Polugar

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DSmith78
Swill Maker

Re: Polugar

Post by DSmith78 »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:
Sharks_n_danger wrote:None of the in-laws have heard of it. I’ll check with the extended side next time I see them.
There's not much known about the famous amongst those Russians wine of bread :roll:

Meanwhile, I'm getting encouraged to start a new thread for describing the second method of creating that bread-ish substance...
Please, feel free to jump on this thread with that!!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSmith78 wrote: Please, feel free to jump on this thread with that!!
But what's the difference? Imma tell it across the board 'cause it has to do with all reach-of-fusels low wines and tails-based aromas (including rums!)...

UPD / done it: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=74596

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I've woken this thread up to ask for advice on a couple of techniques as researching has drawn a blank.

I made a Polugar a while back and it was... OK. But I keep reading that this drink was traditionally cleaned with egg whites, birch charcoal and bread. The charcoal I obviously understand and I know adding egg whites to a spirit adds a lovely smooth texture but how do you "clean" a spirit with egg whites? And bread?? Any information will be greatly appreciated!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

We clean, do we?.. :oops: Well, if the one gets some Polugar that sounds OK then... is it worth to clean it?

And let's make the difference between cleaning the product and masking the stinkies...

Talking of bread — it's not so good sorbent as charcoal. But it could mask not bad, as well as add color, flavor and taste. To begin with, let's take some brown bread: the "browner" (due to some rye malt extract inside) = the better. All those coriander and/or caraway sorts are OK, too. Well, let's cut some bread as 1x1x3cm bricks and then put them into the oven. We need crackers, quite strongly dried and even slightly carbonized. Drop them into your likker, about 50-100g per liter and wait a week. Then filter, that's all. If you put just bread (not crackers) — the booze gets cloudy.

There's a vid about (in Russian but quite understandable just seeing) — do you need it? Once upon a time added some crackers to my bread wines according to this vid but... it's better without, imo.

And talking of all that eggs mess — do you really wanna read it here? :wink: Maybe, it's better give you some hints how to make our traditional barley infusions, basing on neutrals such as Everclear etc...

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Thank you again for your response! I really like the sound of experimenting with the bread crackers - if you have the link to the video I would be very grateful. As for the eggs - I've read it a few times and not sure on what is meant by it? :?: I know how to clean spirits with milk and lemon but I'm guessing this is a different technique? I'll keep searching...
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSmith78 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am I really like the sound of experimenting with the bread crackers - if you have the link to the video I would be very grateful.
As this guy is too slow in motion,,, you could watch it at 2x or 4x speed :?
Just start from 2:40 approx.

DSmith78 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am As for the eggs - I've read it a few times and not sure on what is meant by it? :?: I know how to clean spirits with milk and lemon but I'm guessing this is a different technique?
Adhesive (glue) bonding. Getting the concretion of proteins with fusels is only half done. And the long way to knock this sh!t outta the product. Try to check this out... And I would not put my signature under that info for I never tried it in fact.

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:53 pm
DSmith78 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am I really like the sound of experimenting with the bread crackers - if you have the link to the video I would be very grateful.
As this guy is too slow in motion,,, you could watch it at 2x or 4x speed :?
Just start from 2:40 approx.

This is absolutely perfect, thank you! I'm definitely going to try a rye Polugar again but using these additional techniques I've now learned. I presume the white bucket in the video is full of birch charcoal?

Thank you again, you've really helped me.
DSmith78 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am As for the eggs - I've read it a few times and not sure on what is meant by it? :?: I know how to clean spirits with milk and lemon but I'm guessing this is a different technique?
Adhesive (glue) bonding. Getting the concretion of proteins with fusels is only half done. And the long way to knock this sh!t outta the product. Try to check this out... And I would not put my signature under that info for I never tried it in fact.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSmith78 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 am Thank you again, you've really helped me.
You're welcome anytime...
DSmith78 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 am This is absolutely perfect, thank you! I'm definitely going to try a rye Polugar again but using these additional techniques I've now learned. I presume the white bucket in the video is full of birch charcoal?
Yepp, that was the birch charcoal. That has no difference (in effect) with the coconut charcoal :wink:

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Well I've finally decided to have a half decent stab at this - if you're interested have a look at my breakfast cereal Polugar thread.