Absinthe: Please teach me

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Absinthe: Please teach me

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I know nothing about commercial absinthe. I have spent many hours reading about making it and drinking it here on HD. I want to make it in the future, but not until I determine how (and if) I like it. Since I've never tasted a sip in my life, I really have no idea where to start. I'm determined to learn about it this coming year, so that I can give it a good go by next Christmas. I was perusing drinkupny.com, where I order whiskies that I can't get at liquor stores near me, and I saw that they carry many different types of absinthe.

Could anyone recommend 2 or 3 different types of absinthe that I could buy and try out? Some variety that could show me differences in different types available would be great. I'm not worried about spending a little bit of money, but I don't want to buy an $80 bottle only to try it and decide I dislike it... and then find out years later that I would have loved it if I just tried a different variety.

I see posts about making it and the mystery of the spirit intrigues me (mostly Bushman's). It's like a secret group that I know nothing about... and I want in! Maybe I'll try a few kinds and decide I'm not into it... in which case I'll avoid the process of trying to make any. However, I don't think this will be the case.

So, which kinds should I try? And what is the best way for a beginner to drink it? Thanks in advance!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Bushman
Admin

Re: Absinthe: Please teach me

Post by Bushman »

I am going to give you more information than you are asking for. First two of the bottles I like one is probably one of the best made in the US and it is called Pacifique the other comes from France and is is called Pernod. The taste drastically changes on how you prepare it, how much water to alcohol, and how you introduce the sugar to the drink. Remember that most absinthes are around 60% and thus is deluted for drinking. You really need to study the different methods. In the Czech Republic they sell a lot of absinthe and all but a few is crap. They also impress you by using a flame to burn the sugar into the drink. I like using my absinthe fountain, and depending how I run it, like a still will determine the quality of drink in my glass.

I would suggest you go to a forum I am a member but don't visit very often called The Worm Wood Society. Also we had a member years ago that really worked on profecting his recipe and I am thinking since we don't hear from him anymore he has gone commercial. His name was Devotus and here are a few links you might be interested in.

An Absinthe thread with Absinthe
Simple Pontarlier Absinthe

Here is a great supplier in the US:
http://www.absintheherbs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Thought of Devotes the second I read this. I knew him through another forum and as he spent about two yes perfecting his recipe , was quite fussy and was happy with his end result I really would recommend doing a search on him. He is a Queenslander who was living/working in Germany and I think using an alembic still. Really nice fella who spent a fair amount of time helping me navigatephpBB forums and other tech stuff. Last I heard he was exploring the idea of reproducing a Naval rum (which is a common interest I have) .
Good guy with concise easy to follow factual posts :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

RandyMarshCT wrote: It's like a secret group that I know nothing about... and I want in!
Me too! The last thing I need to do is add to my distilling to-do list, but I do love this idea.
I was in a small town in upstate NY this summer, I think it was Stanford, near Jefferson, and I wandered into a craft beer bar that was offering an absinth flight.
As I recall one was Pernod, one was Kubler (sp?), and one was made by a woman running a very small distillery not far from that town.
It was served in three glasses with water slowly poured from a triple tap glass dispenser, onto sugar cubes on flat spoons, into the glasses.
All three were cloudy, distinctly different, and very tasty.
Thanks for all the info, guys, I might bump this up a little higher on my list.

Edit: the third was made by Delaware Phoenix Distillery
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote: It's like a secret group that I know nothing about... and I want in!
Me too! The last thing I need to do is add to my distilling to-do list, but I do love this idea.
I was in a small town in upstate NY this summer, I think it was Stanford, near Jefferson, and I wandered into a craft beer bar that was offering an absinth flight.
As I recall one was Pernod, one was Kubler (sp?), and one was made by a woman running a very small distillery not far from that town.
It was served in three glasses with water slowly poured from a triple tap glass dispenser, onto sugar cubes on flat spoons, into the glasses.
All three were cloudy, distinctly different, and very tasty.
Thanks for all the info, guys, I might bump this up a little higher on my list.

Edit: the third was made by Delaware Phoenix Distillery
Me three!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Randy, you have raised a subject close to my heart. It was absinthe that got me started in this hobby in the first place. Good absinthe is about the most delicious thing I can think of. Bad absinthe is horrible. Also there is wide variation in taste, even among absintheurs. For instance, Lucid and Kubler are two brands that are often recommended for beginners, but typically, in my experience, people who like Lucid will despise Kubler, and vice versa. Kubler was my first, and I still like it. I find Lucid undrinkable.

