Planethax' Frosted Flakes Whiskey.

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

planethax
Rumrunner

Planethax' Frosted Flakes Whiskey.

Post by planethax »

Thanx to Odin for the original CornFlakes Whiskey recipe.

I have about 10 runs of this under my belt and though its all I ever done I really enjoy it.

For my wash I use 100L of water(110Ltotal wash in fermenter)

A breakdown of ingredients to single scale;

Metric
1L Water
0.16kg Sugar
0.05Kg Kellogs Frosted Flakes
0.0045Kg of Rye Flakes (used for extra flavour not necessary)
1 gram of Redstar Bakers Yeast

Standard
1Gallon Water
1.34Lb Sugar
0.4188Lb Kellogs Frosted Flakes
0.04Lb of Rye Flakes (used for extra flavour not necessary)
0.13Oz of Redstar Bakers Yeast

So far my Wash I use
100L Water (75L water 25L backset)
16kg Sugar
5Kg Kellogs Frosted Flakes
0.45Kg of Rye Flakes (used for extra flavour not necessary)
100 gram of Redstar Bakers Yeast

After first run I use 25% backset so 75L water 25L backset

Take 25L Hot backset and put in fermentor and stir in 16kg of sugar(agitate with paint stir on drill)
Crush 5Kg of Kellogs Frosted Flakes in boil pot with water.
Bring to boil and let light boil for 30 minutes (stirring every minute or two,till flake stop floating on top)

Put Frosted Flakes in fermentor and fill to desired level (I use 100L but my total wash with sugar FF is just over 110L)

Agitate with Paint stir on drill for 15 minutes.

Wait for wash to cool to 35*C(100f) then pitch rehydrated Redstar Backers yeast and cover.
I find this yeast works best(and fastest) for me closer to the 39*C(102*F) mark but works good between 32-39*C (90-102*F)

My Starting SG will be 1.070 and will finish in approx 6-7 days at which time I transfer to 5Gallon buckets to site for a day or two clear.

That's about it, if I have forgot something or any questions just ask away!!!

I would really like someone to give it a try and tell me what they think!

Especially someone who has tried Odins Cornflake Whiskey!
This has been modified due to the already added sugar to Frosted Flakes and with rye flakes added etc etc.

Oh: the Rye Flakes I get from the Bulk Barn.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Re: Planethax' Frosted Flakes Whiskey.

Post by StillLearning1 »

I'm doing something similar to this right now. I dont have the exact measurements with me right now but I did:

About 1/4 to 1/2 box CF
2cups brown sugar frosted mini wheat (crushed)
2slices rye bread crumbled up
5# sugar
1/4 cup bakers yeast

This is for a 5gal ferment. I did two buckets to start and see how it turns out. I wish I had gone with a little more rye bread now but we'll see how it goes I guess. Its bubbling along well on day 3now. Not quite as hard as regular CF wash but still good.

OP, I'm not really seeing the difference between your method and the original except that you used frosted flakes? I don't mean that in a bad way just trying to understand better.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

StillLearning1 wrote:......

OP, I'm not really seeing the difference between your method and the original except that you used frosted flakes? I don't mean that in a bad way just trying to understand better.
Well that is the main difference;
and the Reason I quoted Odin and credited him.
Though the amounts are different and compensating for the sugar of the frosting.
Odin wrote:500 grams of Kellogs cornflakes (ithas added b vits)', 20 liter of water, 3.5 kilo of sugar. Or use only 15 liters of water and 5 liter of backset.
I am using more F Flakes and have added Rye Flakes.

So why am I doing this and posting in Development section?
1, To give back to community
2, Get Feedback on recipe as the Frosted Flakes give it a unique flavour
3, Give others an option beside Cornflakes, like I, they may not be readily available for some without a hefty price tag.
(I get 2.8Kg boxes from costco)
4, to have a clear and concise recipe that will be easily followed and not have 500 other posts to sort through.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Alright well I'll give it a try this weekend. The CF recipe is my go to anyways so I'll just try the frosted flakes this time instead of regular. I'll be sure to post back if I could tell a difference or not.

