Got the ingredients, just need some advice

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Frosty36
Novice

Got the ingredients, just need some advice

Post by Frosty36 »

Hey all,
So i'm extremely new to the distilling world. I've ran a handful of apple shines that have turned out tasty. I now have the ingredients for a corn mash sitting in my house and I just want to make sure I do it right. I hate wasting supplies.
I have corn ( uncraked or flaked as i think its called) from ag supply store. Not sweet I believe. If i need sweet I can get it too.
3 lbs Barley ( unmalted)
Alpha amylase
Yeast and sugar

How fine should the corn be cracked up? Powder or more like fragments?
I have an understanding on cooking temps and things of that nature. But, I'm new to amylase and not quite sure when to add it or what it does.
I stopped in a home brew store and the guy seemed to have a good knowledge of running liquor so he was adamant about the amylase.

Thanks for the help in advance.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Got the ingredients, just need some advice

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Are you following a tried and true recipe?

If you;re not sure then you should start there so you're following steps from a proven recipe. Folks around here will be able to provide better assistance.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

I browsed through that section for hours. Found a few that I like. May actually delete this post and go there with it. Thanks for the suggestion
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

there is a lot of variables so it is good advise to follow a T&T until you gain a solid footing. temps and PH are critical with grains and enzymes.
don't worry about deleting the post, we got lots of electrons...and if you want to buy a few more for us, the donate button is placed very handily at the bottom of the page down there VVVV

cheers!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.