Made some Gin

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sandhusker
Novice

Made some Gin

Post by Sandhusker »

I made some Gin today for the first time. I don't know if I did everything right - or anything right, but here's what I did;
Started with a quart of 150 proof. In a coffee filter, I put in 2 TSP of Juniper berries that I ran through my coffee grinder, 1/2 TSP of ground Coriander, 1/16 TSP Ginger, 1/16 TSP Orris Root, 1/8 TSP Anise, 1/4 TSP Orange peel and 1/4 TSP Lemon. Yeah, I know, some people like to measure in grams, but I'm a redneck and grams don't mean a damn thing to me - every has a teaspoon. I macerated that mix overnight, and diluted to 60%. Using a 8" section of copper mesh, I made a little sock, put my package of botanicals in it and stuffed it in my pot head (18" of 2" copper). Ran it off and diluted to 42%.

I did a side-by-side taste test with Tangueray. I think I need to add a bit more juniper, and certainly need to back down the anise. Might back down the Coriander a smidgen, too. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised, this stuff is drinkable.

GO BIG RED
Husker
retired

Re: Made some Gin

Post by Husker »

Sounds nice, and yes, anise is an ingredient you need to be VERY careful in amounts, and use micro amounts. You can always add more anise, but it is hard to take it away, without simply having to re-distill from scratch.

I Like your timing, I just nabbed a couple cups of juniper berries yesterday. Was surprised to find some decent green ones, and many good purple ones this time of year. I have about a gallon of some pretty smooth semi-neutral grain wash. I might toss out some gin myself. Gin, rum and whiskey are my favorite type of booze. I do not have any gin at this time, might be time to fire some up.

Nice to hear of your success (or successful first step).

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Sandhusker
Novice

Post by Sandhusker »

I'm kind of fired up about how well this came out. I'm going to adjust the recipe and run another quart tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out. I want a recipe on "Tried and True" - that would be kind of like a badge of honor.

GO BIG RED
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

A good repeatable gin recipe would be fine there. Gin is a nice drink, and if you got the proper ingredients and a way to put them in your pot's vapor path, it can really turn out a nice drink.

The thing gin, is a TnT recipe thread, could have 5 or 6 recipes (if they are 'good'), because there is SO much variation (good variation), which can be done with gin. There are about 15 different spices which can be used (or left out), and can be included in different amounts, macerated, or just put into the vapor path on re-distill. Each changed recipe will make a different and unique gin. Some are wonderful, many are good, some are not so good, and if you overdo certain of the botanicals, you can get an awful result.

Good luck, and if you get a good final repeatable recipe, we can add it to TnT.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I've made a bit of gin over the years sand, and like you I have usually been surprised about the quality. Dunno why I was surprised, I guess I just thought that gin would be difficult. I agree with everything husker posted, especially about anise. Like you I prefer volume measurements rather that weight. Even have my plastic grain bucket marked with lines for various grains.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Sandhusker
Novice

Post by Sandhusker »

OK, here's what I think I'm going to go with; Same preperation as before -
2 rounded TSPs Juniper Berries
1/4 TSP Lemon Peel
1/4 TSP Orange Peel
1/8 TSP Angelica
1/8 TSP Orris Root
light 1/8 TSP Anise
Grind all those and then add:
1/2 TSP ground Coriander
1/8 TSP ground Cinnamon
1/8 ground Ginger

This makes good gin.

GO BIG RED
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

This is what I use per gallon:

1 tablespoon fresh juniper berries (crushed)
1 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp anise
a 1" piece of lemon rind
a 1" piece of cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground cardamom

I've never been able to find angelica or orris root so I've never used them. I also put 1 lime leaf in each bottle with the final product. I'm not a big gin drinker myself but everyone seems to like it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Sandhusker
Novice

Post by Sandhusker »

Uncle Remus wrote:This is what I use per gallon:

1 tablespoon fresh juniper berries (crushed)
1 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp anise
a 1" piece of lemon rind
a 1" piece of cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground cardamom

I've never been able to find angelica or orris root so I've never used them. I also put 1 lime leaf in each bottle with the final product. I'm not a big gin drinker myself but everyone seems to like it.
I got everything at Monterey Bay Spice Co. They've got everything - good prices and fast service, too.
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

I'm assuming you mean angelica seed as that would be good in gin. I'd go real light on the orris root as it has a way of overpowering and may be a bit too floral. Has anyone tried lime rind?