Where do you get rye flakes from? Any particular brand?
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Got the rye flakes from The Bulk Barn,
Just a bulk food store, not any brand.
The Frosted Flakes I make sure are kellogs though so them I get from Costco
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

StillLearning1 wrote:Alright well I'll give it a try this weekend. The CF recipe is my go to anyways so I'll just try the frosted flakes this time instead of regular. I'll be sure to post back if I could tell a difference or not.

Where do you get rye flakes from? Any particular brand?
Did you get a chance to start this?
If so I am curious on your ferment time and if you followed recipe exactly or changed a bit,
and if you changed it up how? and what was SG?
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well I did get to the store to get some frosted flakes, but did not have time to mix it all up just yet. I'm hoping sometime in the next few days I'll have a chance. I think I might add some rye bread but I'm not sure. What do you think? How much should I try for a 5gal batch? If i don't use it I'll just use the regular CF recipe but with frosted flakes. I'll keep ya posted!
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I am not sure on rye bread I just used flake from bulk store and not sure how to the two compare.
Think I bought a kg for 78 cents lol
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Alright, i got off my ass and got this going! Heres what ive got so far:

5 gal water
5 pounds white sugar
1Lb. 10oz Kellogs Frosted Flakes (one box).

cooked flakes, sugar, 1/4 cup bakers yeast and about 2 gal water for 30 min or so.
After I felt like it was good and cooked up I put it in a 5 gal bucket and added cold water untill it was full.
After the cold water, the wash was down to about 90 Degrees F. so went ahead and pitched 1/2 cup Bakers yeast.
Stirred it real good with a sloted spoon for about 5 or 10 min.
Poured everything in the carboy, and put the airlock on.

Didnt finnish a smoke before the thing took off!

Some mental notes about the differance between the frosted and regular CF washes:

The FCF was is much different in color from the regular, it is much more grey than the brown im used to seeing.
I did not add any rye bread (although I was really tempted) so i could compare to the regular CF recipe better.
I read a recent post about measuring sugar and used this method: 1 pint jar = 1lb sugar. I dont know how accurate this is but boy was it easy!

Hopefully i will be able to run this in the next week or two. Judging by how hard it is bubbling and comparing it to past CF ferments id guess it will be done in about 4 days.

Im going to run this as slow as i can in my new simple keg pot still. Ive only made one "real run" on the new still so far and im still learning how it runs, so hopefully I can do a good job on this. I didnt like how the first run went and it was a CF wash, ran it too fast, got low yeild (not sure why on that yet), just put the whole run on the shelf to save as a stripping run. But in the past on my old 3 gal stock pot still i was making some pretty damn good hooch with this stuff, so i know it was likely me and not the wash that was wrong.

I will keep you posted on this!

Oh yea! I remebered to take a SG right after i pitched the yeast, 1.053. A little low but thats not temp corrected and im not sure if the yeast had any effect on the reading. I decided to let it ride and see how it goes, carboy was full and water to cool to dissolve any more sugar anyway.
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Thanx for the Update:
Looking forward to having someone try this and compare to the reg CF

Ya as for sugar I woulda went with 6.5lbs and doubled up on FF for sure.

For what its worth, if it works for you (or anyone) I made a quick vb6 app that has this and other recipes and tools in

VB6 executable Calculator Apps

So for 5 Gallon it would be
6.68lbs Sugar
2.0943lbs of FF
.2lbs of rye flakes

I am glad your planning to run slow.
This is how I run it and only do single runs(with a thumper) and with approx 10%abv my runs starts off at 80%

awaiting further updates.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I know your numbers are right but I just can't see putting twice as much CF as I did for a 5 gal wash. I figure I will only get about 4 gallons off this wash after its done, so just a guess I'd only get about 3 if I had the extra flakes. How much finished wash do you normally end up with on 5gal ferment wth 2pounds of flakes? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? :|
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Looking through the CF thread Odin doubled up on CF the same as this FF.
that said you may be on right track as I get a load of Trub every wash.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well......I'm not sure what to think now. 48hours and the airlock has gone dead. When I left for work it was still bubbling away fine. I've never had a ferment stall so I'm not sure if that's what I have or if its actually done. I don't read many post about two day ferments so I just don't think that's what happened.

