pear wine???

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

pear wine???

Post by bigbuck »

so the pear tree in my back yard finally produced a ton of pears this year, has anyone ever made pear wine? hate for all that beautiful fruit to go to waste they are starting to fall on the ground now, so I guess I am looking for some help with a simple way to make pear wine if anyone knows
thanks all
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: pear wine???

Post by Shine0n »

a low abv wine would be to shred them and press to extract the juice and use a decent wine yeast, no bread yeast!!!
Sorry, a bit busy but I'll try and get more in depth shortly,
Shine0n
Last edited by Shine0n on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

looking forward to it shine on thanks
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

There are a few wines using pears in this forum I'm sure, go to the top right of the page and use this search.

I found recipes on YouTube video and they just crushed and pressed and let the wild yeast do its thing, it was called peary, or something like that.

I too have a large pear tree and plan to use it for something :D
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Technically, it's cider, not wine. I had a friend with a pear grove and she would give me laundry baskets full of pears, so I built a press and made cider out of them. Helps to freeze the fruits then thaw before pressing. I got a nice 5 gallon cider but I added honey for additional flavor/alcohol. If you want it sparkling, you've got to back-sweeten with Splenda or your choice of non-caloric sweetener.

I had another friend give me a load of sand pears (Florida). Curiously, those hard pears made a much thicker and more flavorful cider than the standard green pears from my other friend. I made a batch for the guy but he never came back and got his half, so I'm going to distill it into brandy.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Even more technically it is perry, not cider which is made with apples.

Geoff
The Baker
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Baker, you beat me to it. lol

I'm picking the pears today, chopping and let sit for 48 hours before pressing, maybe :roll:
I'll ferment separate from the apples but more than likely will be a blend since I don't have enough variety in apples to make it special. soooo

To the OP, look for a wine yeast that imparts a fruity profile if wine is what you want, if distilled then I'd go with ec1118 as the cuts are easier to distinguish.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Copy and pasted from an old thread:

Pj depends on who you ask as to the answer to your questions. First off how much do you intend to make? By some recipes you have enough for a little over 3 gallons of wine and some like Jimbo have 26 lbs of apples for each 1/5 of brandy made (he uses all juice no sugar). So lets assume you are going to add water and sugar. For each gallon of fruit wine, typical recipes call for 6 lbs of fruit, 3 qts water, and 1-2 lbs sugar(1.5 is a good amt). Freezing sometimes helps soften the fruit. When making pear, I like to cut them up like potatoes for potatoe salad and boil them down. The pulp is easy to mash and remove and you have the pure juice with little waste. A five gallon bucket of pears,30 lbs, will result in about 1 gallon of pulp when squeezed down. A five gallon recipe requires 30 lbs fruit, 15 qts water, 7.5 lbs sugar.
Hope this helps.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

OK I've read through this thread and I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm a little confused about some statements
ga flatwoods wrote:A five gallon bucket of pears,30 lbs, will result in about 1 gallon of pulp when squeezed down.
30Lbs of pulp squeezed down? Does that mean whats left after pressing? So how much juice do you get? I usually get about 2 gallons of pear juice out of a 5 gallon bucket of pears and there is maybe a quart of pulp leftover after pressing. I know it depends on the pears and the riper the better but the pears I've done were almost completely juice.
Lawfish wrote: If you want it sparkling, you've got to back-sweeten with Splenda or your choice of non-caloric sweetener.
How are you getting it to sparkle using sweetener the yeast can't eat? Sparkling means it is carbonated so if you are priming with something the yeast can't eat it shouldn't work or are you talking about back sweetening in addition to priming?

Personally if you want pear wine go here
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request203.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
If you want perry that's a little different, the best place to find info on that is really the cider forums.
If you have enough it is well worth the effort of making a proper stand alone pear brandy.

My own method of doing pears is to pick them before they start falling because most types of European and American pears begin to rot from the inside well before they begin falling. They tend to do better to pick early then let finish ripening off the tree then freeze as they ripen until all are ripe, then thaw and process. The reason for this is that there is only 5 minutes in the life of a pear where it is actually perfect. Asian pears are different story, they stay on the tree until ripe and can be processed right away, like apples.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

30Lbs of pulp squeezed down? Does that mean whats left after pressing? So how much juice do you get? I usually get about 2 gallons of pear juice out of a 5 gallon bucket of pears and there is maybe a quart of pulp leftover after pressing. I know it depends on the pears and the riper the better but the pears I've done were almost completely juice.

Yes Cranky, pulp after mashing. Yes, maybe about two gallons of juice. The rest of a five gallon batch I use water. I used champagne yeast. Use priming sugar and bottle like beer if you want a good drink. Pears are being used for much champagne these days.
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ga flatwoods wrote:30Lbs of pulp squeezed down? Does that mean whats left after pressing? So how much juice do you get? I usually get about 2 gallons of pear juice out of a 5 gallon bucket of pears and there is maybe a quart of pulp leftover after pressing. I know it depends on the pears and the riper the better but the pears I've done were almost completely juice.

Yes Cranky, pulp after mashing. Yes, maybe about two gallons of juice. The rest of a five gallon batch I use water. I used champagne yeast. Use priming sugar and bottle like beer if you want a good drink. Pears are being used for much champagne these days.
Ga Flatwoods
OK now I follow what you are saying :D
I've done perry out of straight pear juice and primed with just sugar with good results, never watered it down. I wouldn't recommend doing this with Asian pears though.