Drinkupny has a nice variety. I would also recommend Catskill Cellars, mostly because they carry Delaware Phoenix wares. That is the first brand I would suggest, Delaware's Meadow of Love. If that's not available, get their Walton Waters . The variety of European absinthes is mind boggling. Absinthes.com lists over 200 brands. For an introduction to European absinthe I would get a Duplais or View Pontarlier. Any of the Jades would be good, but they are horribly expensive. There are also many good American offerings these days. Try Ridge, Pacifique, or Marteau. Preferably Ridge, I think. Avoid anything weird, like red absinthe, or oak infused.

For preparation, first, don't set anything on fire. You can't go wrong with the traditional method: Put an ounce in a glass and slowly pour 4 to 5 ounces of ice water over a sugar cube into it. Enjoy the show as the louche develops. Some absinthes don't require sugar, it's a matter of taste. I sometimes mix a little sugar in icewater and keep it in the fridge in a fifth with a pour spout. You want the water as cold as possible. The slow drip just makes the louche more fun.

Making your own is a whole other subject I could rattle on about for hours. It's frustrating as hell and rewarding in equal measure. The threads cited above are good reading. There is a lot of good info at La Fee Verte also.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Excellent information, thank you very much! There's a good chance I won't attempt to make any for quite a while. I need to do some solid research with lots of sampling. I'm really looking forward to this!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I think I remember jimbo doing a thread about it.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Parting shots:

Price is no indicator of quality. Some of the absolute worst absinthe on earth sells for $200 a bottle. That being said, there are no COs under $60 that I would recommend. The stuff that sells for $30 and $40 just gives real absinthe a bad name. I know this sounds rediculously expensive, but remember it is traditionally bottled at 68% ABV, and a dose is 1 to 1 1/2 ounces diluted 4 to 1 with water, so a fifth will make 20 to 25 drinks.

In general the cooler the bottle, the worse the absinthe. I don't know why, it just seems to work that way. There are exceptions (rare) of course.

Enjoy! And may the spirit of Dr. Ordinaire guide your journey.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

These are the snob so to speak where you will find out the most about quality and how to serve absinthe.
http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Also on your research you probably saw my absinthe fountain that Mash Rookie made for me thanking me for some of the CNC work I did for him.
Below is also a video worth watching to see the flow rate necessary. His item replaces an absinthe fountain but not he is using traditional absinthe glasses. The ball in the bottom is used to measure to proper amount of absinthe to add. A sugar cube is added and the ice water drips through the sugar cube disolving it. It is very important that the water is ice cold.
http://vimeo.com/36412713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Alright guys, it's been a while and I am making very good progress in forming the very best collection possible for my ultimate absinthe experience. I've spent a substantial amount of money on this campaign so far, which is why it's taking me so long. I want you guys (Bushman & Skow especially) to know that your advice is greatly appreciated and that I always feel if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. Here you will see my collection thus far:
Absinthes.jpg
I purchased a 4-spigot fountain from I-heart-Absinthe (found the link through the wormwood society) along with 3 spoons so far. I'll be buying another spoon when I order a set of 4 glasses. I have a bag with 200 "Absinthe" sugar cubes. I have the Ridge (now called Villya Spirits). I have the Pernod and the Pacifique. I have the Nouvelle-Orleans by Jade. I have the Walton Waters and the Meadow of Love from Deleware Phoenix. All of these bottles are brand new and unopened. I also have a bottle of Lucid that was given to me, but it is only 1/3 full. I have not taken a single sip of any of these yet, and let me tell you... it's been VERY difficult to keep my hands off of these. The bottles ranged from $65 to $110 each and they were quite difficult to find and accumulate. There are no liquor stores within a 1 hour drive of me that carry any of these items (that I know of, or could find).

