sweet feed with pellets?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antaean
Swill Maker

Re: sweet feed with pellets?

Post by Antaean »

My first few runs I used a sweet feed with pellets, until I found a sweet feed with all grain....I am blaming the pellets but those runs did have a different/off flavor...still good but not as good as the all gain sweet feet..just my two cents I am new to all this and learning everyday
evenburn
Novice

Post by evenburn »

Just chiming in...I have had great success with sweet feed containing pellets. the brand i use has barley and corn listed first in the ingredients...thats important. secondly i always strain the "moosh" that is created out of my wash prior to fermentation. I always add 2 lbs. of sugar per gallon of water used to increase yields. ive had much success using a high gravity non dry yeast. it takes longer to drop but i'm averging about 18% ABV. Good Luck!
gonagin58
Novice

Post by gonagin58 »

Don't ask for "sweet feed" ask for wet COB. It's corn oats, barley and molasses.
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

so much like you all, i have struggled to find a decent "sweet feed" to use as a grain for my wash... (and i have tried a few) here is the best i've got: you can get it at the tractor supply "producers pride all grain"(at the store) or "producers pride 10%"(on the website). it is the same feed mix, and is completely all grain.
Old Copper Road Distillery
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

fqu8847 wrote:so much like you all, i have struggled to find a decent "sweet feed" to use as a grain for my wash... (and i have tried a few) here is the best i've got: you can get it at the tractor supply "producers pride all grain"(at the store) or "producers pride 10%"(on the website). it is the same feed mix, and is completely all grain.
Those are the exact choices we have been recommending for years... Even the SKU's have been posted, as well as the bags and ingredient tags, several times...
Deezil
Swill Maker

Post by Deezil »

well dammit, thought I had everything correctly lined up until I opened the bag... being a sacrificial run I went with it anyway, at least I wont feel as bad throwing away primo stuff!

now to search for the correct stuff.
cole22
Novice

Post by cole22 »

i ran into the same problem with a lot of pellets in my sweet feed, i was so mad when i opened it and saw that. but it makes some great smooth shine. you dont have to strain it either if youre just using a 5 gallon bucket or so to hold your mash. when mine is done fermenting i just siphon the liquid on top and leave the nsaty mush crap in the bucket and toss it. i ran it and it came out fine and didnt scrotch.