Exploding absinthe..

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

irgendeinekiwi
Novice

Exploding absinthe..

Post by irgendeinekiwi »

I've been lurking longer than I've been a member here and have read the newbie section and unless I'm completely inept at using the search function, I still haven't found the answer to the following questions :crazy:

I'm more interested in making liqueurs from high proof spirit then I am as fermenting everything myself at this point. Aaanyway.

I've read through the Duplais book and I'm keen to try out his take on Besancon Absinthe and Curacao. Both are basically botanicals macerated in 85% Spirit (readily available where I live) which are then re-distilled then sugared/cut with water.
As per the safety section, I know not to just plonk the 85%ish macerated liquid in the still (I'm running a small pot still) and that I should dilute it to around 40% beforehand.

1. In the case of the Absinthe, is it likely that I'd be getting higher than 74% Spirit coming out one the first run with said pot still? For the curacao it's all well and good if the product hovers around 40% but ideally I'd like the Absinthe to be 74% after final dilution.

2. Given that I'll be using high quality 96.5% wine spirit (diluted to 85% for the maceration), are the cuts that I'll make more a matter of taste and blending as opposed to acetone/methanol/headache compared to the distillation of a wash/mash?

Thanks in advance and feel free to shoot me down if I'm being too ambitious :ebiggrin:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Exploding absinthe..

Post by still_stirrin »

irgendeinekiwi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am 1. In the case of the Absinthe, is it likely that I'd be getting higher than 74% Spirit coming out one the first run with said pot still?
For the curacao it's all well and good if the product hovers around 40% but ideally I'd like the Absinthe to be 74% after final dilution...
With a boiler charge at 40%ABV, you should easily be able to collect a “hearts cut” at 75%ABV from a potstill, possibly even higher.
irgendeinekiwi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am
2. Given that I'll be using high quality 96.5% wine spirit (diluted to 85% for the maceration), are the cuts that I'll make more a matter of taste and blending as opposed to acetone/methanol/headache compared to the distillation of a wash/mash?
Unless you KNOW how “clean” the purchased spirit is, I would definitely plan to make cuts on the spirit run. Most commercial producers aim for profit, and as such, don’t do cuts. For example, Everclear, a commercial 190 proof grain alcohol is really crappy when diluted, simply because it is not a clean spirit, even though it has a high proof.

Ultimately, it’s up to you how you want to do it, but I certainly wouldn’t rely on the commercial guys to do my job for me. YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

How do you know he's not talking about 85 Proof?
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Please correct me if wrong, but I was under the impression that most all commercial vodka is just diluted 'everclear'. Am I wrong?
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Yes you're wrong. There's a video on youtube from a channel named how to drink where he blind tastes a bunch of vodka and proofed down everclear.

Try your neutral grape spirit first, proof it down to 40%. See what it tastes like. Then you can determine if you want to use it or not.
irgendeinekiwi
Novice

Post by irgendeinekiwi »

NZChris wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:38 pm How do you know he's not talking about 85 Proof?
Do you mean that Duplais is referring to proof instead of %?
irgendeinekiwi
Novice

Post by irgendeinekiwi »

Thanks for the advice!
I've used the brand's wine spirit before for a few non distilled liqueurs and it seems quite good, I'll have a more in depth tasting when the next lot arrives.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Corsaire wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 am Yes you're wrong. There's a video on youtube from a channel named how to drink where he blind tastes a bunch of vodka and proofed down everclear.

Try your neutral grape spirit first, proof it down to 40%. See what it tastes like. Then you can determine if you want to use it or not.
Actually, I think I am essentially correct. The fermented product is typically distilled to 190 proof or 95% and then diluted according to multiple online souces including;

https://blog.distiller.com/vodka-distil ... d%20unaged.

190 proof is basically everclear.

I do agree that not all vodka tastes alike. I presume that this is either the quality of the added water or unrecognized congeners in the 'neutral' spirit.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

The proof does not really matter.
Fores and heads can be 96% but they are still fores and heads and hence will taste like sh!t
If the base product was not made with good cuts then no matter what, without redistillation you will have a inferior product
The idea of proofing it down and then judging it goes right back to the idea/method of watering down cuts to find the true flavor of the spirit
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

irgendeinekiwi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am Given that I'll be using high quality 96.5% wine spirit (diluted to 85% for the maceration), are the cuts that I'll make more a matter of taste and blending as opposed to acetone/methanol/headache compared to the distillation of a wash/mash?
A note from an old ABS Head...there are no "cuts" in Absinthe. Whether your using your own "high test" grain or wine based spirit, or commercial spirits the "cuts" have already been done. You know the ABV of the spirit used for your botanical maceration and you know the volume, you add your water to dilute the wash and you take the original volume of said "high Test" spirit...your basically doing an alcohol tincture/extract, just with many herbs...you need to take it all...Kiwi
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

That said I know that some ABS heads do cut...
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=absinthe
get ready to enjoy some heady reading
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

seamusm53 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:45 am 190 proof is basically everclear.

I do agree that not all vodka tastes alike. I presume that this is either the quality of the added water or unrecognized congeners in the 'neutral' spirit.
Correct. Congeners can be found in 190 proof. They are not unrecognized. It still leaves 5% by volume room for congeners. A lot of members here can attest that even at 95% there's still heads and tails. And it seems like Everclear is made for profit, not taste.

But that's not my main concern. Have you tried your watered down base spirit yet? Did it taste good?

Commercially available 'neutral' spirit where I live is hardly neutral. I can't use it. It leaves off flavors. I've tried. Even a nocino I've made with it tastes off, 4 years later.

It would be a waste if all your spendy botanicals were overpowered by a bad base spirit.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

irgendeinekiwi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am I'm more interested in making liqueurs from high proof spirit then I am as fermenting everything myself at this point. Aaanyway.
You might have to get used to the idea that you do have to start at the beginning and make your own base spirit to make a quality Absinthe. I've always used my own. It's not that difficult and there are other interesting products you can make with the same style of base spirit. Just because Duplais' method uses 85% abv for the steep doesn't mean you can't use less than 85%. Looking at my notes, I see I've used a double pot distilled 68% heart cut from a grape based sugar wash for the steep, then added less water before the distillation and produced a very nice Absinthe. The hint of grape adds a nice quality to the flavor, rather than detracting from it.
irgendeinekiwi
Novice

Post by irgendeinekiwi »

Interesting points Re cogeners and cuts.
My spirit finally arrived, I have some various Bitters on the go for the moment with most of it, still pieceing together the last bits for my still and sourcing the botanicals I can't find in my area for Absthine etc. I've seen at least Angelica, Fennel and Greater Wormwood growing nearby.

Tasting notes from the Grape spirit
Diluted down to around 40%-
Immediate Brandy/grape nose, very vague notes of raspberry/summer fruits
Taste is extremely smooth, very slightly sweet with noticeable brandy elements, not very "Burny".
It's certainly not "Neutral" but I'd be happy to use it for applications like Absinthe or fruity type things.

Once I've got my still together and functioning I'm looking at getting a big batch of Uncle Remus Rice Vodka fermenting now that I looked closer at the price on the receipt from the Wine Spirit :crazy:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

irgendeinekiwi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:44 pm I've seen at least Angelica, Fennel and Greater Wormwood growing nearby.
That's a good start. :thumbup:
I manage to grow or gather most of my Absinthe botanicals and often use them freshly picked.