looking for a Cracked corn 2 row barley recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chrisl
Novice

looking for a Cracked corn 2 row barley recipe

Post by chrisl »

I have been wanting to do my first cooked mash, using cracked corn and 2 row Barley. I have not had any luck finding a recipe. The closest recipe that I have found is using flaked corn, can cracked be substituted. Any Ideas. Thank You Chrisl
rubber duck
retired

Re: looking for a Cracked corn 2 row barley recipe

Post by rubber duck »

Here's what i have done for a 2 row and corn recipe:
Use about 1-1.5 gallons of water for each 2 pounds of grain
50% cracked corn cooked for about 2 hours
25% 2 row added at 145f
25% 2 row added at yeast pitch.
The reason most folks like using flaked corn is that it's a lot easier to cook. it's been presteamed so it can be rolled. So with cracked corn you realy need to cook the hell out of, it no big deal it just takes more time.
With 2 row barley there are less enzymes than in six row, some times as little as half. I dont know what variety of 6 row your using but 50% 2 row barley variety shoud get you good conversion. If your using 6 row you can get away with 20% in your mash.
As for yeast on a corn recipie i like a scotish or irish ale yeast but any thing you have on hand will work just fine.

Hope that helps.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Thank You Very much for that recipe. When cooking the cracked corn should the water be at a boil, or what temp to convert at. Thank You Chris
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I bring the corn to a boil or close to it and cook the hell out of it. Don't do it on your stove top, that might get you banished from the kitchen.

To do the conversion I wait till the temp on the corn drops to about 150f-160f and add half of the 2 row, (25% of the grain bill) and try to hold the temp above 140f but not above155f for 2 hours or so.The addition of the barley will drop the temp 5 deg f or so. Crush your barley, or for this aplication ground will work, and mix it in with the corn. Now what I do is once I know I've got the 2 hours of initial conversion just let sit till its cool. That takes all night the way I do it.

When you get down to a proper temp to pitch yeast mix in the rest of your 2 row (25% of your grain bill) and add yeast.

Just as a side note this ferment is to be done on grain, not sparged, I figure you know that but assummtion is the root of all evil right.

I use a food grade barrel or plastic trash can rapped in r13 insulation to convert and ferment my mashes in, its cheep its easy and it works very well.

All I have with in a 6 hour round trip from hear is 2 row domestic pale and this method works for me. If you have access to 6 row you can use 20% or, if you can get a 2 row with more enzimmes you can use less barly.

Sorry if I over did it on the info, just not shure how much exp you have with grain. Hope this helps have fun.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Hey thank you Duck: I just did a all malt wash Sunday. I used 2 pounds malted 2 row crushed, per gallon, for a total of 14 pounds and seven gallons of water. I used PH buffer first and stirred it real good. I checked the PH and it was at 6. I heated the water to 170 added a teaspoon of alpha amilyse. I then slowly stirred in the barley, turned off the heat. The temp came down to about 160, and it held at for 1.5 hours at about 145. I got to see my first conversion. I have made a lot of cheese, and it looks just like, when the whey, leaves the curds? I cooled it down, and strained it. I got a SG of 1.070 this seemed high. I let it rest over night and tonight, I put the yeast two packets of "Lalvin EC 1118" start in a glass, with some of the wash, for about a hour. Then pitched it. we will see. Any thoughts on what I did wrong or right. Thank you Chris
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

I checked the wash this morning and it is bubbling nice since Monday night. I got homr from work and it is done bubbling. I will let it go until tommorow night and check the SG. Is it normal, for the wash that I described above, to be done in low thirty hours. I will run this on friday and tell the results. Thanks Chris
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I can buy a 10 kilo bag of corn flour (not as fine as wheat flour but finer than corn meal) at the local bulk store and am thinking that this might make a decent base for corn whiskey.
I'll pick up a couple kilos of malted barley at the brew shop. and make a go of it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Your mash may very well be done, chrisl, especially if you got good conversion and used a yeast starter... You'll know when you test and taste it...
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

I just tested the wash and I have a SG of 1.030 and still can taste sugar. Should I add more yeast and start again? Chrisl
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

just let it go for a few more days and check it agian. You had a pretty high gravity to start with and the 1118 yeast is a bit slow to ferment.

If your realy intrested in doing all malt wiskey you might want to make a simple sparge bucket, or a sparging cooler. When you simply strain the malt you leave a lot of shugar behind. A sparge bucket is a simple way to rinse your grain and get better efficiency and in turn more alcohol.

Other then that good luck on your first all grain run.