up front and down from there. I used fermaid o and nothing else.
So if you have a ferment at 1.135... you should do additional nutes at 1.070 and 1.035.

One thing I've read and now follow is that every 2 days no matter what the abv, for 6 days is to add the nutrients every two days and aerate daily for 10 days.
This has given me a great melomel in less than 6 months and the most flavors overall.
I do however add 1/2 the fruit in the primary and half the 2ndary. This has been a great recipe and I'm sippin on a pour now and can vouche for the potency as I'm buzzed up right good and the flavor Is unbelievable.

I used in this recipe D47 yeast and kept in the range if 56°f, I will have to in this experiment say that this yest is great for the temp range and the style of melomel I chose :thumbup:

I can't believe how fukn buzzed I am on this amount of wine. It's a good recipe, fool proof and down right great!

I'll get some serious feedback once at S3-18 as I'll bring at least 2-1/5th bottles with me and I'm sure I'll get some real results from some folks besides myself with an extreme and extensive pallet for this stuff unless I get them shitty before hand. lol
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Just got back into Beekeeping. Use to do it in my teenage years. My father bought my first package of bees from Sears and Roebuck from there farm catalog. Comes spring I will have a total of 40 hives going. Will try my luck making some mead.
Attachments
20170715_113539 (450 x 600).jpg
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Man, I wish I could!

I have 1 acre at my live in house, 7 acres at my rental but corn and soy fields on either side so the farmers would get lit up. lol

We're looking for some property out in the woods, 25 acres or so and will get hives if found in Middlesex Co. But for now I'll have to buy it and I do have good sources as long as I get enough to justify shipping. It's just so expensive to buy by the lb locally.

Good luck with the hives! Let us know the yields in due time.
I'll take a few lbs if willing to ship or meet up :thumbup:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Shine0n wrote:Well, I found the one!
Happy to hear of your success! I know you’ve put much time and thought into your mead adventure, nice to have it pay off, eh?

I’ve got to get around to trying something with ginger, and then there might be a prickly pear recipe on the horizon as well.

CarryOn ShineOn, your quest is inspiring.