sweet feed with pellets?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweet feed with pellets?

Post by Kentucky shinner »

bring it on brother I love it.... :D
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

success!!!! well sorta... did a stripping run last night of 10gals of this stuff. actually closer to 13 now that i think of it. still is a 50l/14gal boiler and we damn near filled it. ive heard of the "only fill 2/3 full" rule but i have 55gals of this to strip and a 3ft column on my rig so i figured i wouldnt get any foam all the way up the column and out the spout. distillate may have a blue hue to it im not sure as i had just poured it from the collection pot into glass jugs for storage until its time for a spirit run. may have been tiny bubbles or blue im not sure. its not at my house so i havent checked it today. if its blue (oils right?) ive had that happen to me on my last stuff (cooked ujsm) and it cleared right up in the spirit run so im not too worried. should i be? i couldnt find either of my hydrometers so i couldnt check SP of mash or % of distillate. wash seems ok, but that damn white infection keep coming back but the more experienced hands on here tell me not to worry about it. smells boozy as hell though, like old wine/hot beer with a lovely penicillin note to due im sure to the white crap on top. problem is no SP so i cant tell if it stalled on me or not. its not sweet but i got what i thought was a low return of distillate. only about 1 1/3 gals of ?% from the 13gal stripping run. seems kinda low eh? percent of distillate was pretty high i assume. took about 350mL of foreshots off nice and slow and threw em in to a cold fire pit. one flick of the lighter and poof! even the fore shots burned with a nice blue flame with almost no yellow visible. since i had no proof hydrometer i checked it old school. distillate burned blue with no yellow, evaporated very quickly when rubbed into the hands and stripped the hairs from the inside of your nose if you stuck it in the jar too far! im sure it will be a bit of a pain in the ass when i get to the bottom of the barrel and the mush left there but i plan on leaning the barrel on a 45 degree angle and using a shovel to scoop into a pillow case and squeezein it. my advice to you kicker is to try this out, or actually wait and see what KYShinner says. he knows a lot more than this noob and id trust him over me. im gonna keep up with it ad see what kind of final product i get. i plan on trying some fresh, some aged in glass in a dark cupboard for two weeks-a month and most of it aged on charred oak (thanks NC). i will keep you all filled in on my pellet hooch adventures as they progress.
m.

PS one thing i did different was i removed all of the packing from my column. we checked out the copper scrubbers before running last night and they were black and or silver. when i bought them there were "copper coated" and "copper", i obviously bought the ones label "copper scrubers". seems that "copper" is the same shit as "copper coated" pissed me off something fierce. we thought we were detecting a mineral note to our ujsm and i guess that was it. im still drinking it. drank half a pint last night with a 6 pack and felt ok this morning. only had to take one Advil! so this stuff is being run with no copper in the vapor path unless you count the 2ft condenser. (that doesnt count as "vapor path" does it?) or the 2inches of copper tube from the column to the condenser. lesson learned, dont believe the label on "copper" scrubbers and buy yourself some copper mesh from brewhaus or mile hi brothers.
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:bring it on brother I love it.... :D
KS, yer allright........for a moonshiner.... :P
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

All right MuleKicker you ole bastard, I did the first strip run on the sweet feed wash with pellets. taste pretty damn good to me, I dont think it is as good as the sweet feed without the pellets but I am happy with it. I am going to strip more but I think its fine.
so there ye go ole bud...
KS
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:All right MuleKicker you ole bastard, I did the first strip run on the sweet feed wash with pellets. taste pretty damn good to me, I dont think it is as good as the sweet feed without the pellets but I am happy with it. I am going to strip more but I think its fine.
so there ye go ole bud...
KS

Great to hear KS. Ill be going to the feed store tomorrow.. I'll take back some of the bad things I said about you now :ewink:
-Control Freak-
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great to hear KS. Ill be going to the feed store tomorrow.. I'll take back some of the bad things I said about you now :ewink:[/quote]