So, my plan is to invite anyone else that would be interested in this endeavor over, most likely the first week of July. I'll prepare each of these spirits with the traditional method. I was thinking I'd approximate the water ratio so the %abv of each glass will be almost the same, in the range of 4 oz (a bit more for stronger bottles, less for lower abv). Each of these can then be sampled by each person who attends. This way everyone can sample every kind without getting annihilated drunk. Does this seem like a good approach? Is there a particular palette cleanser that would work well for this tasting experience? As long as I don't get more than a dozen people (which I seriously doubt I will), I should have a substantial amount of Absinthe left in my liquor cabinet to mess with.

Are there any bottles that I'm missing here that I absolutely should include? I'm willing to spring for 1 or possibly 2 more if they are "must haves." Is there a cocktail that should be included in this tasting experience? Is anyone close to southern Rhode Island and wants to be included in this? Should I have bought a new full bottle of the Lucid?

Thank you guys again for all your help!

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That's a nice collection, wish I lived closer for the tasting. Few things to remember:
1. Give the ice time to really cool the water in the fountain down before making the drinks.
2. You will get a totally different flavor depending on your percent of water to alcohol.
3. Don't open the valves on the fountain but have a constant drip onto the sugar cube to allow it to desolve properly.

I believe the wormwood society also has a pretty good evaluation sheet if you want to use it to compare the different brands.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Thanks Bushman. On your recommendation #2, do you feel that it is reasonable to shoot for a specific ABV with each of these samples for comparative purposes? Or should I try 4:1 ratio for all as a first test? I'm sure after time I will have specific ratios I prefer for each of these brands, but at the moment I'm shooting from the hip.

I joined the wormwood society forum, but am reluctant to jump right in with questions (like I am with all forums) since my stupidity will be recorded for the rest of time. I imagine that would be a good place for additional advice, though.

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RandyMarshCT wrote:Thanks Bushman. On your recommendation #2, do you feel that it is reasonable to shoot for a specific ABV with each of these samples for comparative purposes? Or should I try 4:1 ratio for all as a first test? I'm sure after time I will have specific ratios I prefer for each of these brands, but at the moment I'm shooting from the hip.

I joined the wormwood society forum, but am reluctant to jump right in with questions (like I am with all forums) since my stupidity will be recorded for the rest of time. I imagine that would be a good place for additional advice, though.
Good starting place, if your comparing you want everything equal. For me depending on the absinthe I go for 3:1 to 5:1 so going to the middle ratio makes sense.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Nice thread Randy. I enjoyed the advice from Skow and Bushman. Never had absinthe myself, but find it fascinating. :thumbup:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Wow, you jumped in with both feet, alright. I hope you like the stuff. That is a lovely lineup of absinthes you have there. Should make for a wonderful evening. Sadly, I am on the left coast also. I almost fell off my chair when I saw they were all sealed. I don't know how you do that.

To round out the selection I think I would add a blanche. I'd go for Duplais Blanche just to get more European representation. If that is not convenient, then KIubler or La Clandestine. Blanche Traditionelle (sp) is pretty interesting, but prolly not for this venue. They say it's bottled at "still strength" or something like that. It is 85% ABV, comes in an earthenware jug with no printing on it. Just a little tag hung by a string around the neck. I thought it was surprisingly drinkable considering the proof, but it is pretty bold. But I ramble. Sorry. Ridge also makes a very good blanche, but you already have their verte. ['Nother ramble--Ridge started out making the blanche because the wife loved absinthe, but she is allergic to hyssup, so vertes were all off limits. So the business was sort of born out of the need to accommodate her allergy.]

I would standardize your tastings by the dilution ratio and amount of sugar added, rather than ABV. My usual dose is 1 1/2 oz at 4:1 and no more than 1/4 tspn of sugar. You and your guests will probably discover your own preferred formulas before you make it through those seven samplers. I would definitely not waste any money on more Lucid. But that's just me. Some people really like the shit. The only cocktail I know of that uses absinthe is the Sazerac, and it's just a swish around the rim. I've never had one. I think absinthe never caught on for mixing because it overpowers everything else so badly.

This is officially against the rules, but I would make ice available. Good absinthe is always crisp and refreshing right after the louche, but it can warm up pretty quickly, and it is so much better cold, especially the strong ones. I often drop an ice cube in it, after the show is over. Again, that's just me.

Finally, there is always someone who has to try the Czech fire ritual. Make him use the Lucid. Or Pernod. Friends don't let friends set their absinthe on fire.

