Pumpkin Spirit for Thanksgiving

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AlfA01
Novice

Pumpkin Spirit for Thanksgiving

Post by AlfA01 »

Hi All!

I'm thinking of running 25 l of 'shite' lager beer (decarbonated) combined with 25 l of pretty good pumpkin wine that I made last year. The wine is spiced with all spice, cinnamon, clove and was made with fresh pumpkin.

My only hangup is whether I should age on it some pieces of Bourbon vanilla, or on toasted oak. Well, one more hangup: I've been playing around with flavors (all natural stuff, such as fresh apples) lately. For example, I stripped a batch of apple cider and then let it rest for 24 hours and soaked it in fresh apples for an additional 24 hours. By the way, if you take a 1/4 cup of honey and add a 1/8 cup of water and warm it up then drizzle it over the apple chunks, it makes an interesting dessert treat. I'm planning on making my spirit run on that batch of apple (brandy) tomorrow.

The beer is 5% ABV and the pumpkin wine is 11%.

Any input or ideas?

Cheers,
AlfA
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Pumpkin Spirit for Thanksgiving

Post by jb-texshine »

Run them separately....
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jb-texshine wrote:Run them separately....
+1.

The beer run will be neutral flavored, but the spiced wine will carry some spices over. If you want to combine after running, then you can blend to taste.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
AlfA01
Novice

Post by AlfA01 »

jb-texshine wrote:Run them separately....
I was thinking that was the best route...run them both and then combine the hearts. I think I'll do a stripping run for each and then reflux (either separate or combined??) Any input?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

AlfA01 wrote:...I think I'll do a stripping run for each and then reflux (either separate or combined??) Any input?
So, I thought you were looking for pumpkin flavor here. If so, I (personally) wouldn't reflux the blended spirits.

It kinda' depends what you're trying to do here. I thought your goal was to salvage a couple of "bad" beverages into a drinkable holiday spirit.

And yes...stick a vanilla bean or two into the aging jar. Perahps even an allspice berry and a clove spike or two.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
AlfA01
Novice

Post by AlfA01 »

still_stirrin wrote:
AlfA01 wrote:...I think I'll do a stripping run for each and then reflux (either separate or combined??) Any input?
So, I thought you were looking for pumpkin flavor here. If so, I (personally) wouldn't reflux the blended spirits.

It kinda' depends what you're trying to do here. I thought your goal was to salvage a couple of "bad" beverages into a drinkable holiday spirit.

And yes...stick a vanilla bean or two into the aging jar. Perahps even an allspice berry and a clove spike or two.
ss
This weekend was a breakthrough for me...I received my order from MuggyWeld and an Amazon order for Stay Clean flux. These items are magic and I just made myself a little stripping still. Its a 3" stainless that is about 18" tall above a beer keg.

This way I can run the batches separate and then combine the hearts, minus the reflux. I think it will be perfect for this recipe.

Cheers,
AlfA