:lol: .
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

well I am not as happy with the finished product from the feed with pellets vs. without. The shit this left in the bottom of my fermenter is nasty. I dumped it and went back to the feed store and bought 50# of all grain sweetfeed for 7$. 30 gallon ferment working right now.
If you can find all grain I think you will be much happier.
KS
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Was there an off taste/smell, or just the shit in the keg? Good info here man! cheers.
-Control Freak-
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

It was just the stuff left in the fermenter. I racked it off so I did not get it in my boiler. I did not taste bad just not quite as good as the all grain sweetfeed. But I am sure it will change with some age on it. Hell it may be better. I will just have to wait and see.
KS
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

KS:
the all grain stuff, what brand is it? I'd rather be using that too. I like the idea of seeing the grains and not wondering about the contents about the pellets y'know?
M.
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

We have a local feed store that makes there own grain feed. They dont even have anything with pellets accept rabbit food. Corn, Wheat, Oats and molasses.
I think I am very fortunate to have them.
KS
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

You are lucky. I talked to the owner at our feed store, he said most places wont mill there own sweet feed. I guess the molases is hard on the mill. Thats was his excuse anyway..... :roll:
-Control Freak-
docdave
Bootlegger

Post by docdave »

Hey, I just bought a bag of sweet feed from a feed store in Ontario. I read the posts on this thread and was freaking out about pellets. The tag on the bag said all grain so I opened it up and to my surprise it was all grain and no pellets! There is a horsetrack nearby and lots of people have horse farms. I'm sure they are are pretty picky about what they feed their horses. I guess I'll give KS' recipe and see what happens. Sorry to all who got pellets!
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey man, great I hope you like it. Let us know how it goes man. I have never had a wash fail me with it yet.. I hope you like some Rumskey :ewink:
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

Ok! I know I'm going to catch some he'll for this, but I have ask. SAMs wholesale sells sweet feet with pellets in it. I looked at the ingredients and found no sign of alfalfa. I tore a bag open and saw that there was very little grain besides corn. The ingredient list stated that the barley was "textured.". What do ya think? It was cheap.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Horse_Shoe wrote:Ok! I know I'm going to catch some he'll for this, but I have ask. SAMs wholesale sells sweet feet with pellets in it. I looked at the ingredients and found no sign of alfalfa. I tore a bag open and saw that there was very little grain besides corn. The ingredient list stated that the barley was "textured.". What do ya think? It was cheap.
I tried looking up the specifications on the Sam's Club site but there was no breakdown of the feeds composition... Didn't try checking the manufacturers site...
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

Update on the "Sam's Club" sweet feed. I looked up some competing ingredient labels and it paired up ok. The pellets inside are the "textured barley." Anyhow, I poured the whole 50 lbs. in a 55 gallon plastic drum with 10 gallons of boiling hot water and 10 gallons of tap water. The pellets disintegrated. I stirred it up and waited until the temp got down to around 95F, then pitched Superstart Dry Distillers yeast. It took off like a rocket! It's finished up now and settling out, seven days later. I'm anxiously waiting on my flute to arrive so I can distill it. The wash, or mash, smells great!
Wavfact
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wavfact »

Horse_show, how did the Sam's club SF turn out in the end? I seen it last night while shopping but as you said, the grains were not listed on the bag so I didn't buy it.. Didn't want to get stuck with a 50lb bag of cheap horse feed.. suppose there are worse things.. lol
nightstalker
Novice

Post by nightstalker »

Hey Have done three runs with the sweet feed , consistantly high abv...but the mash is tuff to drain ...my runs are so clean it amazes the old tymers...strong abv 80% champange yeast ,7 days ferment ...I run a pot still, only clean wash in ...pulling 3 clean quarts less heads and tails ....just the pellets are a pain ..
outdoor_cookin
Novice

