Air Distiller worked PERFECT for GIN mini distillation from a maceration

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

ChemMan
Novice

Air Distiller worked PERFECT for GIN mini distillation from a maceration

Post by ChemMan »

Just an update on Using Air distiller $139 unit from Amazon worked perfect. Started with 90 proof to soak and macerate fruit and berry's, etc... Diluted to < 60 % and then distilled. Added about 3 liters into Air distiller, then did 100 Ml cuts just to see.

Tossed first 25 Mls, saved the rest. Ended up with 1.75 liters of 140 proof, and "good" taste profile. Diluted last night down to 90 Proof, and looking forward to GIN + tonics tonight.

I was worried the 700 watt element might be too fast for Ethanol verse water, but it worked GREAT, distillate was "warm", like 90-100F as most. It did better than I thought it would, as at the end the proof seemed to drop quite fast indicating a couple trays of separation are happening in the "magic" pipe with the air cooled fins.

Will be trying to some other ideas with this little guy for sure.

I did NOT use a RUM base, thanks for thoughts on earlier post.... need to work on my families flavor profile and recipe to our likes now going forward. The best part is the small 2 liter batches will take less then 2 hours start to finish with clean up being dump the pot and rinse.

So far GLAD I tried it out.
61180526007__E5A993C6-5D54-4C22-AFBC-B1534827CD61.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG
Miserlymoms
Novice

Re: Air Distiller worked PERFECT for GIN mini distillation from a maceration

Post by Miserlymoms »

Hello :lol:
I have the same Air Distiller and just tried it for the first time. what temperature did you set the device to go to?
ChemMan
Novice

Post by ChemMan »

I stopped based on smell and taste...left 1 liter in the pot...

It was really easy to see end point....cloudy "Cuts" with poor taste, smell and low Alcohol all came at once at the end.

I would NOT leave it to shutdown by itself!!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Gonna take you a while to fill that barrel with an air still ! ;-)
kornflake
Novice

Post by kornflake »

Seen these at the local home brew shop and wordered how well it worked. Glad you are having success with it.