There is still a decent amount of flakes on top so I'm going to give it a day and see what it looks like. Only way I can take a SG is to try and dump some wash out and I don't want to disturb it if its still working.
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

Turkey baster?
ETOH.... yes plz
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What is the SG now...??? With only 1 pound of sugar per gallon your wash could be done... It only had a potential of 7% ABV, or a mere tad more from the cereal...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I'm going to check the sg when I get home in a few hours. Wash looked like it was starting to clear this morning so I think maybe I actually had a two day ferment. I would be amazed if thats the case.

Odd to me, the wash I posted about earlier in this thread took 9days and only had a few differences. The buckets sat right next to each other.

I love this hobby. So fascinating, so much to learn and experiment with. I'm so glad I've started young (27). Maybe in 20 years or so I might know what I'm doing!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If "There is still a decent amount of flakes on top" then the cap hasn't fallen.
It's not done fermenting, but it may be getting close.
I'll assume your fermenter is clear, Wait and watch, when everything starts falling to the bottom and the wash begins to look clear then it's time to distill.
If you have an hydrometer, measurements will help you decide when the ferment is done.

Posting while StillLearning1 was
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

shadylane wrote:If "There is still a decent amount of flakes on top" then the cap hasn't fallen.
It's not done fermenting, but it may be getting close.
I'll assume your fermenter is clear, Wait and watch, when everything starts falling to the bottom and the wash begins to look clear then it's time to distill.
If you have an hydrometer, measurements will help you decide when the ferment is done.

Posting while StillLearning1 was
Yea the cap was just barely starting to fall when I checked this morning. I can't wait to get home and check it. If looks like its clearing I may just let it sit until its mostly done under the assumption it is done working. Still blown away by a two day ferment. I know the abv is a tad low, but I was going for Max flavor with this one. Trying to lose that greed still in this hobby.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Waite and watch.
When yeast is happy, it can breath the sugar out of a low gravity ferment very fast.
If you want to drink the shine young and white, let the ferment clear before distilling.
If your going to age it, then running it before it clears, with wider cuts, might be better.
It's your baby, raise it the way you want.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well the plan was to run it this weekend, but I believe the weather has different plans for me this weekend. Looks like rain all day every day. Its ok. I'll have 15 gal ready to run the next chance I get!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well the wash has almost finished clearing. Smells great and a little taste off my finger tells me it did not stall. Its plenty wine tasting. About the same as the same as the regular CF as far as i can tell. I'm going to let it sit another day or two before I transfer it to another container. Stand by for the FG. I still can't believe I had a two day ferment. With cereal washes as good as this I don't see why anyone would try a turbo.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Ok i finally got to run this yesterday!Life has been really hectic for me lately so I never even got a chance to rack this into another container to clear. So what I did was carefully pour my wash into another bucket and make damn sure I didn't get into the lees on the bottom of the jug. I added a gallon and a half of a strip run from a plain CF wash also.

As I said before I ran this as slow as I could and still have a decent stream coming from my liebig. The whole run took about 6 hours before I was down to %20.

Due to adding the strip run, and my new setup, I reached my personal best on ABV with this run!!! First jar was 158 proof. And was still at 150 on my 7th jar!That being said I only collect in 300ml increments due to my hard time with cuts still.

Corn smell was VERY strong on this one but the taste fresh off the still was almost identical to regular CF washes.

So I have 23 jars airing out right now and I will make cuts/ dilute either tonight or tomorrow night. I plan to take my best hearts and put em on oak and then take the rest and have my first try at apple pie! 
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

Still, you cutting with pint jars?

That's what I use and in the beginning only fill them up halfway till I air out.

I just started a frosted flake recipe yesterday after I ran the Apple off that was in that fermenter.

6 gallons water
One bulk (costco) bag of frosted flakes
5 grams of dap
Added sugar till SG of 06'

Working off good now with a sweet corn smell, I didn't want to hit 07' on the SG considering last wash of the corn casserole was that high and it was soooooo good I want to see how a little less total abv runs and if it shows even better in the end.

I will be doing that casserole again!!! By far the best corn I've made and was a total fluke experiment.