Thoughts on a Absinthe Distilling?

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

BLuTO
Novice

Thoughts on a Absinthe Distilling?

Post by BLuTO »

I wanted to take a crack at Absinthe. Now I work with a Reflux still packed with Copper Mesh. I was thinking instead of Maceration with the herbs and spices. I could replace the Copper Mesh with herbs and spices. I've always wanted to try this.

Also I know I need to have a super high starting alcohol. From what I understand 85% is ideal. What if I were to buy a case of Everclear (151proof in the state of CA) and use that? Or would it be better if I were to re-distill the 151 and bring it up higher in proof.

Thanks. :D
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Thoughts on a Absinthe Distilling?

Post by Prairiepiss »

Why would you not make your own neutral to start with? Make up a batch or two of Birdwatchers and distill it into a neutral and use it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
BLuTO
Novice

Post by BLuTO »

Prairiepiss wrote:Why would you not make your own neutral to start with? Make up a batch or two of Birdwatchers and distill it into a neutral and use it.
I could. However when it takes 3, 12 hr days to distill 3 gals of 180 proof stuff. That is with my 15 gal boiler. It just becomes a pain. With the time and effort put in. I could just just easily buy 3-4 cases of 151 and bring it up higher. Not to mention the discount I get though my liquor distributor.
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

If you can afford to buy that much Everclear...why not just bye some Absinthe? On another point, why not just buy vodka @40% and run that through your still, as you are likely to get it where you want it and it would be safer that putting 151 proof in your still and running it...you know....explosive fumes sometimes go boom!!..why it is recommended to never charge your still with. Low wines higher than 40%ABV.
BLuTO
Novice

Post by BLuTO »

Ok then alcohol aside.

What about doing the infusion though the column as opposed to maceration?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

BLuTO wrote:Ok then alcohol aside.

What about doing the infusion though the column as opposed to maceration?
The short answer is "No"... :problem: One method is using vapor and the other is using liquid... :think: And if you're wasting 36 hours to get 3 gallons of high proof spirits you're going about things wrong... :crazy: I could get more than that using a 2 gallon boiler in that amount of time... :idea:
BLuTO
Novice

Post by BLuTO »

OK here are my thoughts.

I make a 20 gal wash that is about 12%abv. That is 2 runs in my 15 gal boiler. In which I would then need to re-distill in order to get it up to a 85%. I have never been able to achieve 85% on the first run. This whole process would take me at least 14hrs for 3 distillations. Perhaps I am doing something terribly wrong. I always run my still on a super low heat and keep the head of the column at 172F. Is this wrong?

What I am getting at is... It takes a long time to get 2 gals of neutral spirit. When I could easily buy some stuff and re-distil it. I love sitting in front of the still just as much as the next guy. But when I want to experiment making absinthe. I don't want invest that much time and effort just to fail. Because I know absinthe is tricky.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

on a super low
heat and keep the head of the column at 172F. Is this wrong?
yes if running a pot still. or even a reflux.
BLuTO
Novice

Post by BLuTO »

I guess everything I have learned has been wrong. This scares me. What the hell is the point of the thermometer at the top then?

I need to take a step back.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"What the hell is the point of the thermometer at the top then?"
not much in a pot still,it does give you something to watch and occupy your time.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 65&t=16635
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is probably one of the better recipes on this forum for absinthe.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... e#p7038721
BLuTO
Novice

Post by BLuTO »

Thanks for everything everyone!

I guess after further research Maceration IS the way to go.
As for learning new distilling techniques...I have had great results so far, but I will certainly take what I have learned into consideration.

I've got a plan for my absinthe.