Odins Easy Gin - Modification / tweek vote

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Locini1
Novice

Odins Easy Gin - Modification / tweek vote

Post by Locini1 »

So think mostly all are in agreement Odins Easy Gin is a great and easy recipe. (Nice one Odin and thanks for sharing) I would imagine many people start their gin journey here and tweek the recipe a little or maybe a lot to suit. That tweeking is exactly what this thread is about...

Wanted to kick off a thread on what botanical recipe additions people have experimented with over the 7 + years from the original recipe Odin posted back in 2013...

My plan is to update this 1st post with both Positive and negative additions in a list form, and i will try to put them in order of popularity.

Only 1 rule: You must be following the Odins easy gin base botanical bill (Only 3 ingredients) and instructions.

So for the added botanical's there is going to be 3 main categories:

1) Definite Positive influence on the Recipe (More than 75% people give it a +1, less than 25% give it a -1)

- Don't add anything!! - Its great the way it is.

2) Negative influence on the recipe (More than 75% people give it a -1, less than 25% give it a +1)

3) Undecided may be positive or negative by individual taste influence (Roughly a 50% mix - Basically Anything that isn't in either of the above two categories...) undecided, unsure, call it what you will.

4) Recommended added combo's (This will be a list with a multiplication) so for example if four people recommend almond, casia bark, and angelic root as a great combo then it would read: Almond, casia bark, and angelic root x 4 (Think of this like a star rating)

These lists will obviously change over time, and I know taste is a very personal thing, im hoping the law of averages will come into play and eliminate anyone with a very unique/individual sense of taste. This therefore is designed to be an aid for the general consensus or taste profile, not someone with very individual or unique taste. Sorry if your that person :twisted:

So format will be
Botanical Name - Your vote - Quantity per litre used

If More than 1 addition needs to be made to enhance the flavour (IE they do not make a positive influence on their own) Please say the combo and +1 or -1 plus quantity of each botanical used

Last thing if you do not think any tweeks in your opinion improve this recipe - Say so - Ive already added that to the list.

I'm sure you get the idea... Fire away... Looking forward to hopefully getting some meaningful data. :thumbup:
seabass
Rumrunner

Re: Odins Easy Gin - Modification / tweek vote

Post by seabass »

Another thing to consider is how those botanicals are being used. A longer maceration and removing botanicals will give different results than shorter maceration and distilling on botanicals.

Personally, I added 15% more juniper to the recipe after not having enough juniper. And lime zest from 1 lime for the size batch in the recipe.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Locini1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:21 amOnly 1 rule: You must be following the Odins easy gin base botanical bill (Only 3 ingredients) and instructions.
That's me out already.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

To add another rule: just post this under the op's post. ;)

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Locini1
Novice

Post by Locini1 »

Odin wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 pm To add another rule: just post this under the op's post. ;)

Odin.
Hi Odin,

Sorry man, just didn't want to take away from your OP, and thread, and it's already a huge thread at that... Plus as you've already said many times you want it to be easy, so I didn't want to detract from that by starting this on your thread.

Just wanted to put the feelers out to see if and what folk are doing in terms of modifying your recipe, was hoping it would be interesting.

I've ran it myself and its awsome, so thanks for sharing in first place.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No problem. If it helps out members, it serves a goal. And maybe you are right. Keep the one thread clean and the other one experimental?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.