Grain Alcohol and Moonshine

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Re: Grain Alcohol and Moonshine

Post by Tater »

I took a look at that site myself. I think the author is mistaken in his calling that a thumper.Slobber or puke barrel is what Ive seen them called. They were used in case of boiling over or puking.You know yourself should only be steam when still is being operated correctly. But in old days with wood fires it was harder to control heat. Grand dad used both on his stills puker and thumper Thumpers Ive seen were where 1 pipe went into some liquid and other wasn't so steam came out. Reason they called em thumper was sound they make when coming up to temp and starting to produce was a thumping or kinda rumble thunder like noise. Ive seen this and know it to be true . But what other foke call stuff at other places I cant say.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

gotta agree with tater. - one barel outfit- doublein keg in pipe goes bout 2 inches off bottom an cut at 45. that gets keg to condence in vaper an cook keg juice back to vaper. pipe out is just in enough for a weld . how it is cant see how it gonna heat you juice without a fire underneath before the charge is done.
puke box mostly both pipes go in a about 1/4 way down .
yup a doublein keg will walk on you if you aint got it right.
round here cold water goes in botom - if you got the means- an hot out the side at the top for coolin barel.
think them folks read that book that says likker wont age in glass

so im tole
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

tater wrote:I took a look at that site myself. I think the author is mistaken in his calling that a thumper.Slobber or puke barrel is what Ive seen them called. They were used in case of boiling over or puking.You know yourself should only be steam when still is being operated correctly. But in old days with wood fires it was harder to control heat. Grand dad used both on his stills puker and thumper Thumpers Ive seen were where 1 pipe went into some liquid and other wasn't so steam came out. Reason they called em thumper was sound they make when coming up to temp and starting to produce was a thumping or kinda rumble thunder like noise. Ive seen this and know it to be true . But what other foke call stuff at other places I cant say.
Exactly! Thank you Tater. (and Goose)
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

punkin wrote:
goinbroke2 wrote:Bullcrap article and so was the references.

Left comments on both.

Love the picture of the thump keg which "is to seperate out the solids"! :shock:
Shows both pipes out of the water!

Didn't see the picture you are talking about, but sounds like a puke barrell. They have both lines outa the water and are used to seperate the solids and any puking liquids.... :roll: ....

Yes, as you can see, i tried to explain to you what it was. Maybe the rolly eye thing made you think i was trying to make you look stupid.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I'm not getting in a pissing contest.

I know what a puke barrel is and what a thumper is. They are not the same. The uneducated writer mixed the two up. He said (and I quoted) "the thump keg which is to seperate out the solids", that is NOT the purpose of a thumper, that is the purpose of a puke barrel.

There were many mistakes, as is typical when someone writes an article from googling all their info and not having any first hand knowledge.

I'll stand by my "bullcrap article" view of it.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Yes, of course, article is bullcrap. Just seems strange you would thank tater and goose and insult me, when all three provided the same information.

ButWhoGivesAFuckPunkin