Orujo, Grappa, Pomace Brandy

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ftero
Bootlegger

Orujo, Grappa, Pomace Brandy

Post by Ftero »

As the subject suggests, it's all essentially the same thing. In Spain it's Aguardiente de Orujo, or just Orujo for short. In Italy it's Grappa. Technically I believe it all to be a Pomace Brandy.

There are not a lot of informative posts that I can find on the web regarding it's small-scale production. I find interesting tidbits in many articles and videos. Like making chocolate chip cookies, every cook has their own favorite procedure. I hope that a little of what I write here is useful to some novice.

I've been making Orujo for the last 10 years or so in my small, 30 liter, alembic pot still. Typically I load the pot with the pomace on top of a copper grid that is elevated about 2cm from the pot base which keeps the pomace from making direct contact and burning. I load the pot about 3/4 full with the pomace, pressing it down lightly so that it doesn't get blown up into the cap while distilling.

Usually, I then fill the pot to about 1/2 way with cold water. Some people do the same with the heads and tails from previous runs. Others use wine. This year the pomace that I got had very little juice and alcohol in it, as the vinyard used a hydraulic press and squoze the bejeesus out of it. I had access to some wine, so I decided to use it to charge the pot in stead of water.

I did a stripping run as per usual. I started to run the cooling water @ 75C. I ran it fairly hard, and the first continuous stream of distillate after the fore-shots started at 82% abv, and I stopped running @ 92C when the abv was at 20%. With the recitfying lentil on my still, I get about 7% abv higher to start off with compared to running without it.

This year I also deviated from my norm by not using the copper grid on the bottom of the still and using a layer of wheat straw instead. In Spain most of the home-based producers use this straw method. I have wanted to try this since I began distilling but had been too lazy to try. I bought a bale of straw this year. It works great and I can't identify any of it's taste in the end product.

Once I was done with my stripping run I dumped everything but the fore-shots into the pot, added enough water to bring the level up to 2/3rds or so and ran it slowly without the rectifying lentil, collecting it all into small jars to mix once done. I ran it all the way down to a cloudy 20% abv. I have learned that adding a little bit of the heads and tails to the hearts gives a better balance to the overall taste. This year I added all the way up to 75% and down to 47% to the hearts.

Today the ultimate test was to add a drizzle of Orujo to a generously sweetened cup of coffee. Awesome.
serafina
Novice

Re: Orujo, Grappa, Pomace Brandy

Post by serafina »

Ftero, this is great

From what I'm seeing here it sounds like you don't do any fermentation yourself. Does this mean you're using red wine pomace exclusively?
Ftero
Bootlegger

Post by Ftero »

20191110_090542_hdr1.jpg
No, I don't do any fermentation myself with regards to Orujo making. I only used bottled red wine from 2015 and 2016 and fresh pomace this year. I only have access to Pinot Noir.

I wish I could get Pinot Grigio or other varieties to try, but beggars can't be choosers.

The sulfites in the bottled wine do gum up my copper still. I just wash it down carefully with a strong citric-acid or lemon juice and rock-salt mixture to clean it up. I need the exercise anyway. :D
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

What's up with that flammable storage box next to your propane burner?

Stay safe my friend
OVZ