Wheat Experiment

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JayTeeDee
Novice

Wheat Experiment

Post by JayTeeDee »

What do you think of this recipe idea.

5lbs Whole Grain Wheat flour (I bought it a while back but never used it)

5lbs White Cane Sugar

5 Gallons of Well Water

(Maybe 1 - 2lbs of Malted Barley maybe not)

I kind of want to try an all wheat whiskey.

I do have access to get wheat malt and wheat grains but I have heard about people using flour for mash and didn't know if it was a good idea to try.

Thoughts?
Why you babysitting only two or three shots? I'mma show you how to turn it up a notch. First you get a swimming pool full of liquor, then you dive in it!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Wheat Experiment

Post by still_stirrin »

I'd add the barley malt (2 lb) to the flour mash. Let the enzymes convert the wheat flour starches to sugars. The additional sugar will add a harshness that you won't get with the wheat. So, it would be better to reduce or eliminate the white sugar in favor of more barley or wheat.

You asked, "what do we think" .... well, that's what I think. And I'm sticking to it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
JayTeeDee
Novice

Post by JayTeeDee »

still_stirrin wrote:I'd add the barley malt (2 lb) to the flour mash. Let the enzymes convert the wheat flour starches to sugars. The additional sugar will add a harshness that you won't get with the wheat. So, it would be better to reduce or eliminate the white sugar in favor of more barley or wheat.

You asked, "what do we think" .... well, that's what I think. And I'm sticking to it.
ss
Thank you. That makes sense.
Why you babysitting only two or three shots? I'mma show you how to turn it up a notch. First you get a swimming pool full of liquor, then you dive in it!
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

I've made a few wheat vodkas with both white and red with and without sugar and prefer the AG malted red wheat no sugar for a great neutral finished product.

Requires a mash in for conversion and batch or fly sparring with a false bottom. You'll need a big ole bag of rice hulls added for sparging to prevent the wheat bed from packing. Set the bed then fill your fermenter.

Fresh out the tun it tastes like good ole southern sweet tea.