Have fun. Toast me with the N. O.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Man, tonight was not the night to try and get permission. I'm not the type to really need permission, I usually just tell her. We don't believe in permission, just consideration.

Still, being that my kid is expected to arrive July 1st, I needed to run it by her.

Bottom line, it ain't happening that week. She suggested I go 'fly' myself to Colorado. She was testing me. Though. I swear, S3 the week I move to the new house, absinthe night on the week of the delivery date.

You guys have timing.

Still, I cared enough to ask :wave: .

I got her to concede to the second weekend if the kid arrived by the first, but I'm guessing it'll be late.

should be fun, Randy. Awfully generous of you. Good job getting everything together. :thumbup:
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Haha, I admire your courage, Shine.

I have only 3 other people who have told me they absolutely want to be there and they all live within 10 minutes of me, so they can be there any time. I'll be inviting some people who own liquor stores in my town and the owner of my local homebrew supply, but other than that I have nobody planning to attend outside of town. Because of this, I really have no time constraints. I can do it any time, I was just thinking the 1st week of July because I have that week off from work. I could do it sooner or later. I'd love to see you again shine, I have some bourbon for you to try. It's the one I brought to Jedfest that wasn't quite finished. I sent a bottle off to the S3 gathering and I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping it can hold it's own with all the spirits those guys are enjoying. I have a bottle for you and a bottle for Jed.

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well that's awfully nice of you. It would be awesome to be able to enjoy your company again. Now, I don't want to hold no one up, if you have left overs, I'll mange my way there in July. Third week in July is best for me, considering baby and work timing. I recon I'm 2.5 hours or so from you. Just schedule how you see fit, and I'll work on in there where I can.

Mmm. Just remembering all that goodness from Jed fest. I still have, unopened, that bottle of maple. Promised the wife 7 months ago I'd wait til she could drink again. She's been eyeing it...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

[quote="RandyMarshCT" ]I have a bottle for you and a bottle for Jed.[/quote]
Randy if you deem me worthy id be honored to get that bottle but I don't know when ill be able to return the favour.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Jed, you already returned the favor. It's my pleasure.

RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I've completed my collection for this sampling with a bottle of La Clandestine, at the advice of the generous folks on the wormwood society forum. They suggested a blanche and I felt it wouldn't be complete without something from the Swiss. Also, the reviews on this bottle seem very good.
La Clandestine.jpg
I also purchased 4 absinthe glasses from I heart absinthe.
Absinthe Glasses.jpg
Now I just have to set a date for the sampling. I'm thinking Saturday July 25th. Would this work for you, Shine? I don't have that many people interested, so I'm trying to be accommodating for each person who is.

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Would love to be there Randy, but my jet setting is over for a few months! Had some very good absinthe up at proof this past weekend. Hoping to learn to make it.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bigbob wrote:Would love to be there Randy, but my jet setting is over for a few months! Had some very good absinthe up at proof this past weekend. Hoping to learn to make it.
Indeed. I thought one of the two there was very good. Never had absinthe before and was very impressed with the drink itself. We didn't get to see the louche unfortunately. Presentation was weak.

You guys have fun! I bet you will have a blast.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Hey Randy, good to see you updating this! I honestly thought this event had already happened, been waiting for the update!

So the only 2 days that don't work are the 25th and the 1st. I have company flying in on the 24th-28th, and the 1st is a big day for my job. The perfect date, for me, would be the 8th. Now, this is not my event, so I'm not asking for you to go to far out of the way for me. I can only imagine how loud those bottles must be screaming your attention. Plus all the time, research, and money you have put into this event.

It's like Babette's Feast for absinthe!

If that is a timeline you and the others are ok with, I'll be there. If not, I totally understand. I'm just honored to be invited.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

That's about a 2 day drive from far nor cal so 4 days round trip. If I wasn't on light duty I'd be there, nice coection of booze.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I am so jealous.

Enjoy,
skow
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

August 8th would be fine! I've been collecting these since new year's eve so waiting is no problem. Plenty of room for anyone that would like to stay for the evening.

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'll be hiding out in a cabin lost in the woods of upstate New York right about that time. Pretty sure that would put me within striking distance of this event.
I'll confirm one way or the other as date gets closer, but this sure sounds like a great time, and how else does a guy get to hang out and sample so much absinth in one evening?!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...