Post by outdoor_cookin »

just want to double check. i added the grain that has the pellets and the sugar then added 2 gallons of boiling water and stired for a while. i'm using a 8 gallon ferment bucket and the stuff looks like a bunch of mash so far. waiting 90 mins to add the cool water just want to check and make sure im on the right track. thanks
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

outdoor_cookin wrote:just want to double check. i added the grain that has the pellets and the sugar then added 2 gallons of boiling water and stired for a while. i'm using a 8 gallon ferment bucket and the stuff looks like a bunch of mash so far. waiting 90 mins to add the cool water just want to check and make sure im on the right track. thanks
Sounds like it. Just fallow the sweetfeed recipe found in the tried and true recipe section. It should lay it all out for you.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
nightstalker
Novice

Post by nightstalker »

I cook the sweet feed to 150 degrees for a hour then I strain the mash, I add two gallons of distilled water to cool it down then 6 lbs sugar and let it cool to 100 degrees..add the yeast then let it sit in the fermentor and bubble for a week. I run a 7 gallon pot still. I did a a few runs with the sweet feed and the taste is good..but has a slight after bite..It does get better as it sits. The pellets are a pain in the ass, but after all the talk of sweet feed I wanted to run it. I used blue seal corse 14 has all the inged. on the label can only hope its right no roughage listed. I get great abv out of it, it just doesnt have that clean crisp taste of good corn shine.
fooznfool
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fooznfool »

Here is the one I use.....no pellets...all grain.
Attachments
Sweet-Feed.jpg
Distilling is like good sex!! Slow, leaves you with that good feeling, and makes the neighbors wonder what the heck is going on that time of the morning!
on1wheel01

Post by on1wheel01 »

Few months old but I am about to run my first two batches 4 gal each of pellet sweet feed. Next time I will only buy the good stuff. But I plan on running it twice. So hopefully some of the bad taste or what not would come out. Will report back.
on1wheel01

Post by on1wheel01 »

Well ran it. Ended up with 2.5 quarts of 80 proof before I couldn't take the smell anymore. I will never do this again lol. Liquid smells horrid and taste the same. I only hope a second run will cure it. Or I may just pour it all out.
jimh1985
Novice

Post by jimh1985 »

Ive used it problem is it swells so badly that youl have a big mess trying to strain it out but never the less it makes pretty good stuff. ill be going all grain after this last bit though.
on1wheel01

Post by on1wheel01 »

Here are the ingredients to the one I used. I am trying to decide if I can use the product I have made so far. I am going to let the deer have the rest, and buy all grain. Ideas guys?

Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Theo »

On the ingredients you want to see corn (flaked or rolled), barley (same) & oats; or something close to that. You never know what you get when it says grain products. :crazy:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
on1wheel01

Post by on1wheel01 »

Theo wrote:On the ingredients you want to see corn (flaked or rolled), barley (same) & oats; or something close to that. You never know what you get when it says grain products. :crazy:

I agree so should I toss the 2 quarts that I have
illegalArm
Novice

Post by illegalArm »

I have done this recipe with all stock sweet feed pellets from tractor supply..its BAD STUFF!! Burns the nose and the back of my eyeballs when I smell..taste like @!#$ I still have it on the shelf from about 2 month ago.. 4 pints.. IT hasn't gotten any better yet..I WILL NOT EVER TRY THIS AGAIN!! Now I recently started to blend my own feed mix and I have a whole lot that will last for a while for lots of different recipes . Just went down to a real feed store and bought bulk 50lbs sacks of sweet crimped oats, cracked corn, Elbon Rye, and steamed crimped barley.. added 12oz jar of some good quality molasses from the supermarket mixed.. and... hell yeah!! 1" of each grain in 5 gal bucket with molasses... then follow recipe. OR..WHAT I LEARNED..Leave the molasses out until you reach 150 F then add 12oz of malt and the molasses..THIS WILL HELP TO KEEP IT FROM STICKING AND BURNING=LESS BABYSITTING.. also I warm up the molasses before pouring to help get it all out of the jar! I used light brown sugar instead or white..more of a rum flavor.. really good!