Scotch Recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Scotch Recipe

Postby NcHooch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 am

Down_Home52 wrote:2-4 years!!!!!! I'm too old....NcHooch you mentioned waiting till the next day to make cuts or to blend? The addition of the 1 teaspoon/qt of peated barley infuses that much flavor....wow. Thanks for the suggestion. Now to find the right supplier for the grain. BTW thanks for the note on the yeast.

Yep, air it out for a day ...the beginners guide to cuts talks about it here : viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13261 (step 4)

Gotta age it if you want good whiskey. :wink:
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
NcHooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Down_Home52 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

When you add the teaspoon of smoked peated barley, the whole kernel or crack it then filter after aging? Ordered some of this today. http://www.brewinternational.com/smoked-malt-peated/
It recommends 10% max in grain bill. That is probably for beer. I guess I will have to try several combinations with a base malt to find out.
Down_Home52
Bootlegger

Postby Worm_Drippinz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Welcome!

If it were me I would start out simple I wouldn't go with an all grain, i would stick to a sweet feed or similar tried and true and go from there.

Jmo
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Down_Home52 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 am

Just finished my boil pot with a 5500 watt heat source. Using a large igloo cooler for my mash tun/ fermenter. Did a test run last night with 3 gallons water heated to 160 F. Dumped it inthe cooler and measured heat loss over two hours. Ended up at 143 degrees after about two hours. Thinking about using the cooler for the primary fermenter too and ferment on the grain as Jimbo describes in his tried and true. I have a bazooka filter I could fit in the bottom or just pump it to kettle with transfer pump. A couple of things I have thought about trying is using frozen water in plastic milk jugs for cooling to pitch temps. Also, I use two part pour foam for flotation in boat repairs and was pondering cutting ports in the cooler lid and cooler itself and pouring it full of foam. Heat loss would be cut more than half. Anyway, 2- row barley, peated barley malt and US 05 is on the way so I am looking forward to my first AG.
Down_Home52
Bootlegger

Postby tuner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 am

Question on Yeasts:
Bakers vs US-05 vs EC-1118

What are the effects of each yeast on an all grain mash?

Cheers
tuner
Novice

Postby cuginosgrizzo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 am

tuner wrote:Question on Yeasts:
Bakers vs US-05 vs EC-1118

What are the effects of each yeast on an all grain mash?

Cheers

In my scotch I use US-05.

Bakers ferments at higher temps and gives lots of esters. US-05 is somewhat cleaner and it likes colder temps, EC-1118 is yet cleaner and dry, and it also likes colder temps.

Neither will give you the floral notes that you find in some speyside whiskies.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby tuner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 am

cuginosgrizzo wrote:In my scotch I use US-05.
Bakers ferments at higher temps and gives lots of esters. US-05 is somewhat cleaner and it likes colder temps, EC-1118 is yet cleaner and dry, and it also likes colder temps.
Neither will give you the floral notes that you find in some speyside whiskies.

What a great Website - but at times it's like the "X-files" you have to dig deep to find the answers:
High ester yeast for whiskey
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p7485963
Pure acids and ester production
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67010&hilit=floral+notes
Cheers
tuner
Novice

Postby tuner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am

der wo wrote:Good read. :D
You have mentioned all the options you have. Now you have to choose. Look at the large Malt Whisky recipes here, read all the comments and choose. And then soon you will have a first result, which will provoke new questions.

My advice: Don't use the BIAB for mashing, but use it for straining. You need an even temperature and the ability to stir well. Both is more difficult with a BIAB. Never heat the mash, only heat the water.

der wo wrote:Per 10l mash:

- 6.5l water at 60°C in an insulated vessel.
- Switch it off and throw in 2kg(7%abv) - 2.75kg(10%abv) crushed malt.
- Wait and stir occasionally minimum 2 hours.
- Filter and press the mash with a BIAB cloth.
- Now you have probably around 6l filtered mash. You want at the end 10l. So the second water has to be 10 - 6 = 4l. Heat the 4l water up to at least 90°C.
- Switch it off and throw the malt back into the vessel
- Wait and stir occasionally until the temp has dropped to 55°C or lower. You can remove the insulation to speed this up if you want.
- Filter and press it and mix it to the first mash.
- Close it and pitch yeast after temp has dropped enough. I also like to add nutrients.

The first low temp water protects the enzymes. The second high temp water solves all the sugar and starch out of the malt. The enzymes of the first water will convert the starches of the second water during cooling down and fermentation.

Thanks for this "der wo" I did two batches last weekend and a thrid during the week, using your mashing instructions, scaled up to 30L. I now have three 30 litre ( 90 Litres) to distill! They all smell and taste great! Used 50% heavy peated malt and 50% distillers malt.
Cheers
tuner
Novice

Previous

Return to Recipe Development